*1312: The F Word* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

dougwerd241

Re: *1312: The F Word* Post-Air Discussion

Postby dougwerd241 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:15 am

I really like seeing the chicken appear again especially after the Wrestling episode. The chicken is a crucial supporting character! Hilarous
sexymexijesse

Postby sexymexijesse » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:07 am

haha i know its f*cking annoying with pretty much anyone who draws attention with their bikes or their cars... I dunno about calling them fags... I always like to say they have small dicks....
Keyshown

Postby Keyshown » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:25 am

If some of you are watching South Park for a lesson in ethics than you most likely would go to a gay bath house too see how babies are made. Most insecure intolerant people don't watch this show because they're afraid they will be offended and their own kind (douchebags) will be ridiculed. This show is incredible and extremely relevant. If you can't pick up on that go jam out on some Guitar Queero fags. (Read new description of fag as per Emmanuel Lewis)
Just walk away and we will spare your lives
cavemanlawyer

Postby cavemanlawyer » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:27 am

Great show yet again. Still a little 'bike-curious' about the identity of the woman who was berating the Mayor for not paying attention to the dictionary...was she Nancy Pelosi like 90 years ago or something?
urbear1987

Postby urbear1987 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:49 am

Kitsunebaby wrote:
avh28 wrote:
Kitsunebaby wrote:I'm so glad south park did this. I've never understood why people get so upset about the negative use of a word that that originally had nothing to do with them. A word that THEY chose to associate with themselves.

I don't undewrstand why homosexuals get upset that the word "gay" is used to mean stupid or annoying when the term didn't originally even mean homosexual. Besides, do you think handicapped people get upset when people use the word "lame" the way they typically do nowadays.

It's stupid when people choose to be victims and feel offended at something that wasn't directed towards them at all. It's even worse when other pretentious douches choose to get upset on the behalf of those who were "insulted" just to feel that they're doing something good. Thank you so much south park!

LGBT people get offended because there still are two different meanings to the word. When growing up trying to figure out an identity for yourself it can be extremely detrimental to hear constantly "that's so gay" or "f.a.g." even if people don't mean homosexual because it is still associated with that meaning. 30% of LGBT youth in this country commits suicide because of the pressures and social ramifications of identifying with a group that is constantly associated with negative everyday insults. Think about it. Just so you can get kicks for saying a word, someone may really be struggling to fit in.

... and you don't care because it's not happening to you.

Please don't assume you know what's happening to me and everyone else in the LGBT community. I'm a bisexual girl with VERY conservative catholic parents. My mother gets upset and worried everytime I even mention that a woman is attractive and I know how awkward it is when you are trying to figure out your own identity. I, however, don't get upset at the negative use of words when they are not directed at me. Neither do most of my gay and lesbian friends because they, too, have common sense.

I understand that the current negative uses of "f*g" and "gay" have probably come about due to some negative feelings towards those people, but if you know that the people using the word mean no harm toward you or your sexuality then WHY get upset over it. Why not just allow the words to change meanings as they have done for centuries. If you want to be offended and complain about being personally attacked then I guess this is the perfect chance for you. I guess I can complain when people are called "pussies" because it's insulting a female body part. You do see how ridiculous that is, right? I myself am not a victim, and so I don't get upset at naughty words by deciding that they are somehow attacking me.

Also, that 30% sounds like a ridiculous statistic and I would like to know what study it came from. I have known and been friends with many lesbian, gay, and bisexual people through my life and the only one who ever TRIED to commit suicide was me several times back in middle school, and that was for reasons completely unrelated to my sexuality. You have no ability of knowing why someone kills themselves and it is irresponsible of you to claim that it's because of their sexuality. Sometimes people are just depressed. I guess if you want, then ALL problems can be blamed on society.

It's great that you have never felt insulted personally or insecure about your position in life because of overhearing comments like that. I'm also glad you've never had to deal with serious depression or suicide because of those issues.

The 30% stat comes from actual research done by organizations which go across the country asking gay and lesbian individuals about their experiences. Rather then anecdotal experience by a single teenager.

1 in 10 teenagers on average across the country is gay or lesbian. A large portion of those will hear the terms "gay" and "fag" used in derogatory terms, many directed at them. 1 in 5 suicide attempts that are unsuccessful are reported by the attemptor as being because of harassment based on sexual orientation, perceived sexual orientation or gender identity or perceived gender identity. Many of the suicide attempts that do succeed include notes to family and loved ones about why they have killed themselves.

I'm HAPPY that you have never suffered through that. But to assume that no one does because you happened to have a good stroke of luck with your living situation, friends, and family is no reason to scoff at the suffering of others. NO child should feel so hated or socially outcast that suicide seems like a solution. Any behavior that pushes someone to that idea should not be viewed as respectable or acceptable by society. Yes, you have the freedom to say those things, it doesn't mean you're not an assh*le for doing it.

There is no need to use the terms "gay" and "fag" to insult someone.
purpletres

Postby purpletres » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:20 am

did anyone else catch a subtle alluding to other words in the english dictionary that have changed in current times?

like say, the word "marriage"... ?

let go of your old definitions, and get with the current times!
"If you're offended, I'm just kidding."
Zyblorg

Postby Zyblorg » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:28 am

CALLED IT! Actually, no one posted that as what it would be when I was last here. I'm a bit surprised.

