*Episode 1208: The China Probrem* Pre-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

aerojockey

Re: *Episode 1208: The China Probrem* Pre-Air Discussion

Postby aerojockey » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:13 am

Ok, first let's consider the title, "The China Problem". This title is reminiscent of a well-known movie the early 80s, "The China Syndrome." That movie was about a potential meltdown at a nuclear power plant. The name China Syndrome comes from the idea that if core has a meltdown it'll get so hot it'll burn its way to China. However, we know Matt and Trey would never be that literal. So, metaphorically speaking, what recent circumstances could be described as a "meltdown" and involve China? The credit market, of course.

Now consider the description: "Cartman must confront the Chinese alone while the American people are haunted by the memory of recent tragic events." The recent tragic events are obviously the poor investments Americans made, and yet the tone of the message strongly suggests that this episode will parody M Night Shyamalan's recent movie "The Happening". Clearly the episode will be set up as a thriller in the style of that movie.

China is, of course, the entity behind the financial crisis. China has a lot to gain if credit is bad in America (just play along). This is the only possible way to interpret the clues.

That, of course, makes it clear not only who was raped, but also who the rapist is. Kenny is the one who is raped, and Cartman is the rapist.

Wait, you didn't really think they meant "rape" literally, did you? Naturally, what's going to happen is Cartman, ever the wheeler-dealer, will jump on the the subprime credit market. (This may be in the context of some sort of fourth-grade micro-economy.) Kenny, of course, is the subprime borrower, who Cartman cons into taking a loan beyond his means. When Kenny can't pay up, Cartman forecloses, and this is the event that Kyle is referring to, metaphorically, as rape.

But soon Cartman realizes that he is in just as much trouble as Kenny as the credit market collapses, and somehow he also realizes that the Chinese are behind it. And so, he has to go to China alone, while America wallows in a "The Happening"-like uncertainty about what's actually happening.

I'd say it's impossible to interpret the clues in any other way.

--Jeff Goldblum (not really)
Essey

Postby Essey » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:56 am

^
It's a good theory there, although on the rape part is flawed. But I do agree, however, that the China plot is most likely relevant to the economy, of course.

I can understand how metaphorically speaking it could work, but I can't imagine Kyle and Stan being THAT traumatized over witnessing a metaphorical 'rape', rather than an actual one. Not saying you're wrong, you're probably right, but it's just with what I've been given, I would assume this. But you have a point, as Matt and Trey tend to exaggerate things.

[EDIT:] Actually, re-watching the clip, I think you might be on to something, there. o.o Good detective work!
britishbulldog

Postby britishbulldog » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:39 am

aerojockey wrote:Ok, first let's consider the title, "The China Problem". This title is reminiscent of a well-known movie the early 80s, "The China Syndrome." That movie was about a potential meltdown at a nuclear power plant. The name China Syndrome comes from the idea that if core has a meltdown it'll get so hot it'll burn its way to China. However, we know Matt and Trey would never be that literal. So, metaphorically speaking, what recent circumstances could be described as a "meltdown" and involve China? The credit market, of course.

Now consider the description: "Cartman must confront the Chinese alone while the American people are haunted by the memory of recent tragic events." The recent tragic events are obviously the poor investments Americans made, and yet the tone of the message strongly suggests that this episode will parody M Night Shyamalan's recent movie "The Happening". Clearly the episode will be set up as a thriller in the style of that movie.

China is, of course, the entity behind the financial crisis. China has a lot to gain if credit is bad in America (just play along). This is the only possible way to interpret the clues.

That, of course, makes it clear not only who was raped, but also who the rapist is. Kenny is the one who is raped, and Cartman is the rapist.

Wait, you didn't really think they meant "rape" literally, did you? Naturally, what's going to happen is Cartman, ever the wheeler-dealer, will jump on the the subprime credit market. (This may be in the context of some sort of fourth-grade micro-economy.) Kenny, of course, is the subprime borrower, who Cartman cons into taking a loan beyond his means. When Kenny can't pay up, Cartman forecloses, and this is the event that Kyle is referring to, metaphorically, as rape.

But soon Cartman realizes that he is in just as much trouble as Kenny as the credit market collapses, and somehow he also realizes that the Chinese are behind it. And so, he has to go to China alone, while America wallows in a "The Happening"-like uncertainty about what's actually happening.

i think u mite av a good point i dont think there is really a rape but only way to find out is wait for it to air :unhoodedkenny:
WHO DARES WINS
ecartman147

Postby ecartman147 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:16 pm

I don't think it will be cartman being rapped becuase it says he is going to china while people in south park deal with a tragedy.
cartman04

Postby cartman04 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:51 pm

Cant Wait!!!!!!!!!
I wonder who gets raped? cartman? kenny? butters? clyde? etc.
plukap

The China Probrem* Pre-Air Discussion

Postby plukap » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:10 pm

DUDE I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS IS GONE BE SO AWESOME! :D :D :D :D
ned15

Postby ned15 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:29 pm

ecartman147 wrote:I don't think it will be cartman being rapped becuase it says he is going to china while people in south park deal with a tragedy.

but we don't know what the tragedy is. i mean who knows, maybe the internet is out again! idk, but you're probably right, it's most likely not cartman. but we'll just have to wait and see! :)
"you musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling."
eames
James--76

Postby James--76 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Ok, first let's consider the title, "The China Problem". This title is reminiscent of a well-known movie the early 80s, "The China Syndrome." That movie was about a potential meltdown at a nuclear power plant. The name China Syndrome comes from the idea that if core has a meltdown it'll get so hot it'll burn its way to China. However, we know Matt and Trey would never be that literal. So, metaphorically speaking, what recent circumstances could be described as a "meltdown" and involve China? The credit market, of course.

I never thought of it like that ,it would be spooky if that is how the episode will be lol.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
carlos lobato

Postby carlos lobato » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:28 pm

real or no real rape i'm guess this is will to be hirrarious episode funny! n_n
Toshiro

Postby Toshiro » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:57 pm

Perhaps they are going to play up the news reports from about a year ago that some toys manufactured in China contained a chemical that would turn into the date-rape drug if ingested.
DEFINEsammie

Postby DEFINEsammie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:41 pm

aerojockey wrote:Ok, first let's consider the title, "The China Problem". This title is reminiscent of a well-known movie the early 80s, "The China Syndrome." That movie was about a potential meltdown at a nuclear power plant. The name China Syndrome comes from the idea that if core has a meltdown it'll get so hot it'll burn its way to China. However, we know Matt and Trey would never be that literal. So, metaphorically speaking, what recent circumstances could be described as a "meltdown" and involve China? The credit market, of course.

Jesus christ,
how the hell did you come up with all of that?
KennyMcCookie

Postby KennyMcCookie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:45 pm

DEFINEsammie wrote:

Jesus christ,
how the hell did you come up with all of that?

That's exactly what I thought when I read that.
Top 5 Favorite Characters
1. Kenny McCormick
2. (Goth) Stan Marsh
3. Leopold "Butters" Stotch
4. Red Goth
5. Curly Goth
Sau2k

Postby Sau2k » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:53 pm

And you could tell all that by a title, a small description and a small dialogue? :O
wolf-n-beast

Postby wolf-n-beast » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:16 am

it had to be earthier butters or Kenney because they don't give damn about Cartman . im betting butters
butters kenny

Postby butters kenny » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:21 am

What i didnt get..oh you said Butters OR Kenny never mind.
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”