Retro gaming

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Mr. Hat_DX27

Re: Retro gaming

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:06 am

PT, you're so right. Back then when PCM sampling was such a new concept they only had it on computers and high-end music electronics, people had to actually use their imaginations, not with just the sound, but with the visuals as well. Back then the 3D polygon was just a weird vector shape seen only in arcades, and we certainly didn't have HD Blu-Ray that could fit thousands of pixels on the screen.

That's one beef I have with lots of the gamers and developers alike of today, mainly the Sony fanboys. For some reason they think it's only about the visuals and how detailed things look and forget the actual important thing that makes a good game is really the gameplay, which is why Sony is taking a sh*t on itself these days. Back then in the old days this kind of photorealistic stuff was unheard of!

The Intellivision was pretty interesting. Them controllers were a little weird, but I did like the whole thing with the overlays on the controllers. I never understood the meaning of that whole disk thingy on the bottom though. That speech synthesizer add-on was pretty neat too, despite it's under-use.

The ColecoVision was weird. That gets me to the big question, why was everything (minus the Atari 2600) the "SomethingVision"? Donno, that's just something I was always curious about. I think one of the most amazing things about that system was it's unintended support for SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis controllers. Them Coleco people really were cheap and lazy in terms of expanding their library with a compatibility module for 2600 games. Seriously, what the hell? That'd be some never-forgive action right there in today's generation.

On a random note, I think my nan still has some really old Game & Watch sh*t at her house. :P
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
butters kenny

Postby butters kenny » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Holy crap, I think you're right! I'm watching a YouTube upload of it right now.

That's it!! Thanks, bk!

Huh? Oh your welcome
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:33 pm

Mr. Hat_DX27 wrote:

Them Coleco people really were cheap and lazy in terms of expanding their library with a compatibility module for 2600 games. Seriously, what the hell? That'd be some never-forgive action right there in today's generation.

Agreed, that was idiotic of them. The whole point was to be a beefier gaming system.

But, that was the '80s for you - I think it must have been a reaction to the so-called "video game crash of 1983"
Kensuke

Postby Kensuke » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:02 am

I remember the South park game for the n64. I recently played on an Emulator too. People say the graphics were teriible, but they look pretty decent to me.
"If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss" ~ Eminem

AxayPaulene wrote:
Niels0827 wrote:But he (RideTheLightning)wanted Kensuke's hot man chowder.
Don't we all?
bumpa

Postby bumpa » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:07 am

bumpa

Postby bumpa » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:26 am

cartman04

Postby cartman04 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:57 am

I love the old Zelda games :D
to this day i still play them :D
the legend of zelda is and will forever will be the best gaming series :D
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:29 am

Intellivision. Gawd, that was awful. It had those disk/number pad controllers that killed your thumbs, and the only good game was asteroid, which I didn't have. My Intellivision was a hand-me-down from my cousin. And I got it around 1989, at the height of the NES' popularity. I got my NES around the time they were on the way out in '92 or so.

One of the weekend radio shows I listen to did a retro gaming segment a couple of weeks ago. I never knew this, but apparently Sears put out a cheaper version of the Atari 2600 that would play all the same games.
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:05 pm

Lately, I've been finding a series of PS2 games that recreated the vintage pinball games, and so far, there are two I've found, each one based on the company that makes 'em.

The Gottlieb collection has some good ones (as well as some infuriatingly tough ones), and the best I've done so far is on one from the '70s based on pool.

The Williams version is a lot more fun, with 80s/90s titles I recognize. The best bit is a '79 pb called Gorgar, which is one of the earliest with speech, limited to only seven words. Get your ball in a spot where a magnet holds it, and you hear this:

"ME GOT YOU!"

:lol: Who wrote the dialogue, Cookie Monster? :lol:
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

And speaking of pinball, who can forget the sheer awesomeness that was the Atari 2600 pinball video game from 1980?

Boasting a three-colored screen, a square ball, square bumpers, and the ubiquitous Atari logo (because they were obviously so proud of this landmark achievement in video gaming)!

