Will southpark step back up to the plate on scientology?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

marc abian

Will southpark step back up to the plate on scientology?

Postby marc abian » Wed May 07, 2008 7:01 pm

When will southpark be getting down to business with scientology again. And i dont mean the super adventure club, i mean scientology.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!" - "Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."
—Trey Parker and Matt Stone, statement in Variety

In the last 5 months, more has been pushed into the public eye about scientology than in the last 30 years.

-The refusal of scientology to remove lethal blue asbestos from their ship the freewinds, for decades, on the grounds l ron hubbard didnt say it was dangerous which may result in hundreds of supposedly immortal high level scientologists keeling over from lung cancer.

-The public labelling of anonymous anti scientology protesters as taking their ideas from mein kampf and the communist manifesto, aka, commie-nazis.

Current topical issues being the rebranding of tom cruise, and his bid for MI4. The canceling of scientology critic accounts on youtube. The defection of scientology actor /poster boy jason beghe.

The list of source material is endless.

So how about this? A scientology civil war. The groundwork for it is all there. There is a massive gap between what the lower levels of the church teaches/practices and throws out in PR and what the higher levels have been caught doing again and again. Cruise was labelled the savior of scientology and is very much its public do gooder face. What if the moral front of scientology worked too well? What would be the theoretical reaction of the lower levels of scientology finding out what the upper levels do. What if cruise found out, realised stan was right, and came to him for help?

You promised the war had just begun, but you have not fired a volley striaght at them since. If there was ever a time, its now.
A Little Overboard

Re: Will southpark step back up to the plate on scientology?

Postby A Little Overboard » Wed May 07, 2008 7:11 pm

hmm, I have no real idea what you're saying, can you put youre statment in simple terms?
C? care about your feelings just as much u do mine. :P
marc abian

Postby marc abian » Wed May 07, 2008 7:25 pm

tl;dr

southpark started a war on scientology, then did nothing. At a time when tonnes of controvercy is raging about scientology why is the worlds best current events comedy show not keeping their promises.
A Little Overboard

Postby A Little Overboard » Wed May 07, 2008 7:39 pm

marc abian wrote:tl;dr

southpark started a war on scientology, then did nothing. At a time when tonnes of controvercy is raging about scientology why is the worlds best current events comedy show not keeping their promises.

I understand were you are coming from, but they did not mean to be serius. (also the disclaimer at the beggining states that the things they do are purposly exaggerating poeple and stuff to make the point easier to get out) if they were to continue this clip, they would be jumping into some deep crap even though they are not meaning to start a real debate. South Park seas things offensive to me and all of its veiwers all the time, but you have to keep in mind it is not its intent to offend us but to get their opinoin sead. For things that are good for one side are always offensive to another, in a way. do you see what i mean?
marc abian

Postby marc abian » Wed May 07, 2008 8:05 pm

No i dont man, honestly. I'm having a very hard time reading your comment. not my intentin to offend, but given the nature of your two replies, i have to ask if your first language is english.

I fully agree the concept of southpark is not to offend, nor did i ever say it was. Southpark makes people think, i cant say that was the intention of the creators because i am not them, but in terms of television i would class it in with 'the daily show' as something which takes current events or ideas and gets people to think on them via the medium of comedy.

The scientology episode did not insult scientology in any way. The explaination of scientology is about 90 percent accurate and only inaccurate in some small technical details, as was their cartoon reaction 'ill sue you in england'. Its the episode that caused chef to leave, and is considered in polls to be one of the top 10 south park episodes to change the world. And it only scratched the surface of the farce of scientology.

I think there is way way more to tell in southpark versus scientology/the super adventure club story.
A Little Overboard

Postby A Little Overboard » Wed May 07, 2008 8:16 pm

yeah, i know my spelling is bad.. :|

note, the scientoligy was in the episode trapped in a closet, not the return of chef.

I dont see how trapped in a closet couldve been one of the top ten, that episode was boring as hell
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed May 07, 2008 8:20 pm

They'll step up to the plate again in 15,000 years. This is a million-year war, after all.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
marc abian

Postby marc abian » Wed May 07, 2008 8:32 pm

Can you wait 15 k years. not i.

Also, while the super adventure club obviously is not scientology, the whole ep is based on chefs leaving the show over the scientology episode. The speech at the end is pretty telling.
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Wed May 07, 2008 10:00 pm

I think we may hear subtle jabs at Scientology, maybe if Cruise does something...else...stupid. But I don't think they will go out provoking anyone. They said what they had to say on Scientology and the situation with Hayes...and now they are off to bigger and better things.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu May 08, 2008 2:55 am

I say no, because they've already got Trapped In The Closet as their main jab at Skeeintologee.
BasV

Postby BasV » Thu May 08, 2008 4:10 pm

matt and they won't focus on one thing. They make fun of everything, and they don't really pick one of them. I'm glad they do it that way. Keeps everything fresh.
termsofuse

Postby termsofuse » Thu May 08, 2008 5:45 pm

marc abian wrote:tl;dr

M&T keep their promise??!!

What promise?

There is no promise…get over it.

BUT

According to the web site for Bridge Publications, http://www.bridgepub.com/list/index.html

They claim to be the: “Publisher of New York Times and International Bestselling Author LRH” (in the banner)

If the publisher of the Times, Arthur Sulzberger, is connected with those wackos then they are unstoppable. If true they are the true POWER in entertainment and media and we are all doomed! :(
Marjax

Postby Marjax » Wed May 14, 2008 4:40 am

They didn't start a war. They made an episode.

The Super Adventure Club episode was more about Isaac Hayes than it was scientology specifically. Had Isaac Hayes never left the show, they wouldn't have devoted a 2nd episode to ripping scientology.

There's no war, and it would be overkill to do ANOTHER episode about it. It's be like re-hashing World of Warcraft, or AIDS/HIV research.
PeterCoffin

Postby PeterCoffin » Wed May 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Hit YouTube. People hate that pyramid scheme there, too.
---------------------------------------------
petercoffin.com
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:37 am

Yeah, two episodes related to Scientology is enough..I don't think Trey and Matt want to lead your war against Scientology or anyone else's war for that matter. Who knows, keep posting stuff on here pressuring them to make more Scientology related episodes and they just might make fun of you and people like you just to be dicks.

Return to “General South Park Discussion”