Edit: I looked, and there WAS one guess before mine. Point is, it was obvious.

It's also completely ironic that f-a-g gets retranslated as fag, contrary to what the episode said.
Last edited by Zyblorg on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitsunebaby

Postby Kitsunebaby » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:39 am

urbear1987 wrote:
It's great that you have never felt insulted personally or insecure about your position in life because of overhearing comments like that. I'm also glad you've never had to deal with serious depression or suicide because of those issues.

The 30% stat comes from actual research done by organizations which go across the country asking gay and lesbian individuals about their experiences. Rather then anecdotal experience by a single teenager.

1 in 10 teenagers on average across the country is gay or lesbian. A large portion of those will hear the terms "gay" and "homosexual" used in derogatory terms, many directed at them. 1 in 5 suicide attempts that are unsuccessful are reported by the attemptor as being because of harassment based on sexual orientation, perceived sexual orientation or gender identity or perceived gender identity. Many of the suicide attempts that do succeed include notes to family and loved ones about why they have killed themselves.

I'm HAPPY that you have never suffered through that. But to assume that no one does because you happened to have a good stroke of luck with your living situation, friends, and family is no reason to scoff at the suffering of others. NO child should feel so hated or socially outcast that suicide seems like a solution. Any behavior that pushes someone to that idea should not be viewed as respectable or acceptable by society. Yes, you have the freedom to say those things, it doesn't mean you're not an assh*le for doing it.

There is no need to use the terms "gay" and "homosexual" to insult someone.

Yet again there's no link to any study for me to see. I realize that my anecdotal experiences mean absolutely nothing but I also know that if these organisations went, "across the country asking gay and lesbian individuals about their experiences" then your statistics mean nothing if they were determined without a randomly selected sample of people. Anyone who has taken an elementary course in statistics would know that. I am wondering where you got your information as reporting that 10% of teenagers are gay or lesbian seems rather black and white for a subject with so many shades of grey. This is getting off topic however.

My entire point is that most common language is offensive to somebody or something. Bastards is offensive toward illegitimate children. Fatass is offensive toward anyone who is sensitive about their weight. Lame is offensive to crippled people. Pussy is offensive to women. I guess we should just do away with all offensive language. What's that called again? Oh right, censorship! I have to say it's quite odd that someone who is in favor of censorship watches south park: the show most wholeheartedly AGAINST censorship.

Everyone gets upset at things that others say. They always have, they always will. I suggest that if people can't handle this they should go find a nice rock to live under where noone can ever speak to them. Or they can grow some balls and realize that their problems are no more important than anyone else's. They can choose to get upset at whatever they want but to claim that others are in the wrong and need to change when they are doing nothing that humans haven't done for centuries is horribly arrogant. Words change, get over it.
Last edited by Kitsunebaby on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennin

Postby Dennin » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:41 am

<I tried to post this earlier, but something EFFED up, so here goes attempt #2>

Ohh WAAAA BOO HOO!
To the gay folks that got offended. "It's all funny until you think they're making fun of you." (Which they were not).

To the upset bikers "It's all... oh eff it, see above in quotation marks." (BTW Which they were).

To the dude who said he would like to see someone say that to a patched bikers face. Well first off, if you need your bro's to have your back, I'm not really that worried about ya.

This was an awesome episode. I laughed my a$$ off all the way through it.

If you suddenly found yourself offended at the percieved notion that you were being singled out for ridicule, well then you're a dumba$$ f4g. I mean Southpark has always, and I really mean ALWAYS, poked fun at anything and everything, with no regard to race, religion, sexual orientation, demographic segment, political beliefs, sex or species. HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW ONE DAY IT MIGHT BE YOU (even though it wasn't if you're gay, but it was if you are a f4ggot harley rider). I'm still waiting for them to make fun of egotistical rich a$$holes who drive sports cars, so I can laugh at the other guys like me.
The reason why people get offended when Southpark makes fun of a certain type of person, or stereotype, is because they usually hit the nail SMACK DAB on the head. It's funny because it's mostly true. (BTW Butters is right, most chicks on the backs of Harley's don't have a full set of teeth).

C'mon folks, this is not a moral lesson, or meant to be educational. IT'S COMEDY (peep the networks name, it ain't Discovery, dumba$$).
If you can laugh at others yet cannot laugh at yourself, or handle others laughing at you, well your an extremely insecure, self-centered douche... ie a +F4G+. :timmy:

And yes words change, languages constantly evolve, otherwise we would all still be saying OOK OOK BRUBAHBUBAHBUBAHBUB-BUB-BUB-BUBUB-ub! BUB-BUB.

