*1214: The Ungroundable* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

TruthInTheCity

Re: *1214: The Ungroundable* Post-Air Discussion

Postby TruthInTheCity » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:40 pm

I'm surprised (and yet not) to hear that people don't like this episode. Ok so it doesn't have the oomph feeling of a season finale ep but I have to say this is the most original feeling episode I've seen in a while it doesn't feel like its been copied from some movie or show from the 70's or 80's that we all parted with a long time ago. The reason it doesn't feel like a finale is the tone that isn't exciting. The thing I don't understand is why the Goth kids burned down Hot Topic when a lot of Goth Kids I've known buy clothes from there. I guess maybe the Goth Kids on SP were creative with what they have around them and found ways to make themselves Goth without conforming to the Hot Topic corporation. Also am I the only one that actually liked Britney's New Look I didn't care for how the ep felt like it was dragged out but the ending I liked it shows what the core values of human nature are to see each other dead so that others can live for no reason.
WiLLiaint

Postby WiLLiaint » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:55 pm

Yeah, Butter's parent's seemed mean for the sake of being mean.
Otherwise, that was a hilarious episode. The biggest joke is the irony in how the goth kids "Don't care what anyone" thinks about them, yet the entire episode is based upon how much they care.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you can't
Stanley_Marsh109

Postby Stanley_Marsh109 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:58 pm

Best episode of the new season, hands down. The entire plot didn't revolve around a movie, it was all original- something rare in South Park these days. It had a good story and lots of laughs. I'd like to see South Park do more of this than the usual "let's spoof a movie and parody it till it's unbearably unfunny" spiel.

BTW, was Butters wearing a deathbat (A7X logo)?

Overall, a very weak season except for this episode. If more episodes like this one aren't made, I'm going to stop watching. See you guys next time.
I'm only happy when I'm in my misery...

Thanks to Mr. Hat_DX27 for the sig!
ShadowMasamune

Postby ShadowMasamune » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:01 pm

-thang wrote:Overall, I thought this episode sucked (no pun intended). As a season finale it was weak. The main boys were barely in there. I don't care too much for the goth kids, so the whole episode was bland. As a whole, the whole 12th season sucked as well.

I thought the guinea pigs were stupid. What are we 12? And I know some of you guys are (not that that's bad) but I liked it better when the boys were just being boys and had their own little adventures. I don't like it when they have to save the world or anything like that. Good examples from the past few seasons would be "Breast Cancer Show Ever" and "The List". I thought those were so much more funny than Indiana Jones getting raped a thousand times.

"Major Boobage" was funny too, but other than that, this season blew. Just go back to its roots where it used to be funny. Stop trying so hard to be funny and just be it. Stop making parodies of everything and make more original material. Feel free to comment (positively or negatively).

I enjoyed the Gulnea PIgs; it was classic Trey and Matt and I enjoyed major boobage. I agree that this season in general sucked. I thought Indiana Jones getting raped was awkward and weird.

The problem is that Matt and Trey are appealing to small targets of the audience and missing the whole audience in general. The Season finale was probably funny to some middle and high school students; however, alienates people like myself, who are 23 and in college, to whom cliques no longer matter. Kind of like the Indiana Jones movie; where I understand people' s pain with the new movie, however, there were still a bunch of people (like myself) who enjoyed the new movie. Going as far to create a visual metaphor regarding Indiana Jones being raped only caters to a small mentally distorted audience. Same with Britney Spears, it only caters to a small audience who agree with Chris Crocker about leaving Britney alone. By creating that visual metaphor as extreme as Brits head blown off only cater's to certain people and not the whole target audience of South Park.
SirKerrek

Postby SirKerrek » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:28 pm

OK, here's my run-down of the entire season:

Tonsil Trouble - 9/10 - I think I liked this more than most people did.

Britney's New Look - 4/10 - A real disappointment.

