*1211: Pandemic 2 - The Startling* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Benvolio

Re: *1211: Pandemic 2 - The Startling* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Benvolio » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:23 pm

For people who are dissing these 2 episodes because they are "too random" & don't make sense... Mecha Streisand, season 1? Lol. As if South Park is renowned for its realism!!?? :?

I have no idea what the critics expected from episode 2, but I think Matt & Trey kept the same tac, and it worked well. Craig's reluctance to take part in the narrative was funny! Don't people understand the self-parodying happening throughout these episodes?? All the while Craig pointing out the ridiculousness of the situations they're in etc.
If I were to criticise anything, maybe a little too many Guinea Pigs! Haha.

Really loved how the episode started and finished with Craig's voice-over - nice touch! When they showed what Randy looked like filming everyone :lol: Awesome.
Some great moments!
CHEL BEAN

Postby CHEL BEAN » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:34 pm

Part of what makes South Park the show that it is today is the complete randomness. DUH. Crab People? Gamera? Mothra? Manbearpig? I could go on and on with this list but I'd end up naming something from every episode. I'm tired of everybody bitching about South Park.

Anyways, I loved this episode. Giunea pigs in costumes = AWESOME!

I am just a tad disapointed that Craig did flip the bird, but I'll get over it.
Dude, dolphins are intelligent and friendly!

Intelligent and friendly on rye bread with some mayonaisse.
emperordarius

Postby emperordarius » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:16 pm

LOL really funny! :lol: BTW how did you make those Guinea pigs? Did you make them with a 3D modelling app or did you really dressup guinea pigs and insert them into the movie?
deathandecay

Postby deathandecay » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:19 pm

Enjoyed this episode, but it didnt make me laugh as hard as the past :(
randyrules

Postby randyrules » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:28 pm

almost funny. craig plotline very good...guinea creatures/flute bands totally lame. shoulda been one episode, if that.
The Dealer

Postby The Dealer » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:57 pm

BelieveIt wrote:
The Dealer wrote:I dont even know where to begin.
These last two episodes were high in the running for the stupidest two episodes that I have ever seen. Anyone that thinks these were funny must be retarded.
I understood all of the lame references to CloverField (which was an awful movie by the way) but how long ago did that movie come out? And they are just spoofing it now? Also, guinea pigs in costumes????
THATS NOT F*CKING FUNNY!!!!!! IT IS JUST F*CKING STUPID. Seriously, who is writing for the show now???? I thought imagination land was pure genious, and I am now dumbfounded to think that the same minds that came up with that..... came up with this piece of crap for a story. I am honestly sorry that I watched both episodes of Pandemic. Peruvian Pan Flute Bands???? Again, not funny. I never even remotely laughed during either of these episodes. I am so completely disappointed with this. If you honestly thought these episodes were good, you should be ashamed of yourself.
dude shut up those two episodes were funny, and duuuuuuuuh they were stupid every episode is duuuuuuuuh thats south park for you just stop watching then retard,south park has always been stupid funny which makes it awesome and very funny so yeah shut up and stop watching!! DUUUUUUUUH

@ BelieveIt

Yeah you are right dude SP is always stupid, they never do anything socially or politically relevant ( sacarsm for you). Sounds to me like you never understood the show to begin with.
If you think guinea pigs in costumes equals hilarity, then you must have been in the "Special Needs" class in school.

I have been watching SP since the first episode and have never been as let down as I was with this two parter. Absolute Crap.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:06 pm

emperordarius wrote:LOL really funny! :lol: BTW how did you make those Guinea pigs? Did you make them with a 3D modelling app or did you really dressup guinea pigs and insert them into the movie?

Those were real guinea pigs in real costumes.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
whatthejew

Postby whatthejew » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:14 pm

Just a guess, but I'm assuming this: (http://cuddlycavies.homestead.com/costumes.html) is where the costumes came from?
I couldn't stop laughing when I found that site, it's kind of priceless and maybe a little bit crazy that people actually make and buy those...
Fanfiction account. | Myspace account. | MyAnimeList account.
Much easier to get to know me at one of those.
Also I love Kyle, no pedo, okay, maybe some.
GetToTheChopper

Postby GetToTheChopper » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:57 pm

^^Dude those are ridiculous. :lol: Some of them look possessed! it must be camera-red eye. I wanna know whose job it is to make them.
oh and i thought this episode was really funny.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:26 pm

The Dealer wrote:
BelieveIt wrote:
The Dealer wrote:I dont even know where to begin.
These last two episodes were high in the running for the stupidest two episodes that I have ever seen. Anyone that thinks these were funny must be retarded.
I understood all of the lame references to CloverField (which was an awful movie by the way) but how long ago did that movie come out? And they are just spoofing it now? Also, guinea pigs in costumes????
THATS NOT F*CKING FUNNY!!!!!! IT IS JUST F*CKING STUPID. Seriously, who is writing for the show now???? I thought imagination land was pure genious, and I am now dumbfounded to think that the same minds that came up with that..... came up with this piece of crap for a story. I am honestly sorry that I watched both episodes of Pandemic. Peruvian Pan Flute Bands???? Again, not funny. I never even remotely laughed during either of these episodes. I am so completely disappointed with this. If you honestly thought these episodes were good, you should be ashamed of yourself.
dude shut up those two episodes were funny, and duuuuuuuuh they were stupid every episode is duuuuuuuuh thats south park for you just stop watching then retard,south park has always been stupid funny which makes it awesome and very funny so yeah shut up and stop watching!! DUUUUUUUUH

@ BelieveIt

Yeah you are right dude SP is always stupid, they never do anything socially or politically relevant ( sacarsm for you). Sounds to me like you never understood the show to begin with.
If you think guinea pigs in costumes equals hilarity, then you must have been in the "Special Needs" class in school.