Microsoft Windows pinball got nothin' on THIS, baby! :lol:
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:40 am

Ha HOOO!! I have that in my compilation games!
CARTMANIA111

Postby CARTMANIA111 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:51 pm

I always remember when my brother gave me his old Pokemon gold game. I thought it was awesome till Xbox came out. 8)
allan420

Postby allan420 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:10 pm

I am so glad someone mentioned the Sony fanboys, I thought I was the only one tired of it.

Mr. Hat_DX27 wrote:That's one beef I have with lots of the gamers and developers alike of today, mainly the Sony fanboys. For some reason they think it's only about the visuals and how detailed things look and forget the actual important thing that makes a good game is really the gameplay, which is why Sony is taking a sh*t on itself these days. Back then in the old days this kind of photorealistic stuff was unheard of!

hmmmm .. fun stuff ;)

atari pong ? nintendo zelda ? contra ? .. I had a lot of nintendo games.. madmax .. jackal ...

:D

pacman

pinball !!! (any machine.. where is it?)

pre-2000 online games
-
kaos mud !!!!
star trek pennmush
Jacob Dangarden's, USURPER
or everyone's favorite LORD
-

oh.. tetris.. and FF3 for the gameboy

sega.. RBI, Baseball 2020, Phantasy Star - original Mortal Kombat/II/III ... sega cd - Ground Zero Texas - Vay - Sewer Shark - Wolfchild <- from what I remember Wolfchild was alot harder than I expected ... 32x - Cosmic Carnage was ok ...

I remember buying all the sega stuff from the money I made on my paper route .. it was worth it at the time.. in fact all my sega stuff still works unlike my nintendo .. obviously that's a lot older.. and I forget the game but maybe when I get back to Minnesota from Hawaii I will find it and post it here.. it's a sega game and really fun I remember still playing it even in 2004.
Mr. Hat_DX27

Postby Mr. Hat_DX27 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:39 am

When I was young, the first console I played was the NES. The first games I remember playing were Super Mario 3, Dr. Mario and Tiny Toon Adventures. The first console I actually had to myself was the Sega Genesis (yes, I was on the Sega side of the console war, until the N64 came out). I didn't really care much for Nintendo in those days, but I certainly didn't hate them. After I first rented an N64 when I still lived in Toronto, I thought it was the awesomest thing ever (games rented were Mario Kart and Shadow of the Empire). When I got one for my birthday a not even a year later when we moved to Kitchener, I really dugg it. It was also around that time when I was exposed to a healthy helping of the SNES and realized what I missed in the old days, and how both the Genesis and the SNES have a bunch of great sh*t to offer.

I also played a good few PC DOS games back in the day. Stuff like Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, the original WarCraft and WarCraft II, those LucasArts adventure games (Sam & Max, Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle, etc), Dark Forces, Rebel Assault, Brix, GateWorld (I could never get past the third level), Overkill, and a few others.

Right now on my Wii I have the following Virtual Console games installed
NES: Super Mario 3, Donkey Kong, Kirby's Adventure, Kid Icarus
GENESIS: Sonic 2, Comix Zone, Gunstar Heroes, Ristar
SNES: Super Mario World
N64: StarFox 64

I also have the WiiWare version of Dr. Mario, since that's big nostalgia for me. Mega Man 9 kinda counts, because of how the game was made.

You know what's awesome? Have you ever noticed that the retro style of gaming has been making a rather serious comeback this year? It's mostly in the form of downloadables, but there have been some really awesome modernized but still old-school feeling games that have come out as of late. An example of one of these is Bionic Commando: Rearmed, which is basically a remake of the original NES game, but with a new visual style that appeals to modern standards but still having an 80's action feel. Then there's Mega Man 9, which was done completely in 8-bit style but with some internet functionality. Then there are more full-length games like Street Fighter 4, which again, has 3D visuals, but smooth 2D gameplay, and even WarioLand: Shake It, which is just like any other game in the series, but with some added Wiimote functionality. Don't ya love it when the old and new worlds collide like that? :)
If you want me to do a signature for you, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:42 am

By the way, if you have an old NES with a worn out game slot connector, they're really easy to replace. You can find new ones on ebay, and some electronics shops. Everything's held together with phillips screws, and the connector just plugs into/onto the main board.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”