Major Boobage - 10/10 - Hurrah for the first Kenny episode in a while and for the best 30 minutes of the first run.

Canada on Strike - 8/10 - The viral video stuff was gold. The Canada stuff was only okay.

Eek, A Penis! - 7.25/10 - Glad to have MR. Garrison back.

Over Logging - 7.5/10 - Kind of weak, but the "ectoplasm" scene was unforgettable.

Super Fun Time - 9.75/10 - So good.

The China Probrem - 8.25/10 - Kind of a so-so way to start the second run.

Breast Cancer Show Ever - 10/10 - Absolutely amazing, my favorite of the season.

Pandemic - 7.5/10 - Low in laughs, but a set-up episode so it's forgiven.

Pandemic 2: The Startling - 8/10 - Craig = Chosen One. Sweet.

About Last Night... - 9.25/10 - Definitely a memorable one; very good.

Elementary School Musical - 8.75/10 - Not perfect, but the music numbers and slappy guy were both really good.

The Ungroundable - 8.25/10 - Imo, I weak way to end the season.

Overall, I think Season 12 was pretty good, certainly not my favorite, but on par with Season 10.

Final verdict for Season 12 Overall: 7.5/10 - An overall good season with a few letdowns, but still better than most stuff on television.

See you all next season... man I'm gonna miss this show.
Favorite Character: Butters
Favorite Episode: Good Times with Weapons
airmoreau86

Postby airmoreau86 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:33 pm

ShadowMasamune wrote:
-thang wrote:Overall, I thought this episode sucked (no pun intended). As a season finale it was weak. The main boys were barely in there. I don't care too much for the goth kids, so the whole episode was bland. As a whole, the whole 12th season sucked as well.

I thought the guinea pigs were stupid. What are we 12? And I know some of you guys are (not that that's bad) but I liked it better when the boys were just being boys and had their own little adventures. I don't like it when they have to save the world or anything like that. Good examples from the past few seasons would be "Breast Cancer Show Ever" and "The List". I thought those were so much more funny than Indiana Jones getting raped a thousand times.

"Major Boobage" was funny too, but other than that, this season blew. Just go back to its roots where it used to be funny. Stop trying so hard to be funny and just be it. Stop making parodies of everything and make more original material. Feel free to comment (positively or negatively).

I enjoyed the Gulnea PIgs; it was classic Trey and Matt and I enjoyed major boobage. I agree that this season in general sucked. I thought Indiana Jones getting raped was awkward and weird.

The problem is that Matt and Trey are appealing to small targets of the audience and missing the whole audience in general. The Season finale was probably funny to some middle and high school students; however, alienates people like myself, who are 23 and in college, to whom cliques no longer matter. Kind of like the Indiana Jones movie; where I understand people' s pain with the new movie, however, there were still a bunch of people (like myself) who enjoyed the new movie. Going as far to create a visual metaphor regarding Indiana Jones being raped only caters to a small mentally distorted audience. Same with Britney Spears, it only caters to a small audience who agree with Chris Crocker about leaving Britney alone. By creating that visual metaphor as extreme as Brits head blown off only cater's to certain people and not the whole target audience of South Park.

I have to totally agree. I am 22 and not in college, so i do not encounter cliques. What made episodes such as major boobage, BCSE, Trapped in thew Closet, All ABout the Mormons and so on, is that they were based on things anyone could relate, understand or at least be aware of. I've never heard of this Twilight, thing, nor did I ever really want to. So that's probably why I didn't enjoy this epispode and some others this season as much, even though i didn't fully hate any episode this season. Some good moments, but hopefully next season has more classics.
Zyblorg

Postby Zyblorg » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:42 pm

This episode was fine. Didn't quite burst into laughter like during last week's "Do What You Wanna Do." Still, interesting to finally see Butters going against his messed up parents.

I like it when shows focus on the other characters, and the Goth kids made for an interesting watch. I liked how they made certain people call them vampires while other older folks called them goth.