I have been watching SP since the first episode and have never been as let down as I was with this two parter. Absolute Crap.

While BelieveIt is wrong in most counts, let me tear your post to shreds as it deserves.

1- Yes, anyone who has a different sense of humor from you is retarded, obviously. Just like anyone who assumes someone's level of intelligence based on their sense of humor is retarded. Sucks to be you. I've known incredibly intelligent people who have laughed at really stupid crap and thick people who have giggled at hard-nosed satire.

2- You seem to have forgot in all your years of watching that the show has always had it's stupid moments. Big Gay Al's first apperance eventually had him fly away in a suitcase. Streisand turned into MechaGodzilla, and other celebrities turned into other types of monsters. One of the main characters used to be killed every week, and much of the time no one cared, it was laughed it, or it was glossed over. An elpehant and a pig mated- that's really stupid. Satan threw the fight for the soul of humanity for reasons that, to anyone with a brain, were stupid. Zombies have come from Worcestershire sauce. Genetically engineered turkeys for some reason go evil. There is a living, breathing, talking piece of sh*t and he has a family. One of the kids shot arranged to have a teacher shot into the sun. Except for Mr. Hankey's family and Kenny's overarching deaths, I've just covered the first season of really stupid things.
Suffice it is to say, Pandemic 1&2 aren't any dumber than any season, and believe me, every season has had episode sthat are less intelligent than these two. And to be honest, you claim to have watched every episode and if you hated thes etwo episodes for being dumb then you must have hated the first season. That then brings up the question of why you continued watching.

3- The reason people find the guinea pigs funny in this episode is the ridiculousness of their use in the plotline. If it had been CG guinea pigs or if the guinea pigs had been moving quickly, it wouldn't have been funny. Instead, you have real-life, slow moving, awfully cute creatures that, in real life, are scared of everything and almost completely harnless, being depicted as indestructible killing machines. Then, everyone in the show treats the guinea creatures as true, serious, and new threats when it is just guinea pigs in really cute but in no way convincing costumes.
The absurdity of their use is what makes it funny, not the fact they were in costumes. Just because your slow-witted brain can't penetrate absurdist humor doesn't fault the show or other people. Perhaps it is you who requires the services of a special needs class?

4- Say you don't like the episodes, that's fine. Good criticism is welcome. However, the second you start referring to people who disagree with you in a poor fashion is the second you ar eno better than then fanboys.

So respond. Respond well and maybe this issue is laid to rest or we have a good debate. Respond poorly, nd this will continue in this vein for a while.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
RespektMaAuthoritah

Postby RespektMaAuthoritah » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:45 pm

I think I speak for everyone when I say that little f*ckin' icon thing for Pandemic 2 should be Craig's face when he has the lasers coming out of his eyes. Anyone agree when I say that'd be bitchin'?

lol I'm sorry but I just had to slip bitchin' in there somewhere.
superiorsavior

Postby superiorsavior » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:22 pm

Anyone who has a different sense of humor from you is retarded

While it's clear that someone's inteligence level can't be garnered by what they laugh at, the two have no real correlation; for example, the head of math in our school is obsessed with spongebob to the extent she has a wall-size mural of him on the math office. However, I do think that the jokes themselves can still be judged as either good jokes or bad jokes on a number of criteria; if someone is easier to please then it's less comendable to get a laugh from them, jokes that take less effort to pull off, joke works on multiple levels and jokes that farther the plotline or work like a combo with one another are a better kind of joke no matter what your sense of humour. Satire itself, or having a message, doesn't automatically make your joke a better joke than just plain absurdity, in fact Satire may well be worse than absurdity (which I admit is for those that are easy to please and requires little effort) because it's only funny for those that agree with the message you want to spread, writers can get caught up delivering their message and forget to tell a joke, and perhaps more importantly, it's only funny for as the avarage guy on the street can remember the thing being parrodied giving the joke a sell-by date. Jokes that are both satirical and absurd, that work on multiple levels, are the best kind of joke; it takes a lot of skill to pull that off and lately SP has been lacking that kind of humour, and while this new episode isn't a return to form, it wasn't any worse just because it didn't have satire, absurdity and satire are about equal on their own.

In the beginning, the first two seasons especially, south park was charactarised by the absurd; talking sh*t, magical deadly snowmen, evil paralell universe clones and giant mutant turkeys. They could be intelligent and stupid at the same time, as in mr hanky the christmass poo. Or they could just be, you know, funny.

Humour is derived from the unexpected. Killer guinea pigs are clearly unexpected! I'm sure you could read in some kind of political message if you wanted, that's how most politics gets into litriture :p

Insults, and worse insults that are used as a substitute for good arguments, are epic faliures, and I'd avoid them like a really nasty rash.
Superior2you
Check my Fanarts!

Death will take us so don't fight it. Become it and lean to win.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:25 pm

superiorsavior wrote:
Anyone who has a different sense of humor from you is retarded

Snip

You just agreed with me- I was pointing out that sense of humor=/=intelligence.
So snip. :lol:
That's how it's down here on the farm!
SimeoBindo

Postby SimeoBindo » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:20 am

LOL "I Startled myself" OMG SO FUNNY XD
oysterhead

Postby oysterhead » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:26 am

Trey......you are a bloody genius.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”