What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

marvel_freak_42
Posts: 1776
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:55 pm

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby marvel_freak_42 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:55 am

Hat, I must say that I agree with just about 99.9% of the criteria you've posted. Every one of my relationships has failed due to either motivation, communication, commitment, etc. And I agree with the breakup as well... although I'm only on friendly terms with just one of my exes.
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
Aym_Dand
Posts: 2236
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:31 am

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby Aym_Dand » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:17 pm

Sorry to be the honest jerk here, lolrus, but I can think of two things your boyfriend might see in you. Either he's ugly too, but because you're both ugly, you have low standards and he thinks you're pretty in the same way you think he's handsome, or he's gay and using you as a beard in order to get his parents off his back.

Because trust me, I can't think of straight, normal guy who wants an acne-ridden chubby girl with unstable emotions. An acne-ridden chubby girl with a great personality I understand. Or a pretty girl with unstable emotions I understand. But all of them together is unacceptable unless the guy is a nightmare or gay.

Anyway, here's what I look for in a girl:

1. Fresh breath
2. Well read/good conversationalist
3. I am attracted to her, and she to me.
4. Smokes pot or at least is tolerant of it
5. Emotional stability
6. Has never slept with anyone better-looking than I.
7. Overall health/vitality/sense of life
8. Likes South Park
9. Full deepthroat capabilities
10. Well-managed vagina
________________________________________________________
I probably would have just put the f*cking lotion in the basket.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
PIPaul
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:29 pm

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby PIPaul » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:52 pm

I think there's more reasons he could like Lolrus than that; don't be too presumptuous. He could really like her personality, and from what she says in the Whining/venting thread, their personalities seem to be a good match.

I can't think of straight, normal guy who wants an acne-ridden chubby girl with unstable emotions

OK, don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to come on to you at all here. But I'd never say from your picture, that your hideously, Ugly-bob level unatractive Lolrus. Just a little plain, that's all, avarage. Same goes for your BF, not a monster, not hunkadora. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and your BF may like your looks, it all depends on what he likes.

ButtersKenny wrote:in other words butters?

Yeah, just put Butters personality on an adult person, and that's my perfect partner right there. I like healing peeps. I met a RL Butters once, not interested in me though sadly, well, not in that way.

lolrus wrote:Perhaps "opposites attract" is true sometimes

It all depends on what traits your opposite, and how strongly opposed you are. If your politically opposite, that isn't usually good; in fact, opposite beliefs are usually a very bad sighn. Now opposite temperments are useful, but it's generally the simmilarities that attract. From the few relationships I've seen.

lolrus wrote:It's much more important to get to know said person before you start randomly f*cking them.

It all depends on what you want out of a relationship. But if you want it to last, personality must play a biger part than physical pleasure.

HAT wrote:MOTIVATION

Some marraiges even end up being based on shoddy motives. In fact, a lot of marraiges are based on social or economic gains or escape from some latent pain. As the McCartney marraige can attest, they don't usually do well.

I wouldn't preclude all relationships that start with an ulterior motive. You could discover you really like the person for who they are, even if you start dating them for the wrong reasons. But if you only date them for those reasons, it won't bring happiness or last.

HAT wrote:TRUST

A little too much sted is placed in trust for my liking; to be able to perfectly trust your partner, you're expecting them to be super-human. You need to give them a lee-way for error, but a general feeling of trust is nescicary.

HAT wrote:POSESSIVENESS

It all depends on the kind of person involved. Some people want to be controlled, and get pleasure out of not having to deal with things by themselves, and others love to controll. It really depends weather the two people's views on controll are compatable. Two dominating partners is never a recipy for success, nor are two totally dependants.

HAT wrote:ALCOHOL AND OTHER SUBSTANCE USE-RELATED STUFF

Wouldn't really change my view of the person. Unless they cared more about the substance than me of course. Unless I had a flaw to even it out.

HAT wrote:JEALOUSY ISSUES

Jelousy is a real bummer; if the partner doesn't want you to have any other friends, are they worth that sacrifice? Are they better than ALL the friends you forgo for them? They're probably hypocrits too.

HAT wrote:SEPERATION

Doesn't have to be for long if a mobile phone is bought:) But no, paranoia isn't a good sign, it links to jelousy.

