The reason to finally stop watching South Park

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

skerr1031

The reason to finally stop watching South Park

Postby skerr1031 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:00 pm

I have been a fan of South Park since the pilot episode back in 97. My mother hated the show and that made me want to watch it even more. I used to sit at the ready every Wednesday night, now that has been shattered.
I always understood that half the reason they created most of their episodes was to stir up controversy. Everything from jew jokes, to alien probes, to killing everyone, all great.
Now with the most recent s12 episode, Britney's new look, I will no longer be watching South Park. How can anyone possibly have any sympathy for a celebrity? You get paid millions of dollars a year to deal with all the fans and the rest of the hassles. If you wanted to have a life without being hounded by the media, it's simple, don't be a celebrity. Ok, if you want to say "Oh. well her parents started her on the path and it wasn't her fault". BS, her parents knew what would happen too. It's not like this whole Papparazzi thing started last year. It's been the same ever since there was media.
All in all, I think it's sickening that anyone should have any sympathy for these people. THAT'S WHAT THEY GET ALL THE MONEY THAT WE WISH WE HAD. But, I guess if I also made millions of dollars I might feel bad too.

Anyway, Thanks Matt n Trey for bringing to a close your 12 year legacy, for me that is.
HAcoreRD

Re: The reason to finally stop watching South Park

Postby HAcoreRD » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:46 pm

Very shallow minded, and using one episode as a reason to stop watching an entire series is weak.

Celebrities are people. They are humans like you, me, your mother, your father, Matt and Trey. They deserve privacy, not having to live in hiding at fear of someone creeping around with a camera.

Also South Park isn't always about controversy. Granted, controversy gets media attention, and that's worth like 4 super bowl commercials at minimum, more attention = more cash, but South Park has grown beyond the simple jew jokes. South Park leaves you with something to think about, and yesterday's message was: it's time to leave Britney Spears alone.

It's sad enough she head lines media when daily disasters occur, or maybe there's good news to report, and her life spiraling down shouldn't be house hold knowledge at this point.

Furthermore, you can damn well blame the parents if they propelled her on this path. It's not like parents have best interest intended for their kids, heck, if I had a kid, I'd see if I could exploit his talents for money until he/she's 18, who's to say that wasn't their plan?

Well, I'm not convincing you to watch, just debating your reason for stopping.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:05 pm

I agree with HAcoreRD, but I would like to say that to be a celebrity, you need the paparazzi. NOT to that extent though. Just because you sing or appear on TV at any one time doesn't make you a celebrity, or think of all the people on the American Idol auditions or all the news anchors that would be celebrities. You see, a celebrity is a well-known person that is hounded by the paparazzi. Without the paparazzi, Britney would just be like the mayor of San Fransisco, in terms of being able to walk around and only get a few autograph requests.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
oilyGAVIN

Postby oilyGAVIN » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:25 am

I agree, I think South Park is kinda going down the drain...all these new episodes are so...political and what not...I miss the old days, with Christmas adventures...and just random episodes.
You shouldn't a done dat.
He's just a boy.
Poor little feller.
skacraze330

Postby skacraze330 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:04 am

Jakovasaur (spell check) was a lame episode but i did not stop watching south park because of it......I wasn't into the Britney Episode either but i'm not gonna give up that easily.........They have been making this show for 12 seasons.....They are bound to make mistakes......you would too. A real fan would not stop watching because of 1 or even 2 bad episodes. Guaranteed you'll watch next wednesday..... :unhoodedkenny: the episode was not just calling out the media......I saw them showing how it is both britney's fault and the media its more complex than a simple its the media's fault/parents/or britney's its a combination.
"Yes.......I'm a rocker" - Skylar
oilyGAVIN

Postby oilyGAVIN » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:27 am

skacraze330 wrote:Jakovasaur (spell check) was a lame episode but i did not stop watching south park because of it......I wasn't into the Britney Episode either but i'm not gonna give up that easily.........They have been making this show for 12 seasons.....They are bound to make mistakes......you would too. A real fan would not stop watching because of 1 or even 2 bad episodes. Guaranteed you'll watch next wednesday..... :unhoodedkenny: the episode was not just calling out the media......I saw them showing how it is both britney's fault and the media its more complex than a simple its the media's fault/parents/or britney's its a combination.

Yeah, I didn't/don't like a lot of episodes, including the past two, but I'm still gonna watch it next Wednesday because...well, it's a great show. Oh, and who wants Kenny to start dying or even, be in episodes again?
He's just a boy.
Poor little feller.
skacraze330

Postby skacraze330 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:31 am

oilyGAVIN wrote:
skacraze330 wrote:Jakovasaur (spell check) was a lame episode but i did not stop watching south park because of it......I wasn't into the Britney Episode either but i'm not gonna give up that easily.........They have been making this show for 12 seasons.....They are bound to make mistakes......you would too. A real fan would not stop watching because of 1 or even 2 bad episodes. Guaranteed you'll watch next wednesday..... :unhoodedkenny: the episode was not just calling out the media......I saw them showing how it is both britney's fault and the media its more complex than a simple its the media's fault/parents/or britney's its a combination.

