Please help me with my South Park dissertation/essay

Got an SP question you think other people know the answer to?

Moderator: Big-Will

loofykins

Please help me with my South Park dissertation/essay

Postby loofykins » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi guys, I'm a media production student and in the final stages of writing my end of year dissertation. I'm writing about whether South Parks crude humour and offensive nature is justified by its moral standpoint. I'd appreciate it if you could help me out and fill in my questionnaire.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. Or you can join my facebook group on the subject.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10103442228

Name:

1. Do you ever watch programmes that you know will offend certain groups in their content?

Yes/No

2. Politically, where do consider yourself to stand?

Right Wing/Conservative
Center
Left Wing/Liberal
Other

3. How often do you watch South Park?

Every Episode
Occasionally
Rarely
Never

4. Cartoons are often regarded as a being for younger audiences, do you think this is correct?

Yes/No

4. Are you a fan of the shows creators’, Matt Stone and Trey Parker’s, other ventures such as Team America: World Police?

Yes/No

5. Where do you watch South Park episodes?

Television
Streaming websites such as southparkzone.com
Download
Other

6. Do you think South Park has a good moral message in episodes, despite the crude and offensive humour?

Yes/No

7. Do you ever find yourself agreeing with some of South Parks own moral viewpoint?

Yes
Occasionally
No

8. Though showing an image of Islamic prophet Mohammed is offensive to Muslims, do you still think it should be allowed to be broadcast?

Yes/No

9. Do you agree that the television network Fox showed double standards when it censored Mohammed but allowed other religious figures to be freely ridiculed on the show?

Yes/No

10. Do you think South Park has or is in danger of going to far with the way it presents subject matter? If yes, please give an example?

Yes/No
butters kenny

Re: Please help me with my South Park dissertation/essay

Postby butters kenny » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Name:butters kenny(i refuse to say my real name so internet stalkers dont rape me):

1. Do you ever watch programmes that you know will offend certain groups in their content?

Yes

Other

Every Episode

4. Cartoons are often regarded as a being for younger audiences, do you think this is correct?

maby

4. Are you a fan of the shows creators’, Matt Stone and Trey Parker’s, other ventures such as Team America: World Police?

never heard of it

Television

6. Do you think South Park has a good moral message in episodes, despite the crude and offensive humour?

Yes

7. Do you ever find yourself agreeing with some of South Parks own moral viewpoint?

yes

8. Though showing an image of Islamic prophet Mohammed is offensive to Muslims, do you still think it should be allowed to be broadcast?

No

9. Do you agree that the television network Fox showed double standards when it censored Mohammed but allowed other religious figures to be freely ridiculed on the show?

No

10. Do you think South Park has or is in danger of going to far with the way it presents subject matter? If yes, please give an example?

Yes it could become to racist
Last edited by butters kenny on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:20 pm

Name: Paul T Cook

How can you watch tv, or read a book, or watch a play, without seeing something offensive to someone's standards? Of course I do, all the time I'm alive.

Sorry to advertise, but the website "Political Compass" uses it's super-advanced technology to pinpoint from a leangthy questionair your social libralism/totalitarianism against your economic comunism/capitolism. Give it a try, it's remarkably quick and painless!

I'm apparently a left-libertanian. If something doesn't hurt anyone it should be legal. Even if it does hurt the person who's doing it. If the law doesn't stop it there should be no law. Economic equality for all is the best guarantee of loving and happy society; each according to his ability and to each according to his preferences i'd say :)

So LEFT WING it is then.

Every episode. On DVD.

They're no worse than any other form of entertainment. If a parent is going to use the TV as a babbysitter, they get indoctrinated kids (well, they'd just indoctrinate them anyway but that's a story for another time) as I learnt from SP Episode 106, 'Death'. I learnt almost everything important I know from cartoons like Hannah Babera. WHile they can be harmfull, it all depends on weather you USE or ABUSE them.

No, it's not correct, in short.

Even listen to Immature: ballads for the 80's man. So YES.

New shows on THIS SITE. Repetes on DVD.

Not so much despite being offensive but because of it. Without the willingness to attack 'sacred cows' of our society, the one message that escapes petty political squables (unlike abortion and foetus issues I disagree on), the message that faith alone is never justification for a beliefe and nothing is beyond question, that allows rational debate and societal progress, would never come out because PC would force it into the closet and nail it shut.

YES.