HAT wrote:COMMITMENT

All depends on what you look for in a relationship. If it's a polygamous/open relationship, not too important (but is the relationship really impoertant?) but otherwise... most relationships should be committed, but don't let a little affair ruin a long relationship.

HAT wrote:SEXUALITY

Few successful relationships put are based entirly around this; when the looks fade, do you still love them? Is it love or lust?

HAT wrote:COMUNICATION

Openess is a nescecity. Yes, no area should be off limits in a loving couple.

HAT wrote:INTERESTS

I could never date someone who hated South Park :)
But seriously, they need a few interests in common, and can't HATE your interests, or the relationship can't really suceed without changing the partners.

HAT wrote:PERSONALITY

Can't be overstated. It all depends what kind of things you tollerate and what traits you hate. Aall very subjective, but central to the relationship.
M00ndragon69
Posts: 9593
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:32 am

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:23 pm

So AYM, have you found your dream girl yet? With the standards you set, and the shallowness you just displayed, it might take awhile.

Basically, a big thing with me is I can't stand shallow guys or girls. Someone who has nothing better to do than look down their nose at people because of their body type, or how they dress, or for other reasons is a huge turn off for me. Why would I want to be intimate with someone who reminds me of the assh*les at my highschool? I would want someone who showers regularly and wears clean clothes and brushes their teeth, but I am not a freak about grooming..Infact I would definately prefer someone who doesn't resemble the yuppie scum I deal with at my job everyday.

I would also prefer someone who had enough in common with me that we can have fun doing things together. I would prefer someone who is also a huge horror fan so I wouldn't feel like I am dragging him or her to every horror movie I want to see the way some girls drag their boyfriends to chick flicks. And I definately would want someone who likes to go out and have fun..Go to the movies, or the beach, or to concerts or to the casinos or bars around here. I don't want to be stuck with someone who just wants to stay home all the time.

I also want someone who isn't possessive. Someone who understands that the friends I have had in my life before I met him/her are important to me too, and doesn't want me to choose him/her over my friends. I want someone stable enough to be secure in the relationship and not worry that my friends are going to turn me against him or her.,My former best friend chose her boyfriend over me and my brother because he didn't like us and she wanted to please him. You can imagine how that felt. I would not tolerate someone who would try to manipulate me into doing that to my friends, or who would control me the way he controls her. And needless to say, I am not going to let a guy run my life, or tell me what kind of job I should be doing or how I should dress or any of that crap.

As far as the rest of the stuff I would look for goes I don't really know except for I want someone who treats me well..I know the answer everyone wants to hear is that I am looking for someone emotionally stable, but it isn't the honest answer for me,I have been attracted to certain people who aren't. And, by the way for the most part all but one of them were nice people. And well, not everyone can help being unstable. People get emotionally unstable often for sh*t that happens in their lives they don't want. Nobody's perfect and that is the problem I think alot of people have in relationships. They are looking for someone perfect when they start out, and when they get in a relationship, they expect their partner to be perfect, and when that expectation isn't met,the problems begin. People aren't perfect. They have issues, and bad habits, and sometimes they get out of shape as they get older, and they get too tired to do stuff like clean the house. That is the way it is. The most important thing to consider in a relationship is if the other person treats you well and if you and them are happy together, and I think alot of people forget that.
Image
PIPaul
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:29 pm

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby PIPaul » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:51 pm

Someone who has nothing better to do than look down their nose at people because of their body type, or how they dress, or for other reasons is a huge turn off for me

If all a person cares about is looks, they arn't worth knowing. Maybee worth f*cking, but not knowing and loving. When the looks fade, do you still want to be with that slime-ball? That said, physical attraction is an important part of long-term marraige often, but it shouldn't be the most importan thing or the base of the relationship.

I want to share interests

If someone hates all the things I like, they pretty much hate me. If a few interests are out, that's fine, but when 90% of my time is spent doing something the other side either is meh about or hates outright, it's not the recipy for success.

I also want someone who isn't possessive

One person is never worth giving up all others for.

I have been attracted to certain people who aren't.

