Change of direction?

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

solidude

Change of direction?

Postby solidude » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:33 pm

I really have sort of studied south park the past few years, and as i have read in some posts there has been a change of direction in south park. for example stan and kyle have stopped being kids for the most part they started as little kids who liked doing kids stuff, they are really mature now, cartman started as a little fat kid who everybody messed with and was really stupid, now hes kind of a mastermind who messes with everybody else, i dont really like stan and kyle acting so grownup like, i mean theyre still 9 years old!! its cool that cartmans such a son of a bi*ch but i really cant understand how he went from stupid to genius, i loved when kenny used to die at least he was IN the episode, right now he isnt even involved in the stuff his friends do.
"Just answer me this Tweek, what do you see as positive about toddler murder?"
"It's, it's easy?"
"Yes...,it is easy..."
CartmansWhore

Re: Change of direction?

Postby CartmansWhore » Wed May 21, 2008 3:26 pm

solidude wrote:I really have sort of studied south park the past few years, and as i have read in some posts there has been a change of direction in south park. for example stan and kyle have stopped being kids for the most part they started as little kids who liked doing kids stuff, they are really mature now, cartman started as a little fat kid who everybody messed with and was really stupid, now hes kind of a mastermind who messes with everybody else, i dont really like stan and kyle acting so grownup like, i mean theyre still 9 years old!! its cool that cartmans such a son of a bi*ch but i really cant understand how he went from stupid to genius, i loved when kenny used to die at least he was IN the episode, right now he isnt even involved in the stuff his friends do.

Just because the kids are 9 yrs old, doesn't mean they can't be mature for their age. You'd be surprised how many kids are more mature than adults 4x's their age. Like I posted in another thread similar to this, Matt/Trey are really maturing in their writing process. Kenny doesn't need to die every second, in every epi. I really do prefer these new plots now, they can really challenge the fans to think about current issues. As well as make the haters believe they're more than just a show about farts and a kid dying. :D
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Wed May 21, 2008 10:55 pm

Change of direction in a series that has been on the air for over 10 years should be expected. I mean, how many times/ different ways could they kill Kenny in 12 seasons? Some of the changes have worked, for example, bringing new characters like Butters more to the forefront. Others didn't fair so well, like Kenny being permanently dead and Garrisons sex change. However when a series doesn't evolve, it gets stale and is inevitably gets canceled. They are attempting to keep it fresh.
DROP TABLE *

Postby DROP TABLE * » Thu May 22, 2008 7:05 am

I don't get it. So you say that you prefer Stan and Kyle being immature/stupid and charecter'less' over them actually having two distinct personalities? Personally, and I know quite a few people agree with me, I really like the direction they are going with having each of the original four become much less generic and actually develop a personality.
PeterCoffin

Postby PeterCoffin » Thu May 22, 2008 7:55 pm

"Character Development: Worse than the Holocaust"
---------------------------------------------
petercoffin.com
Hippyhater9

Re: Change of direction? I hope so.

Postby Hippyhater9 » Thu May 22, 2008 8:04 pm

You know what? I miss Kenny getting Whacked too.
But I feel my attachment to "the kids" is getting less and less, like a father after a divorce. I miss the crappy animation of the first couple seasons, and the way the episodes had character to them. Now everything has gone "Hollywood". They're running on fumes as far as I'm concerned. The originality, carelessness, is quickly fading from the small, redneck, mountain town. Things just seem to be political mumbojumbo now. Britney this, Iraq that. Bring back the good ol days of song and dance. South park used to be an escape from the news and bull crap that came from the day. Now it has slithered, heavily, into the show.
Q:what is red eyed? Hungry? and wandering throughout the forests? A: lost stoners searching for a meal.

If everyone were like me. Pessimism would rule the world!
-thang

Postby -thang » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:02 am

CartmansWhore wrote:
Just because the kids are 9 yrs old, doesn't mean they can't be mature for their age. You'd be surprised how many kids are more mature than adults 4x's their age. :D

True, but since when do 9 yr olds save the world from terrorists and the government?
I also prefer the older episodes over the new. I liked the boys being boys and seeing Kenny die. Im sure they could come up with some cool ideas while going back to the basics.
"No kitty this is my potpie" -Cartman

Kid at CartmanLand: Daddy Daddy, can I go on the rocket?
Cartman: G*d D*mmit get the f*ck outta my way!!
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:20 am

Maturity/immaturity combo is what I love about South Park. For example, you say Cartman is a genius now, and that may be true, BUT, he is also STILL very stupid. This can be noted in the episode "Wing". He masterminded the talent agency scam, but thought that Abraham Lincoln was still alive. See, a genius/retard combo. Well, it suites my taste.
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:10 am

...Or even the exchange in Eek A Penis...

Principal Victoria: Eric, we've called you in to commend you for your role as student teacher.

Cartman: Ey! Don't commend me! It's the students' fault for being so stupid!

Mr. Mackey: Uh, "commend" means you've done a great job, Eric. Hm'kay?

Principal Victoria: After leading your class through review, your schoolmates scored higher than they ever had on their tests. Whatever you did really worked on them.

Cartman: Oh, well, thank you. I believe strict discipline along with compassion for my students is catamite to their learning.
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:43 am

BTW I have serious issues with that scene when you consider the definition of the word catamite.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/catamite
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:45 am

Just_Jackie wrote:BTW I have serious issues with that scene when you consider the definition of the word catamite.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/catamite

A pedophiles' victim?
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:23 am

Well it's freaking Cartman saying it. If he doesn't know what "commend" means, you can't really expect him to know what "catamite" means can you? It just sounds like a smart word to stick in there to him.

And here's a really stupid reason that I just came up with as to why that word is in that line...

Yeah, so I bet Trey originally wrote "Paramount", but legal wouldn't let him say that. That's the man bringing him down man! He changed it to catamount to stick it to them man! YEAH!!!

...You don't really get the full effect of that unless you hear the voice that goes along with it.
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:56 pm

It changed direction the moment Towelie stopped showing up
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:12 am

The change was for the mostpart a good one, but like the Original Poster said, Stan and Kyle have gone too far when it comes to their maturity. It's one of the main if only things I miss from the old seasons; how Stan and Kyle have (with rare exceptions, like playingin the sandpit in Eek, which are so out of place with their current attitudes) become little more than tools through which matt and trey can push their messages. They used to have them as kids all the episode until the 'i learnt something today' speech, which fit GTA's "retard/genius" divide better than todays genius stan/kyle. Britney is the worst example of this, but kyle curing aids was on the odd side as well.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
termsofuse

Postby termsofuse » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:25 pm

I think the big change happened about the time Chef left: No more lunch line scenes, no more showing up on Chefs doorstep, no more advice from Chef, no more wonderful songs, no more visits from Chef’s parents. IMO the dynamic changed. Who can they go to for advice? Jesus? Come on, he can’t even sing. The interactions with Chef helped the kids act like kids. Without Chef, Stan, Kyle and Cartman ARE smarter than ALL the adults of South Park and I think that weakens the show.

However, I do not agree that this season is the worst so far. Some recent episodes may not be as entertaining as some past episodes have been but they are not terrible (IMO).

Return to “General South Park Discussion”