*1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

IHateCelebritiesToo

Re: *1208: The China Probrem* Post-Air Discussion

Postby IHateCelebritiesToo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:52 am

Wishful_Thinking wrote:Hm, I take it that Matt and Trey didn't like the newest Indiana Jones movie?

This episode was better than I expected, but still a bit mediocre compared to episodes from seasons 1-9. But I guess I should stop comparing them and accept the fact that I'll never really laugh during the new episodes.

All the plots now revolve around taking such trivial issues (Indiana Jones, Guitar Hero, a list...) and exaggerating them to the point of ridiculousness, and we're expected to get laughs from that. I guess it's working for the majority here. Oh yeah, and then Cartman does something else all the meanwhile, usually paired with Butters.

The plots seemed extremely weak, I bet 5 years ago they would have been carried out better and made more humorous. Oh well

Dude, no one has a gun to your d*ck forcing you to watch.

So, please, don't watch. Your killing our buzz.
DODNIZOID

Postby DODNIZOID » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:54 am

OMG, so funny.

"...and with advancements in technology, they're gonna take over America" (crying)

I never even saw Indiana Jones movie, but I got the reference and if you haven't seen just talk to people who have, that's what I did, you'll learn enough. Really all you need to see is the Free Hat episode.

This was funny from start to basically end, though the ending was not too funny and by ending I mean like last 30 seconds.

But this is great, def gonna try to watch the re-air at 11.

MIDWEST BIAS!!!!!!
MIDWEST BIAS!!!!!
xxhardcore

Postby xxhardcore » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:55 am

if they don't come up on the website then I'm f*cked. i swear to god i looked threw all the south park on my satellite. nothing on till at least 12. and all old ones. wtf?
i cant seem to get the episodes on here working.
I'm the Easter bunny hey I'm back
used to funny now I'm hooked on crack
heaps of heroine ain't no joke
marshmallow peeps, covered in coke coke coke coke
coooooke
HAcoreRD

Postby HAcoreRD » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:55 am

IHateCelebritiesToo wrote:
HAcoreRD wrote:
GotACoolName wrote:This was just about the worst episode ever made.

imo Million Little fibers was worse, but goddamnit, this was right up in the top 5 worse

How could you not like this? The whole premise about Speilberg and Lucas raping films (such as IJ and Star Wars) is spot-on. I don't know what more you could want.

There are too many jackass south park fans. They have their favorite episode, and expect every episode to be just like that. That's ridiculous. This was a funny episode. Stop comparing it to other ones.

Every SP episode makes references to either film or current events. If you don't get it, then it's your fault. But I've NEVER seen anything these guys have done that wasn't funny.

Give me a break.

It'd be funny if it made god damn sense. That episode to me was the fridge scene to indie 4 watchers.

Cartman/China Angle: I get the point, China's powerful, nothing was really done with the angle. They (Cartman/butters) dressed up, shot some dicks, and left. There was nothing to get from this.

Lucas/Speilberg: I know, their movies suck cause they refurbish and late sequel everything. I saw Indie 1-3 as a kid. I didn't watch #4 cause I knew in my soul it'd be bad. If they said tommorow they'd make another Mad Max, I'd not watch it, because it's 10 years too late. Stan/Kyle already said in "Free Hat", that "they're insane."

I didn't like it because the episode was held together by dick shootings and rape scenes (Pinball one was funny), and as for Jackass South Park fans, I laugh you'd put me in that group seeing as I thought Britney's New Look is/was 69 times better than this. Everyone has their favorite, I don't expect every new one to be a "Make Love, Not Warcraft"... or even a "The List", but when I see something like this, I'd be seriously lying to myself if I said I thought this was "good".

Animation was good, not the episode. As you said, everyone has a favorite, and with that we have episodes we hate. If everyone gave only positive reviews on everything, then wouldn't everything be a 10/10? I'm adding to the 'balance', as keeping my opinion wouldn't help the show progress in a bit.
IHateCelebritiesToo

Postby IHateCelebritiesToo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:56 am

That-Is-Bull wrote:First time I didn't laugh once during an entire South Park episode. That was horrible. I've seen every episode of SP multiple times (except Jared Has Aides) and this is the first one to not have a likable moment.

