Lay off Seth McFarlane

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

King Of Canada

Lay off Seth McFarlane

Postby King Of Canada » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:18 pm

For gods sake you guys, you don't have to follow everything Matt and Trey say. South Park and Family Guy are both funny in there own way. South Park has plot jokes, and Family guy has cut-a-ways. I like South park and Family Guy, so what? Trying to compare the shows is like trying to compare Moder Warfare 2 to The Beatles Rock band. Both are fun games, but they aren't the same.

Just please develop your own opinion, not one a TV show has given you.
Generation 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
BRMBug

Re: Lay of Seth McFarlane

Postby BRMBug » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:14 pm

I don't. I came to the conclusion that not every episode of Family Guy is exactly my cup of tea long before I got into South Park, and before they ripped on Family Guy even. If you like it, fine. Good for you. I'll just be over :arrow: here, watching something else at that time. Thanks though.
Ike_ve

Postby Ike_ve » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:27 pm

I totally agree with the King of Canada.
I watch FG and SP and i love both shows. They don't have the same humor but they both are pretty funny.

And it's ignorant that fans of SP don't watch FG just becouse SP made an episode about FG. :)
And respect for those like BRMbug that don't like FG couse of their OWN opinion, not SP's
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:20 pm

I agree with Bug, and not just because he's awesome in general. I think he's right about Family Guy.

I am getting ready to graduate with a degree in electronic media, for which I had to study media writing. I also have 5 friends who are authors. The creative process is a hard one. To come up with new ideas is tough. Family Guy doesn't come up with new ideas very much, they just rip things away that other people have created and slip them into their scripts.

There was a scene once where a car drove through the wall of a house and The Kool Aid man was sitting in a chair within the house and said, "Wow. If I knew how annoying that is I wouldn't have done it." or something similar.

What did McFarlane or the Family Guy writers do to create or promote The Kool Aid man? Nothing. That was someone elses hard work. But they sure as hell have no problem exploiting the work of others rather than come up with their own ideas. South Park does parody too, yes. But it's not all they do.

Seth McFarlane has become rich off the work of other media professionals, and he's a douchebag.
Your Moms Fav Person

Postby Your Moms Fav Person » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:23 pm

Lmfao people need to give Seth a brake, sure not everyone likes his shows, but he seems like a nice guy, and every one is all like:
"BLARGH! Seth Mcfarlane so stoopid zoh mah gawd! Im like so toteslliez smarterer than him, they don't even havez a plot, SP does, Seth should die, like 4rizzle"

And just because South Park makes fun of something, dosen't mean you have to stop enjoying it
I was evilcupcake72 or evilcuntcake72, depends on if you liked me or not

Can you tell me what's similar between a raven and a writing desk?
Niels wrote:Something

deviantART: http://evilcupcake72.deviantart.com/
formspring: http://www.formspring.me/AtomicPlatypus
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:47 pm

...I fixed the thread title. For the longest time I couldn't figure out what "Lay of Seth McFarlane" was supposed to mean.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
stevesut1

Re: Lay off Seth McFarlane

Postby stevesut1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:52 pm

I agree, they're both good shows. Why compare them? Just enjoy them for what they are.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:56 pm

I hate Family Guy because I hate its humor. That's all.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
nwt000

Postby nwt000 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:57 pm

Seth is actually really cool and so is his work. Will 1406 be about Canadians?
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:46 pm

They're different shows. FG shouldn't be despised because they use a ton of pop-culture references. Especially not among South Park viewers. SP does it all the time but they get away with it because it's more subtle.

I think that if FG got rid of all the pop-culture crap, it would still be a funny show because of the characters.
Granted, sometimes it's awful, but SP isn't bullet-proof either.

As far as Seth ripping off other people's ideas, please refer to SP episode 607: The Simpsons already did it. There's a lesson in there about originality.

Also, the change in the title doesn't make things any clearer for me; at first I thought "Lay off SM" meant that Seth should be laid off as a creator. :cartmanko'd: :cartmanko'd: :cartmanko'd:
Jay C

Postby Jay C » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 pm

I hated it before it was cool to hate Family Guy. *smug face*
Read my horrible webcomic you fat assh*le!
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:03 am

Just_Jackie wrote:There was a scene once where a car drove through the wall of a house and The Kool Aid man was sitting in a chair within the house and said, "Wow. If I knew how annoying that is I wouldn't have done it." or something similar.

I don't know if it was that season or throughout the series, but there was a runner of The Kool Aid man bursting through random walls at inopportune times.
Last edited by BRMBug on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kensuke

Postby Kensuke » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:28 am

All I know is that both shows were funnier in their older episodes.
"If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss" ~ Eminem

AxayPaulene wrote:
Niels0827 wrote:But he (RideTheLightning)wanted Kensuke's hot man chowder.
Don't we all?
Your Moms Fav Person

Postby Your Moms Fav Person » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:33 am

Kensuke wrote:All I know is that both shows were funnier in their older episodes.

agreed
I was evilcupcake72 or evilcuntcake72, depends on if you liked me or not

Can you tell me what's similar between a raven and a writing desk?
Niels wrote:Something

deviantART: http://evilcupcake72.deviantart.com/
formspring: http://www.formspring.me/AtomicPlatypus
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:18 am

I can remember when Family Guy was first on the air in 1999..I saw it, because I was watching Fox to see The Simpsons, and King of The Hill and Futurama, I just watched an episode or two of Family Guy because it either followed or was in between those shows. I wasn't really impressed, I didn't really connect with the characters or think the humor was anything that special..I wasn't really impressed with the show, so I didn't really notice when it was canceled. Then, in 2003, and 2004, people I was friends with had the show on DVD, and it was on adult swim, so I gave it another chance..I liked it ok, but, there are many animated shows I like a lot more..That is about how I feel about it now. It is ok, I will watch the new episodes or reruns if I get bored...But It isn't my favorite. I mean, it is on Adult Swim right now and I am watching The Daily Show.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”