The big problem with AYM's point (well one of the big problems) is that a lot of people like instability. I'm not sure weather I'm attracted to it (in friends and love interests) because It's interesting and I'm boring or because I want to 'cure' them and make them feel better about their problems, but it does attract some people. Just because other people have different tastes to you AYM, doesn't mean they're gays in hiding.
Mr. Hat_DX27
Posts: 3616
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:50 pm

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:58 pm

Damn Aym, some of those expectations seem a little more unrealistic than others. Or are you hinting that you'll be a loner for the rest of your days? :P

...oh well, to each their own.
Image
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
KrazyKenny
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:49 pm

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby KrazyKenny » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:27 am

Well, I basically look for someone who's not a jerk.

LIKES

people who can make me laugh and/or smile

people who are honest

people that are willing to fight for what they think is right

people that will accept me for who I am

people who don't care if I'm quiet sometimes

people who share some of my intrests (metal and rock music [I hate country], art, photography, horror movies, blah blah blah.)

someone who is goofy and fun, but can be serious when needed


DISLIKES
arrogant assh*les who think they are better than everyone else

stupid full-of-themselves jocks who think they are great even
though they get lost in a conversation if you use a word with
more than five letters

people who change something about themselves just because other people tell them they should

liars

people who make fun of others that are trying their best

people who WILL NOT listen to reason or WILL NOT admit when they were wrong


What I look for most is someone who will be themselves no matter what the circumstances. ..... to bad I live in a hick town full of stupid stereotypical rednecks who don't accept anyone who is different than them and think that everyone has to fall into a certain category. Maybe that's the reason I've never had a boyfriend... or it could be the fact that whenever I actually find someone I like I can never find the courage to ask them out or even talk to them.
I'll probably add more to this later, but my internet connection is being stupid right now.
To need, but not have.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg16 ... newsig.jpg
If life ain't just a joke, then why are we laughing?

when you think it can't get any worse...think again

"This makes me want to smoosh babies!"-ME
Olivia42
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:03 pm

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby Olivia42 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:34 am

In my experience, when you make a checklist for desired characteristics in a potential significant other, you will inevitably fall head-over-heels for someone who defies every single one of them. In high school, I developed one specifically around the guy with whom I fell hopelessly in love, and even he failed to meet them.

This is not to say that you guys should lower your standards, but merely that you should follow where your hearts lead you; don't let your expectations get in the way.

Furthermore, on the subject of opposite people's compatibility, it's a toss-up between whether you want someone who compliments you and is everything you are not, and someone who embodies you and relates to you as a parallel. As a student of Philosophy and Literature, I've found that scholars and writers are officially stumped in determining which is better.

In short, there are no rules regarding love. It's far too personal to make generalizations, even for yourself.
Aym_Dand
Posts: 2236
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:31 am

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby Aym_Dand » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:04 pm

PIPaul: I've never seen lolrus before; I was just going on how she described herself.

m00n: No.

Mr. Hat: I had a friend in college say to me in all seriousness, "Dan, you know how they say there's someone out there for everyone? I don't think there's anyone out there for you."
________________________________________________________
I probably would have just put the f*cking lotion in the basket.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
Indigo Rose
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby Indigo Rose » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:17 pm

I guess I just want some one interested in me and willing to get to know me. I also wouldn't mind if we shared some interests and enjoyed some of the same things. I've never had a boyfriend, but I have loads of guy friends.
"Now Kyle, don't fly too close to the sun, or it'll burn your wings, an- and you'll crash into the ocean!"

(Awkward silence)

"Butters Goddamnit!"
M00ndragon69
Posts: 9593
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:32 am

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby M00ndragon69 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Didn't think you did AYM.

So you have never seen Teh Lorus, and since I haven't seen you around lately, I assume you don't really know her...Don't you feel a little like an ass for making the comment about her that you made? Here is me being an honest bitch. Alot of Girls ( unless they are bitches) would be completely turned off by what you said to her, because for one alot of girls look for guys they can have long term relationships with, and since you had some shallow things to say about chubby girls, any woman in her right mind wouldn't consider hooking up with you for a relationship, because what if a few years down the road she became chubby. I don't know what you look like, and I am turned off by you. Even if it turned out you looked like Johnny Depp or Matt Stone I wouldn't even consider touching you, because I know how arrogant and shallow you are.
Image
Aym_Dand
Posts: 2236
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:31 am

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby Aym_Dand » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:07 pm

m00n, I think you're reading more into what I wrote than what was actually posted. She described herself as having acne and being chubby, and also said that she thinks she's emotionally unstable.