IMO, anyway.

Wow. Your crazy. IMO.

Not one likeable moment?

Have you ever even seen Deliverance or The Accused. Well if you did, you would've laughed your ass off like everyone else that has.
ARTfan

Postby ARTfan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:57 am

Sure, this episode had some HAHA moments, and even though I never went to see Crystal Skull (thank the Gods); enough of my friends gave me the 4-1-1 on how bad it was.

Didn't really see how Cartman's American Liberation Front against the Chinese plot ties into the Indiana Jones getting Raped by Lucas and Spielberg. BTW, where was Lu Kim? They should have made him the Manager of PF Changs. Was waiting all episode expecting him to show up.

Honestly, M&T already did this episode back in Season 6; Free Hat, and it was 100% better than this episode.

I rate China Problem as better than Million Little Fibers and Britney's New Look, but if the next six episodes aren't stellar; I think Season 12 will sadly go down as kind of weak in my opinion.

C'mon M&T!
SirKerrek

Postby SirKerrek » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:57 am

Well, here it is, once again. It's time for me to put my utterly trifle opinion into words for a handful of people to maybe-read. But, I gotta be honest, it feels good putting feelings into writing.

Enough about me, this week's episode, "The China Probrem" left me laughing in the short term but disappointed in the long, not in humor but in plot. The jokes were funny; really funny, like always. The rape scenes got old, but the rest stood relatively firm. (This episode deserves an Emmy just for the treatment of the fourth Indy film.)

However, my main gripe is that the plot went nowhere. The entire story could have been done in 10 minutes.

So in conclusion, sorry about the length of this post, I'm giving it a solid 8/10. The points are all deducted from plot, and although it ended flat, it is by no means total trash.
Favorite Character: Butters
Favorite Episode: Good Times with Weapons
GotACoolName

Postby GotACoolName » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:57 am

HAcoreRD wrote:

imo Million Little fibers was worse, but goddamnit, this was right up in the top 5 worse

How could you not like this? The whole premise about Speilberg and Lucas raping films (such as IJ and Star Wars) is spot-on. I don't know what more you could want.

The episode was nothing but sh*t jokes done over and over again that were never funny in the first place. The new Indiana Jones movie sucked, I get it. M&T made that point the first time it showed the boys in the movie theater. I'm sorry, but I don't find humor in awful attempts at recreating Chinese English that M&T pulled off way better six years ago, shooting people in the dick and then spending five minutes explaining how stupid it is to shoot people in the dick, and watching a cartoon character get molested. They're just plain not f*cking funny at all, and reiterating how much the writers hate Spielberg and Lucas without throwing any comedic value into the mix isn't funny. If the show wasn't brand-named South Park and none of the characters were familiar faces, no one would have liked this episode.

There are too many jackass south park fans. They have their favorite episode, and expect every episode to be just like that. That's ridiculous. This was a funny episode. Stop comparing it to other ones.

I loved almost every season until SP hit double digits. The show has only gone down the toilet with The Simpsons and Family Guy since season 10.

Every SP episode makes references to either film or current events. If you don't get it, then it's your fault. But I've NEVER seen anything these guys have done that wasn't funny.

No sh*t, I get it. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know of the new Indiana Jones movie. The simple truth is that NOTHING WAS FUNNY. Hurr durr, cultural reference. Whoop-de-do. I don't care.
whatthejew

Postby whatthejew » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:58 am

Wishful_Thinking wrote:Hm, I take it that Matt and Trey didn't like the newest Indiana Jones movie?

This episode was better than I expected, but still a bit mediocre compared to episodes from seasons 1-9. But I guess I should stop comparing them and accept the fact that I'll never really laugh during the new episodes.

All the plots now revolve around taking such trivial issues (Indiana Jones, Guitar Hero, a list...) and exaggerating them to the point of ridiculousness, and we're expected to get laughs from that. I guess it's working for the majority here. Oh yeah, and then Cartman does something else all the meanwhile, usually paired with Butters.