BTW, it was kind of a cop-out to blame it on Hot Topic. They could have covered a lot more ground by going after Twilight. In the old South Park fashion, they could have given Stephenie Meyer some outrageous motive to write the series. Kind of like how the Queer Eye people were crab people, except she wouldn't just be a vampire. That would be too easy.
marvel_freak_42

Postby marvel_freak_42 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:58 pm

WILLiaint wrote:The biggest joke is the irony in how the goth kids "Don't care what anyone" thinks about them, yet the entire episode is based upon how much they care.

I think what it was was that they didn't want to be associated with all the vampire conformists.

Overall, it was a good episode, (To see Butters hiss and say "per se" was good on its own) but definitely not a good memorable season closer. Then again, Season 12 wasn't all that memorable either, not that it was bad.
Founder of the Western Orthodox Branch of the Church of Butters!

"The world will know peace when humanity is extinguished."
-- False Awakenings
strumpfhose

Postby strumpfhose » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:09 pm

clyde frog wrote:i didn't realize that was the last episode of the season - wow. i thought it was a pretty weak episode to begin with but now knowing it was the season finale?! i don't think i have such crazy high standards i just want to laugh during an episode and this season - with the exception of guinea pigs dressed in costumes - the laughs were pretty sparse for me. I always think they're somewhat clever and they make fun of relevant things. But I don't watch a show just so I can go - Wow! That is an accurate cultural reference! I don't think it's just that I'm obsessed with their stuff from before (I'll even go as recent as last season!) and that I'm holding them to that standard, I wouldn't normally watch any show that kept me so unentertained. I don't want to give up on them but this is really not doing it for me. :timmy:

Amen! My thoughts exactly!
whatthejew

Postby whatthejew » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:43 pm

DEFINEsammie wrote:whatthejew is actually like my favourite person in the world.
Every single thing you say, I agree with xD

Aw I went to bed before I saw that, but thanks, that made me smile. xD

And, I usually don't rate the episodes, but I feel compelled to, so, S12 ratings imo:

Tonsil Trouble - 9/10 (I honestly love the episode a lot, if only for Kyle and Cartman interacting so much and poor Clyde Frog)

Britney's New Look - 6/10 (Alright, I don't hate it as much as most people do, the episode just felt awkward to me)

Major Boobage - 7/10 (I love that Kenny had a major part, but some parts just weren't funny to me, probably because I've never seen Heavy Metal)

Canada on Strike - 4/10 (Worst in the season, in my opinion, rarely made me laugh, the Canadians were great but the internet memes were lame, I'd seen them enough, just not funny)

Eek, A Penis! - 6/10 (Just eh on this, it was funny, but I don't care about Mr. Garrison much anymore, tbh)

Over Logging - 9/10 (I loved this episode, majorly, Randy was pretty much priceless, Stan and Kyle were great, I was happy with it)

Super Fun Time - 8/10 (Had some great moments, not entirely epicly hilarious, but it was a solid episode)

The China Probrem - 6/10 (I never saw Indiana Jones, so I didn't really care about it, did like the 'I love you!'s between Kyle and Stan though, it was alright, not the best way to start off the half-season though)

Brest Cancer Show Ever - 8.5/10 (Made me love Wendy even more since The List, Cartman got beat up, Craig has a cute smile, the beginning bored me a bit, tbh)

Pandemic - 8/10 (Craig is amazing, he made the episode)

Pandemic 2 - The Startling - 9/10 (On par with the last episode, Craig was even better, the guinea pigs made me laugh, and I'm older than 12)

About Last Night... - 6.5/10 (Only really liked the story with Ike's 'suicide' and the overreaction of the voters, I've never seen Ocean's 11 so a lot of that fell flat with me)

Elementary School Musical - 10/10 (Best of the season, I thought, the song at the end is stuck in my head all the time, Stan sang happy birthday to me, Kyle's jewfro, Bridon, I just really loved it)