I said that if she were pock-faced and chubby, but had a great personality, I could see how a boy would like her. Or if she was pretty but emotionally unstable, I could see that too. But the combination of ugly on the inside and the outside is unacceptable (would you date a guy who was both ugly and a jerk?). So it made me think that maybe she's a gay boy's beard. I was also suspicious when she said that one boy was getting too forward and was kind of a creep, which made me think her current boyfriend isn't forward at all, reinforcing my beard theory.

That's all I was saying. I really don't see that as being shallow. It's just me being contrarian as usual. The truth of the matter is that much of men's sexual attraction is visually based. Any man who says differently is lying to you in order to sound sensitive. There's a reason Playboy is a billion-dollar industry and Playgirl is a maybe-million-dollar industry, and it's because of what I said: men like looks. Women are attracted to things like intelligence and security, with less emphasis on the visuals.

Men also like non-physical factors, but 9 times out of 10, a guy sees a pretty girl and prays she's also cool.

If my girlfriend put on a bunch of weight, I don't know what I'd do, but I don't see why I'd want to be in a relationship with someone whom I didn't find attractive.

That's called marriage.

So no, I don't feel like an ass.

By the way "alot" is actually two words -- "a lot" -- and in any case, the word you should have used was "many" because you're supposed to use "many" when whatever you're referring to is quantifiable: "many girls" vs. "a lot of effort."
________________________________________________________
I probably would have just put the f*cking lotion in the basket.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSD-Tk0Z3zI

http://www.gonefiction.com
PIPaul
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:29 pm

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby PIPaul » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:32 am

Just because she's a little shy, and thinks less of herself than she really should, doesn't mean you have to go around saying only gays would like her. If you've seen a pic of her, you'll know she isn't the hideous man-woman you claim. A lot of men look like that, and would be willing to take a gurl with bad looks.

Though, i must say, looks can NEVER be the basis for a lasting relationship. Or a substantial part of it.

Just because a boy isn't a pervert, doesn't mean he's a pervert... that is to say, just because he doesn't want it 24/7 doesn't mean he's geh, even if you have an unquenchable apitite for the leediez.

Your marraige WILL not last. If you havn't already, you WILL have an affair. You wil not see your kids, you'll get a bad settlment. If you're married. Your wife WILL get old, fat, saggy tits, wrinkled, and you'll run out on her like your Phill Collins or something. Your as shallow as Collins you know.

Grammer Nazism doesn't make you a good person, either. Thanks for being honest about being a shallow sex maniac though.
M00ndragon69
Posts: 9593
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:32 am

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby M00ndragon69 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:11 am

Hey, thanks for proving what I have thought for years. You are an ass. Ok, don't you think telling some girl you don't even know that maybe she is a beard to hide the fact that her boyfriend is gay isn't assholish?. You don't know her, you don't even know what she looks like, or what her relationship is like. For all you know, she might just have being hard on herself at the time she wrote what you are commenting on. And she was complaining that the guy she didn't like was too forward, well she wasn't specific about what she meant by forward, that could mean alot of things.

Yes, guys focus on looks. But not every guy likes the same thing or likes girls who look like whatever is the current standard of beauty. I know guys who are good examples of this, their girlfriends aren't thin, and they seen pretty happy with who they are with.

Oh and by the way, any girls reading what you said about not knowing what you would do if your girlfriend put on alot of weight, well, for any girls with a brain, that is a red flag right there. Do not date, and certainly do not f*ck this shallow assh*le.You know, women don't just gain weight because of over eating or not exercising enough, there are forms of birth control that has weight gain as a side effect too. What if you got in a relationship with a girl you really liked, you and her decided to go get birth control and a few months later weight gain turned out to be a side effect of whatever she was using? What would you do then?

As for the grammer Nazism, who cares? This is a message board, not an english assignment.
Image
Olivia42
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:03 pm

Re: What is it you look for in a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Postby Olivia42 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:21 am

"Oft the contrarian, but always the grammarian."

I think you guys are taking Aym Dand much more seriously than one ever should. He made an Internet Male joke, and now it's not even funny anymore.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests