Aye aye...morals....and iPods.

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Just_Jackie

Aye aye...morals....and iPods.

Postby Just_Jackie » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:18 am

Okay, so, when I got on the bus today...I sat down in my seat and realized I sat on something. I looked and I had sat down on a lil black pouch. I honestly thought it was a cellphone. I was gonna look for a "home" or a listing for a spouse to call so I could return it.

But, when I opened the pouch, it was a 80 gig iPod. I was like, "Happy Birthday to me!" but Scott is giving me a hard time about tracking down the owner!

So I called Apple to see if the owner could be tracked down via their iTunes account, but they didn't register their iPod so, no go there. I called the office of the bus company and left my name and phone number so I can be reached if someone calls to report it missing.

How long is a good time to wait for someone to claim it before I just decide to keep it?
butters kenny

Re: Aye aye...morals....and iPods.

Postby butters kenny » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:20 am

I think it's "legally" 2 weeks...but i would just keep it. Screw tracking down the owner
I Wasn't choking you I was just hugging your neck

R.I.P Chef for realz this time

( chef joined the sith so why don't you?)

R.I.P Billy Bonka
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:07 am

Just_Jackie wrote:Aye aye...morals....and iPods.

15-degrees to port, full ahead aye! :lol:

I dunno, a month?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:06 am

Rule of thumb is a month, but if it's not registered, you won't hear a thing. Wait it out.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
missycartman

Postby missycartman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:33 pm

I just hope you don't get arrested like this man did ..

THE sickened good Samaritan barred from claiming £10,000 he found in the street last night vowed: “I wouldn’t even hand in a penny now.”

Honest Stephen Reilly, 26, handed the massive cash sum to cops after he found it in a bag under his works van.

He was told he could keep the dosh if it went unclaimed for three months.But police chiefs referred the case to the Government who ruled he couldn’t have it as it is the proceeds of crime.

Stephen hired a lawyer to challenge the move but
Ministers then hauled HIM to court yesterday in a counter-action and won their case.
FULL STORY HERE.......
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol ... 444413.ece
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:52 am

I would also say wait a month.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:24 am

missycartman wrote:He was told he could keep the dosh if it went unclaimed for three months.But police chiefs referred the case to the Government who ruled he couldn’t have it as it is the proceeds of crime.

Stephen hired a lawyer to challenge the move but
Ministers then hauled HIM to court yesterday in a counter-action and won their case.
FULL STORY HERE.......
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol ... 444413.ece

Why would he want stolen cash? f*ck, he should just drop the claim - it's gonna be more trouble than it's worth.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Ranius

Postby Ranius » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:39 am

What? Morals? In capitalism? Not worth it. Just keep the darn thing and if you feel generous enough you might even return it to the owner - for a fair price of course. (Just $399,99!) ;P
____
Idiocracy, Fog of war, Enemy Image, Zeitgeist, Addendum, Zeitgeist Refuted, B. and B. two faces of the same coin... So what is the truth?
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:21 pm

When it comes to moral dilemmas of this nature, I always rely on a poignant maxim I learned in youth:

"Finders - Keepers
Losers - Weepers"

It helps to reduce the moral agonizing.
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:08 pm

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Nice.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:41 pm

Pip Tweek wrote:"Finders - Keepers
Losers - Weepers"

I can't begin to tell you the bodily harm I wish to inflict upon people who use that phrase. Regardless of whether or not the situation pertains to me.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:20 am

BRMBug wrote:
Pip Tweek wrote:"Finders - Keepers
Losers - Weepers"

I can't begin to tell you the bodily harm I wish to inflict upon people who use that phrase. Regardless of whether or not the situation pertains to me.

I know how you feel, I was being 100% tongue-in-cheek about it. It just came to me as a funny thing to say in light of the situation. Of course you want to make a reasonable effort to find the owner. Anyone in this situation who would go "Woo-hoo! Free Ipod from God!" and not have a thought for the person who lost it is on some level morally reprehensible. So I say make an effort to let the owner know you have it, and then after a time if nothing comes of it, your reward for your decency is an 80GB Ipod and a clear conscience - in that order.
Michaeloptv

Postby Michaeloptv » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:14 am

I don't know who to ask. But I would feel really bad if it belonged to a KID and it was his first ipod :shock:

I mean, it's probably not, but the truth is it's not yours. I would try thick and thin to try to find the owner.

But after a month, I don't think it's worth it. So that's my two cents...
"Where I go, Destruction will follow"

I am a hybrid of Butters, Tweek, and Clyde.

Official Winner of Page 1900!
BigCamera4892

Postby BigCamera4892 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:15 am

Well, here's my 2¢ :

Found property is owned by the person who found it except for the true owner.

I would take the iPod to the police. If it was stolen, the true owner would like to get it back. If it was lost, the true owner would like to get it back.

But after a period of time (different in each city or State), if the true owner makes no effort to ask the police if the stolen property was turned in, or at least file a police report with the serial number, then the iPod is yours.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck :)
Ranius

Postby Ranius » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:32 pm

If i have to be serious about it, then 1 month it is with a few extra days on the side just in case.
The question that should be asked in this case is weather you need an ipod at all and base your decision on that. Whoever finds one and doesn't have one already either doesn't need it or can't afford it while Whoever had it must have bought or stolen it out of need or desire.
If it was needed then you should try to keep open about returning it even a little late. If you reckon you need it more than the previous owner it's your choice to keep it right away.

Note: as "desire" i mean wanting something even though you don't actually have any need of it = posession is everything.
____
Idiocracy, Fog of war, Enemy Image, Zeitgeist, Addendum, Zeitgeist Refuted, B. and B. two faces of the same coin... So what is the truth?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”