Like anyone I sometimes disagree with M and T and sometimes agree. I agree more than I disagree though. Not in the sycophantic way though, so OCCASIONALLY.

What do you think? Dogma shouldn't be defended because it offends people to disect it. People were offended by evolution, and still hate homosexuality in some parts, that doesn't mean those are wrong.

YES

It could go too far on certain issues, but it generally only presents a one sided attack on 'sacred cows' presented one sidedly from the other side by everyone else (death camp of tollerence, Go God Go, My future self and me) and it's overall message saves it from this.

NO.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:21 pm

Glad to see somene get this most interesting area of reserch studdy. Well, my answer would be that the humour doesn't really need to be defended by politics or philosophy, if you have a sense of humour: it's no worse than anything you see in Nick, it's only our socially conditioned squeemishness that makes us find toilets disgusting. The politics if anything is the most worrying thing about the show, but it's main message, that nothing is to be believed beyond question and a rational reason must be had for everything that's believed (no simple faith in anything) would defend anything else they say.

I know you've probably already reserched him, but this professor provides a startlingly usefull defence of south park at college level. The books on south park and philosophy show just how important freedom of speach is.

JS Mill's seminal On Liberty tells us the importance of challanging even the right beliefs, so they arn't based on faith alone: that challange is provided by SP, making this an ethical show from a Utalitarian perspective.

From a situationist approach, the show's most unkind to everyone and so evil, but the situationist approach is itself evil, as it chickens out of stopping anything by Utalitarian standards is attrocious from occuring, because it's motivated by that fickelly defined emotion, love; emotivism like that isn't worth it's salt as a moral theory.

Kantianism would render anything satirical unethical, as all satire (and most humour at that) degrades the dignity of another: but who wants to live in a dignified and humourless world, who'd be happy there?

Religious dogma is obviously a faulty theory, for too many reasons to go into here, but mainly that different faiths clash so spectacuarly in that regard. As is shown in SP. So anything faiths say about SP should be discounted.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
teh-lolrus

Postby teh-lolrus » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Name: teh-lolrus

Yes

Left Wing/Liberal

Occasionally (new episodes)

Depends.

5. Are you a fan of the shows creators’, Matt Stone and Trey Parker’s, other ventures such as Team America: World Police?

Yes.

6. Where do you watch South Park episodes?

Television.

7. Do you think South Park has a good moral message in episodes, despite the crude and offensive humour?

Sometimes.

8. Do you ever find yourself agreeing with some of South Parks own moral viewpoint?

Occasionally

9. Though showing an image of Islamic prophet Mohammed is offensive to Muslims, do you still think it should be allowed to be broadcast?

I dunno...

10. Do you agree that the television network Fox showed double standards when it censored Mohammed but allowed other religious figures to be freely ridiculed on the show?

Yes

11. Do you think South Park has or is in danger of going to far with the way it presents subject matter? If yes, please give an example?

Not really.
._.
aerisangel16

Postby aerisangel16 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:51 pm

This is weird! I, too, am in a media production class and I am doing my HUGE HUGE research paper on South Park as well. Actually its very very close to what you are doing your paper on. I had to conduct a huge survey as well. I gave people a survey about "Cartoon Wars". So I'll more than gladly help you out here.
Name: (won't give my name, but I'll answer every other question)

Yes

Center

Every Episode

No

Yes

Television

I do both. I watch it whenever its on and I'll watch the streaming episodes if I'm bored.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

seriously, we are pretty much doing the same project. WEIRD.
loofykins

Postby loofykins » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:32 pm

Seems I keep getting views, but not many people filling in the questions. That makes me a sad panda. Come on guys, it only takes a few minutes, if that.

Cheers,
Chris.
randomcolors5

Postby randomcolors5 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:49 am

Name:Random

Yes/whitest kids u'know

Other

Every Episode

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes/south park's:jesus,god,satan

Yes/it could become too well alot of stuff.
Marilyn Manson rocks! don't let anybody tell you otherwise!
skippy78

Postby skippy78 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:42 am

Name:skippy

Hell yes

I support anarchy

Every Episode - obviously or I wouldn't be here

Yes more of a generational gap.

Yes

Television

No - I like the that everyone is fair game - Then again I want to be entertained not educated

Occasionally

Yes

Yes

Yes - Some of the newer episodes haven't been as funny because they are too message oriented or just plain not funny and depressing.

Return to “Q&A”