The plots seemed extremely weak, I bet 5 years ago they would have been carried out better and made more humorous. Oh well

Dude, were you watching the same S11 as me?
D:
S11 has to be my favorite season so far, I mean, Le Petit Tourette, Imaginationland, The List, Guitar Queer-O, I thought they were all great.
The show has changed a lot since the earlier seasons, but I think it's for the better.
But I guess that's just my opinion, so...yeah.
>:
Fanfiction account. | Myspace account. | MyAnimeList account.
Much easier to get to know me at one of those.
Also I love Kyle, no pedo, okay, maybe some.
xxhardcore

Postby xxhardcore » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:00 am

GAH I WANT TO WATCH IT
I'm the Easter bunny hey I'm back
used to funny now I'm hooked on crack
heaps of heroine ain't no joke
marshmallow peeps, covered in coke coke coke coke
coooooke
IHateCelebritiesToo

Postby IHateCelebritiesToo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:02 am

Right on HAcoreRD.

I respectfully disagree.

I'm not saying you, but there are WAY TOO many South park fans that hate the last 3 or 4 seasons. (Yet they still watch, and still come on here to tell us why they suck). The reasoning? Becase the "older episode didn't have to relate to current events".

Newsflash for people that believe this, YOU'RE WRONG. They've been hitting current events and social issues since SEASON 1! Since the anal probe episode!

Again, I'm not saying you. But for the majority of peopel that hate the newer SP eps, this message is to you.
Kennyfan84

Postby Kennyfan84 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:06 am

plk12345 wrote:pretty good, a bit weak. I haven't seen an indiana jones movie

Your not missing much, it started well but fell apart, no doubt Spielberg & Lucas were dropping acid when they did it.
DODNIZOID

Postby DODNIZOID » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:08 am

whatthejew wrote:

Dude, were you watching the same S11 as me?
D:
S11 has to be my favorite season so far, I mean, Le Petit Tourette, Imaginationland, The List, Guitar Queer-O, I thought they were all great.
The show has changed a lot since the earlier seasons, but I think it's for the better.
But I guess that's just my opinion, so...yeah.
>:

Everyone has there own favorites. I liked Seasons 6, 8, and 10 the best. Goobacks, Freak Strike, Hell on Earth, Douche and Turd, etc...

Everyone relax a little, you're turning into Republicans (afraid of change)
MIDWEST BIAS!!!!!
IHateCelebritiesToo

Postby IHateCelebritiesToo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:09 am

No sh*t, I get it. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know of the new Indiana Jones movie. The simple truth is that NOTHING WAS FUNNY. Hurr durr, cultural reference. Whoop-de-do. I don't care.

I'm not JUST talking about the IJ movie. I'm talking about the other movies they satirized in this episode, as well as the current views by Americans on China.

It was a good episode. I don't know why there has to be 25-50% of people on here after every episode trashing it.

If you don't like, DONT WATCH IT.
GotACoolName

Postby GotACoolName » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:11 am

whatthejew wrote:

You're a towel.

Best comeback ever.

Gotta agree with you there.

IHateCelebritiesToo wrote:Right on HAcoreRD.

I respectfully disagree.

I'm not saying you, but there are WAY TOO many South park fans that hate the last 3 or 4 seasons. (Yet they still watch, and still come on here to tell us why they suck). The reasoning? Becase the "older episode didn't have to relate to current events".

Newsflash for people that believe this, YOU'RE WRONG. They've been hitting current events and social issues since SEASON 1! Since the anal probe episode!

Again, I'm not saying you. But for the majority of peopel that hate the newer SP eps, this message is to you.

The difference now is that the show builds its jokes entirely off of current events and abuses them like a mutilated dead horse. Years ago, the show actually tried to carry its own weight by using quality humor; it could actually be considered funny even if the viewer didn't understand a reference. Now it's all f*cks, dicks, 3D effects (ugh), current events, and nothing else. The entire IJ movie co-plot was rape, rape, rape. The whole fiasco reminds me of the moment in Transformers when what's-his-face-tron was like, "(pause for suspense) eBay (pause again to give the audience time to laugh)," as if somehow mentioning eBay was funny just because the movie's audience knew what eBay was.
Last edited by GotACoolName on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”