The Ungroundable - 7/10 (Would have a higher rating if it wasn't the season finale, not super exciting, good in it's own way, but it felt very much like they were playing it safe)

Overall S12 wasn't my favorite season, but I don't see it as complete crap, it had its ups and downs and I liked it, can't wait for the next season to start. :3
Fanfiction account. | Myspace account. | MyAnimeList account.
Much easier to get to know me at one of those.
Also I love Kyle, no pedo, okay, maybe some.
CartmansWhore

Postby CartmansWhore » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:49 pm

Don't burn down Hot Topic, I love HT. And I have no label whatsoever .I think it's a cool store. :lol:
“The basis of all reasoning is the mind's awareness of itself. What we think, the external objects we perceive, are all like actors that come on and off stage. But our consciousness, the stage itself, is always present to us,” Trey Parker
mitchdunn

Postby mitchdunn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:03 pm

thank god im not the only one that thinks these latest episodes are not good.
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:10 pm

ShadowMasamune wrote:
BigCamera4892 wrote:
ShadowMasamune wrote:i signed up to express my feelings about this season...

Analysis: The essence of South Park is the four boys: Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and Butters.

South Park is about the only thing I watch on a consistent basis.

Thank you.

ShadowMasamune

"Butters" as one of the four main boys? What show are you watching? Substitute "Butters" for "Kenny" and you have the correct four boys, at least for 12 seasons now.

ShadowMasamune wrote:South Park is about the only thing I watch on a consistent basis.

If so, then you should know it's "Kenny" and not "Butters" as one of the four boys. Please watch again (if you have really watched any at all) of all of the episodes of all 12 seasons again and you will see that it's true. Please do that and then join us again here back on planet Earth -- we want you to come back.

You are overlooking what I said and paying attention to a minor detail that has nothing to do with this topic

Excuse me? A minor topic? The FOUR BOYS do NOT includes BUTTERS. Never mind, WE DON'T WANT YOU BACK ON PLANET EARTH. WHY DON'T YOU TRY MARS?
ugogo_uswimswim

Postby ugogo_uswimswim » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:20 pm

Wooooooooow! I'm so thrilled that the goth kids got their own episode! In case you don't know me, I freakin' adore the goth kids! For me, this was the best episode ever! I had to record it and watch it twice becasue the first time I watched it, I was way to excited to actually get the story line :) I thought it was lucky that the goth kids got a small part in The Breast Episode Ever, but then they get their own episode! *Squee*
Art is what happens when you learn to DREAM!!! -Atlantis Squarepantis

The only good Slash is the one from Guns N' Roses.
jewish pride

Postby jewish pride » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:45 pm

Tonsil Trouble - 10/10 (love this episode SO f*cking HARD!!!)
Britney's new look - 6/10 (worst of the season, but not worst ever imo)
Major Boobage - 9/10 (lots of kenny :D )
Canada on Strike - 9/10 (what what in the butt is GOLD!)
Eek, a penis! - 7/10 (could've done without the cartman part, garrison's story was funny and disgusting as usual lol)
Over Logging - 7/10 (was ok, randy was funny heheh)
Super Fun Time - 8/10 (butters dragging unconcious cartman to the bus was so great XD)
The China Problem - 7/10 (expected better for the clip, but it was good enough)
Breast Cancer Show Ever - 9/10 (wendy OWNED! and cartman eating his underwear lol)
Pandemic I & II - 8/10 (i really liked them, craig and randy were so funny :lol: )
About last night - 8/10 (it would be 9 if it werent for the ocean's 11 parody, LOVED the retarded mccain and obama supportes, specially randy lol)
Elementary School Musical - 10/10 (AWESOMENESS! cartman's failed suicide, kyle's hair, dancing and singing and slappy dad were so great!)
The Ungroubndable - 6/10 (bit dissapointing, but it had its moments)

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”