Too much plot not enough funnies!

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

SouthernParkington

Too much plot not enough funnies!

Postby SouthernParkington » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:38 pm

south park really hasnt been its funny self recently. yes i appreciate the amount of effort they have put into the storylines but whilst they did that they havnt been as funny. south park is a comedy first and foremost.
Bylle

Re: Too much plot not enough funnies!

Postby Bylle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:30 pm

Personally I think South Park has gotten better and better since about Season 9. I have been watching the show faithfully since season 1, when I was in high school. Perhaps you just don't understand all the humor involved anymore? Much of the comedy to South Park has become more complex and I love it!
Pennington

Postby Pennington » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:05 pm

I'm with Bylle. I've been with the show since Cartman got anally probed, and I think it's the only piece of entertainment - period - that I'm every bit as into now as I was in middle school. (I mean, MIDDLE SCHOOL, for chrissakes.) I think the reason for this is that it's one of the only things I was into that actually grew up as I did. South Park could've easily pandered to the teen/college crowd and relied solely on shock humor until the show got cancelled, but I give huge kudos to Matt and Trey for allowing it to grow and evolve, and for having the balls to try different things whenever the formula wears out.

But, I suppose it could always go the Family Guy route and not bother with a plot at all. :wink:
kieranic

Postby kieranic » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:37 am

I agree with the last two, but a good ol' shock episode is always good every few episodes :) (I guess Season 14's would've been either been 200/1 or Medicinal since the last one has a lot more swearing that usual (yay! :P ) and well, the controversy around 200/201)
babrock

Postby babrock » Sun May 02, 2010 2:49 am

SouthernParkington wrote :
> south park really hasnt been its funny self recently. yes i appreciate the
> amount of effort they have put into the storylines but whilst they did that
> they havnt been as funny. south park is a comedy first and foremost.

I disagree and I think similarly to t folowing posters. I think SP is funnyer when they are making fun of a taget that so richly deserves to be ridiculed, be it t hypocrasy involved w religios morality, predjiduce, cult of celebrity personality or whatnot.

For instence, even t joke of Cartman crapping into a bucket while playing "World of Warcraft" was funny mostly because it seved to make fun of how ridiculouse peoples obsesions can be w things like that. W/o that it would simply have been Cartman crapping into a bucket. Funny maybe but not nearly as funny.

W/o apropriot targets t humor would be like endless Terrenc and Phillip jokes. T&P jokes are mostly funny, I think, precisly because they are so utterly pointless. As I get it w them t joke is that anyone could posibly be so stupid to find that funny, come on, one cannot seriosly preffer that to SP.

I have to admit that I am a somewhat militent atheist and so I particularly enjoy t ones where religion is made fun of, but most anything that takes itself too seriosly is funny when taken down a peg or so. Nothing takes itself as seriosly as religion is why those jokes are so particularly funny.

B
Roshi

Postby Roshi » Sun May 02, 2010 10:35 am

I have to agree with SoutherParkington. South Park just isn't making me laugh anymore.

Just ask yourself, did you actually laugh at episode or were you just amused.

When the show first started, and yeah I was watching it back then, it would make me laugh so hard, I'd get tears on occasion. This season has been as much of a yawn-fest to me as seasons 6- about 8/9. It just sad to see Matt and Trey slipping so much.
kangaroo62

Postby kangaroo62 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:34 am

What are "funnies"? Do you mean a joke? Cause i've never heard of a funny.
Did somebody say kill a jew?
Longtimefan

Postby Longtimefan » Tue May 04, 2010 4:44 pm

There's a post like this every week claiming that South Park has gotten worse. Instead of disagreeing with you, typing 4 paragraphs of why the new ones are better and asking why you still watch, I'll ask this: What are these wonderful "funnies" episodes you speak of? What are some of your favorite episodes that are so much better than the recent ones?
metboi07

Postby metboi07 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:47 pm

Yeah I just have to say ppl will have their opinions and criticize what they believe is "funnies" and what isn't "funnies." Like the previous post I've also been a fan of SP since the "Cartman gets an anal probe" ep. But yeah, comparing SP now to what it was back then would be pointless. The humor has gotten more complex and intellegent. Plus SP has a lot of references to other television shows and movies, and if you don't get it, then you obviously won't consider it funny.
Beasties

Postby Beasties » Fri May 07, 2010 4:01 am

I think that the show focus more on the plot, but I think that South Park still have funny scene. Medicinal Fried Chicken was funny, and the last one too. Its my opinion.
A real friend is hard to find and hard to forget. A simple friend is easy to find a can be your worst enemy in a snap.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:07 am

Longtimefan wrote :
> There's a post like this every week claiming that South Park has gotten
> worse. Instead of disagreeing with you, typing 4 paragraphs of why the new
> ones are better and asking why you still watch, I'll ask this: What are
> these wonderful "funnies" episodes you speak of? What are some
> of your favorite episodes that are so much better than the recent ones?