Yeah, I didn't/don't like a lot of episodes, including the past two, but I'm still gonna watch it next Wednesday because...well, it's a great show. Oh, and who wants Kenny to start dying or even, be in episodes again?

ya my post was for Skerr1031 but ya totally agree you're not gonna like everything....like in seinfeld i hate some of the episodes but its one of my all time fave shows same thing with SP I hope we have some episodes of 4th grade issues.
yayablahblah

Postby yayablahblah » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:33 am

i think this new season is amazing and will probably go down as the best one yet...i normally wouldnt join a forum, but i have been blown away by these two episodes, and i wanted to see what everyone thought about it...

and i really think everyone who has posted bullsh*t commentaries on these episodes are totally missing the point...totally. the britney episode was so great.

i have liked everything trey and matt have done without being fanatical about it, and i think that they have broken new ground...

i keep hearing people talk about wanting to see more kenny death...save kenny! kill yourself!

sweet dude
skacraze330

Postby skacraze330 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:35 am

yayablahblah wrote:i think this new season is amazing and will probably go down as the best one yet...i normally wouldnt join a forum, but i have been blown away by these two episodes, and i wanted to see what everyone thought about it...

and i really think everyone who has posted bullsh*t commentaries on these episodes are totally missing the point...totally. the britney episode was so great.

i have liked everything trey and matt have done without being fanatical about it, and i think that they have broken new ground...

i keep hearing people talk about wanting to see more kenny death...save kenny! kill yourself!

sweet dude

;) you copy and paste but ya I have faith in MT!
oilyGAVIN

Postby oilyGAVIN » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:36 am

yayablahblah wrote:i think this new season is amazing and will probably go down as the best one yet...i normally wouldnt join a forum, but i have been blown away by these two episodes, and i wanted to see what everyone thought about it...

sweet dude

Okay...when did you start watching South Park?
He's just a boy.
Poor little feller.
Schantrac

Postby Schantrac » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:06 am

Okay its not THE BEST SEASON EVAR OMG so far, but its not complete crap either.

I haven't seen the latest episode, but I've heard from several that it was.. well..

but one episode isn't enough to turn you off a show completely. Its when you see a pattern of bad episodes string after the other that you know its taken a turn for the worse. The art of south park is that it hasn't done that yet. It's had its bad episodes, Yes. It's later seasons are nothing compared to its earlier ones, Yes, but it hasn't lost its charm.
No moar sig lolz.

Until I make a better one anyways.

My soundclick profile.
mykmedia

Postby mykmedia » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:21 am

sweet dude

I TOTALLY AGREE
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST SEASONS
MNT JUST GET SMARTER
THIS LAST EPISODE WAS NOT MEANT TO MAKE YOU LAUGH
IT WAS MEANT TO MAKE YOU THINK!
I'M SO PISSED OFF ABOUT EVERYONE WANTING KENNY
IF YOU WANT STUPID LOW BROW HUMOR WATCH FAMILY GUY
SOUTH PARK HAS SUBSTANCE
THEIR FIRST TWO SEASONS DIDN'T BECAUSE THEY WERE JUST f*cking AROUND
BUT BY NOW
SEASON 12
THEY'RE MAKING VERY GOOD POINTS
THEY DIDN'T WIN PEABODY AWARDS AND EMMYS FOR NOTHING
THIS EPISODE WAS ABOUT THE SICK OBESSION WE ALL HAVE TO WATCH CELEBRITIES FALL
IT WASN'T JUST ABOUT BRITANY
EXPECT THEM TO MAKE MORE VITAL POINTS
BECAUSE I THINK THEY'RE AT THE POINT WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN AT IT FOR SO LONG THAT DON'T CARE IF THEY LOOSE FANS AT THE EXPENSE OF MAKING A POINT
THEY DON'T NEED TO MAKE DICK AND FART JOKES ANY MORE
I THINK BY NOW ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE JUST TOO STUPID TO WATCH SOUTH PARK AND FULLY UNDERSTAND IT
HAcoreRD

Postby HAcoreRD » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Just keep in mind, we're 2 episodes in.

So the season start's weak. Season 9 had a weak start, as did 6. You need to have faith and give them more time, not every episode's going to be gold, because if that was the case, gold would have less value.
Cartmansgurl

Postby Cartmansgurl » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:59 pm

I think this season is going to be great... South Park has never let me down.. The show has gotten much more violent... I love it !!!
"Dont worry...You'll go out in style"
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:54 pm

Am I the only person to actually like the Britny episode? It's the best since "Cartman Sucks." Matt and Trey wern't petitioning for sympathy for Britney, just for the sake of their celebrity love, we all know how much they hate celebs. They were telling us there are more important (if more boring) things to do with our lives than obsess with the cult of celebrity. I agree with GTA, celebs need the paparazi, but the press needs to stop worshiping them like a sick little cult. Matt and Trey probably just wanted to take the contreversial stance, supporting the celebrity, but they wern't saying they don't need paparazi attention. They were saying the media needs to concentrate on other things more.

It's not like they havn't given variants of the message before, don't act all supprised. Ever seen the quest for ratings?

THIS LAST EPISODE WAS NOT MEANT TO MAKE YOU LAUGH
IT WAS MEANT TO MAKE YOU THINK!
[/quote

I think it was meant to do both. The aids episode didn't succeed in the laughter or the thinking part, the Britney one made up for that.

IF YOU WANT STUPID LOW BROW HUMOR WATCH FAMILY GUY
SOUTH PARK HAS SUBSTANCE

True, even if allcaps fury didn't have to be unleashed. Too many people want what's already on the market when they call for a return to seasons 1-4.

I THINK BY NOW ALOT OF PEOPLE ARE JUST TOO STUPID TO WATCH SOUTH PARK AND FULLY UNDERSTAND IT

Not to sound as pretentious as you, but that's true. A lot of people (Matt and Trey inclusive I think) don't even realise how deep the show can be when watched propperly. It's not Montey Python, it's evolved into something new.

I think we should just let M and T do what they want. Thety want contreversty and loosing fans, so we're giving them that I suppose ;)
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”