And God is a giant flying spaghetti monster!
Last edited by Dennin on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
People are like slinky's, pretty much useless, but they make me smile when I push 'em down the stairs.
Beeb

Ha ha - Words Mean

Postby Beeb » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:56 am

bicycle = Mr. Garrion's identiy journey :lol:
~
P.S. - I take offense to "grow some balls" phrase... why not say, "grow some boobs" or "grow some lips"? As if at will, one can just grow it. :?
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:09 am

South Park Tries and Fails to Redefine “The F-Word”
GLAAD is reaching out to Comedy Central immediately for a public response to this episode and asks that the episode be removed from any future airings.

GLAAD is going to be disappointed. Other groups have tried to get other episodes removed from future airings, all have failed.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
avh28

Postby avh28 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:12 am

Kitsunebaby wrote:
urbear1987 wrote:

1 in 10 teenagers on average across the country is gay or lesbian. A large portion of those will hear the terms "gay" and "homosexual" used in derogatory terms, many directed at them. 1 in 5 suicide attempts that are unsuccessful are reported by the attemptor as being because of harassment based on sexual orientation, perceived sexual orientation or gender identity or perceived gender identity. Many of the suicide attempts that do succeed include notes to family and loved ones about why they have killed themselves.

There is no need to use the terms "gay" and "homosexual" to insult someone.

Yet again there's no link to any study for me to see. I realize that my anecdotal experiences mean absolutely nothing but I also know that if these organisations went, "across the country asking gay and lesbian individuals about their experiences" then your statistics mean nothing if they were determined without a randomly selected sample of people. Anyone who has taken an elementary course in statistics would know that. I am wondering where you got your information as reporting that 10% of teenagers are gay or lesbian seems rather black and white for a subject with so many shades of grey. This is getting off topic however.

My entire point is that most common language is offensive to somebody or something. Bastards is offensive toward illegitimate children. Fatass is offensive toward anyone who is sensitive about their weight. Lame is offensive to crippled people. Pussy is offensive to women. I guess we should just do away with all offensive language. What's that called again? Oh right, censorship! I have to say it's quite odd that someone who is in favor of censorship watches south park: the show most wholeheartedly AGAINST censorship.

Everyone gets upset at things that others say. They always have, they always will. I suggest that if people can't handle this they should go find a nice rock to live under where noone can ever speak to them. Or they can grow some balls and realize that their problems are no more important than anyone else's. They can choose to get upset at whatever they want but to claim that others are in the wrong and need to change when they are doing nothing that humans haven't done for centuries is horribly arrogant. Words change, get over it.

If you would really like the statistical information, try here. http://www.youth-suicide.com/gay-bisexu ... tudies.htm or you can google 30% of gay suicide. I absolutely think that it's gret that you don't take offense to slurs as a bisexual woman. I am also a part of the LGBT community and the only reason I seek to bring awareness to that is that some of my LGBT brothers and sisters do take offense, are contemplating suicide, and are going through chaotic periods in their life. Why should they have to be tormented? Why don't they get equality. And fyi, there are women who hate the word pussie, cripples who hate lame, mentally challenged that don't like retarded, and yes you have a point about offensive language being everywhere, but why is it ok to allow people to say those words when our society has such a double standard when it comes to , for example, racial slurs? Just because YOU'RE ok with it doesn't mean you should create a climate that fosters and promotes someone else's uncomfortabilty.
CityWokEmployee

Postby CityWokEmployee » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:13 am

This was the best ep of the season IMO.

The beauty of SouthPark is that it has so much INFLUENCE over us today, that we will start calling bikers "fags". Cus they are.

Love it...always have always will.

AAABLABLABLABLABLAAAHHH
Dennin

Postby Dennin » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:15 am

Big-Will wrote:South Park Tries and Fails to Redefine “The F-Word”
GLAAD is reaching out to Comedy Central immediately for a public response to this episode and asks that the episode be removed from any future airings.

GLAAD is going to be disappointed. Other groups have tried to get other episodes removed from future airings, all have failed.

You know what else... Gay people piss me off, now that F4G has a new meaning, we should give the homosexuals back the word QUEER, after all, it is most fitting.... except the lesbians, lesbians are hot... on the internet and porno maybe. The real ones are usually kinda butch and homely..

There now you have something else to bitch about, quit griping about the show. Gays suck, no really, they literally do, at least the male ones....

And yo! YOU, Yeah the one whining about gay suicide. People (who are not gay) also commit suicide all the time. Suicide is just part of natural selection, after all this insures that the species not only survives but thrives by culling those who are deficient, I mean lacking the natural self preservation instinct is, well to put it mildly, a major flaw, ain't it. And if you are gay and feel there is nothing wrong with it, why are you so concerned with what others think.
People are like slinky's, pretty much useless, but they make me smile when I push 'em down the stairs.
CityWokEmployee

Postby CityWokEmployee » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:25 am

Pip Tweek wrote:Man, it's weird how we all love SP yet our sense of humor can be so different. I haven't really liked any of the episodes of this second half of the season run, but this one, I loved. It was by far the best of the current run (so far) and I'm still debating whether or not it trumps my favorite (Margaritaville.)

You took the words right outa my mouth. Most of this season was whatever, aside from margaritaville and fatbeard...but this ep was hilarious...yet u get some ppl saying how whatever this one was, and how hilarious the others were.

i guess southpark attracts all senses of humor eh?

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”