Longtimefan's quote above is very similar to my own views, so I'll just adopt the above as my post :)
Kruegster

Postby Kruegster » Fri May 07, 2010 5:48 am

Roshi

>Just ask yourself, did you actually laugh at episode or were you just amused.

I couldn't agree more for some of the episodes of SP. I have been watching SP since the first season, and in this last season (15), I have not been laughing much at some of the episodes. There have been some episodes where I have shrugged my shoulders at the end, thinking, "It was ok. It definately was not hilarious though."

I am very disappointed about the new "Crippeled Summer" episode. I couldn't beleve SP could make such an awful, boring episode; this new episode is by far my least favorite SP episode.

What was funny about it? Later, I watched the episode again to try to figure out what could be funny. In the whole episode the only moment where I laughed (both times watching it) was when Eric Cartman recited anti-Jew talk from the huge stack of papers. Two other ok moments, where I could see someone laughing: Towlie having a baby with a woman, and the therapist guy crying with Towlie.

What else was funny?

A stupid villian making plans that backfire can be funny, but in the SP episode, the plots are pretty obious and very predicatable-you just know that the Red Captain will get blown up by his own C4. The only twist was the raping shark... but I thought that was more weird than funny.

A towel smoking marijuana can be funny, but in this episode, I don't think most of Towlie's moments are even remotely funny. All he does is smoke something over an over again. Mkay... Does much happen with the addicted Towel? Not a whole lot, most of what he does is smoke and smoke and smoke and suck a guys dick and throw up on a girl and smoke... Towlie may be good for a luagh once and a while, but just showing him smoking over and over again isn't all that exciting.

It is one thing to have great jokes and really funny parts along with some creepy moments, but in this episode there are creepy moments of a towel sucking a dick and a shark raping a retard without the funny moments.
Longtimefan

Postby Longtimefan » Wed May 12, 2010 5:54 am

Kruegster-

The last episode of a run on South Park tends to be either hit or miss, as even MnT will tell you. They've said before that when it gets to the end they're so wiped that they just go for anything to get it over with, usually a simple idea that writes itself. In this case, they went back to the Looney Tunes bit like they did in 'Osama Bin Laden has Farty Pants', and made fun of the show intervention. Now to go after that show, you need a serious addict, and where else can you get one than Towelie? MnT know what Towelie is good for; hell, they had Cartman put it perfectly at the end of his very first episode: "You're the worst character ever Towelie", and Towelie replies "I know". You can't take South Park too seriously because imo MnT don't. They tell you what they think is funny or annoying, and if you agree you'll enjoy it.

On to the been watching since the first season comment.. Once again, are you saying that episodes like Kathy Lee Gifford, Scuzzlebutt, and Mecha-Streisand are the best South Park has to offer? If you listen to MnT, they will tell you themselves that the show really didn't click until about the 3rd season, when they started satirizing more and doing more intelligent comedy like Chinpokomon. Then in season 4 you see more topical comedy like 'The Quintuplets' (Elian Gonzalez), 'Cartman's Silly Hate Crime' (hate crime), and 'Cherokee Hair Tampons' (Holistic Medicine). Move on thru the series and the episodes start to focus mostly on more identifiable topics such as religion, tv shows/movies, and politics; really anything that is news at that time. South Park has the benefit of being able to touch on something that is happening just this week since they do not write the show until the week before, thus giving them the opportunity to be topical and current.

I just don't see how you guys that are complaining are still watching after all this time, there are like 2 episodes in every series that have little to no point and are just silly and shocking (Medicinal Fried Chicken this run) and then the rest have all been satire and things MnT don't like. I mean last season you had Margaritaville about the economy (can't believe how they made the swing back to Jesus and LOVED "the chart"), Fishsticks on Kanye West, WTF on Wrestling, The F-word on Harley Riders, Dances with Smurfs on Glenn Beck AND Avatar, Fatbeard on the Somali pirates; hell, even Pee seemed to be influenced by 2012 and even threw a little 28 days later/zombie movies in there. It's not like these episodes aren't following the formula, it's been like this for awhile. Just know that the show isn't going to be reverting back, so I'd suggest either try and enjoy, or buy season 1 and 2 dvds (they're pretty cheap now too) and watch them whenever you need a fix. I still just don't understand why you people are on the forum and watching the show (more than once apparently :lol: ) when you don't like it.. Very strange... :gaykenny:

Return to “General South Park Discussion”