Shakira Criticizes Arizona?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

PukeAndSnot

Shakira Criticizes Arizona?

Postby PukeAndSnot » Sun May 02, 2010 2:36 am

When it comes to politics, I usually find myself on the Democratic side of most issues. But not all. Take the Arizona immigration law for instance. I'm all for it. Now I love visiting Mexico, love the culture, and, living in Denver, I have a lot of hispanic friends. But a line has to be drawn somewhere and Arizona has done it.

When Matt and Trey do an episode about illegal South Park immigrants (and we all know they will), they should put Shakira at the fore front of the jokes (or is that the butt end?) . I saw her on CNN talking about how victims of domestic violence who are illegal immigrants would be afraid to call the police. Well duh! What is this new law supposed to do? Is she really that stupid or do all illegal immigrants really think law enforcement is supposed to serve them equally with U.S. tax payers? As a tax payer, I hate paying taxes much less paying taxes to protect and serve those who don't! And it's really that simple. In this country, we don't pay taxes to protect the rights of those who don't. [End of soap box.]
Niels0827

Re: Shakira Criticizes Arizona?

Postby Niels0827 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:15 am

I'm exactly like you in this regard. I'm politically liberal. I'm not registered to vote, but I'd register as a Democrat. But when immigration comes up, it's a different story.

Besides myself, the only people in my family who are NOT immigrants are my mother and my brother, as well as two cousins. And my brother and two cousins were all born after me. My mom was born in Wyoming.

My father is an immigrant from Denmark. He came here in 1979, and his cousin, who lives in Colorado now, came here around the same time. The rest of my entire family on my dad's side lives in Denmark, and everyone on my mom's side came from Canada, Belgium, and France.

My family waited their turns in line to be granted citizenship. It's a ridiculously long and hectic process, but they did it. How fair is it that people south of the border get to just barge in here, deliberately violating our laws, and demand rights that aren't theirs to have? Living here is a privilege, not a right. If they want to come here, they need to get in line with everyone else.

Yes, America was founded upon immigration, but laws are supreme, and they are there for a reason. These people willingly and purposely break our laws and demand that we cater to them. They need to go back home and get in line.

Now despite my views, I'm still against the whole notion that Arizona offers can randomly stop a person based on their appearance and demand paperwork. That's racial profiling. But in addition, even about 99% of Americans can't prove they're citizens of this country on the spot. A driver's license or ID card is not proof of citizenship. A passport is. But who carries those with them everywhere? That's what's f*cked up.
2+2=5

Postby 2+2=5 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:50 am

The liberal media originally reported on the law as if the problematic element was racial profiling. If your going to randomly search individuals on a state bordering Mexico in an attempt to identify and deport, as well as deter future illigal immigrants, then as most illigals come from the neighbouring state it would be a waste of poliece time and tax-payer funded resources as well as a huge inefficiency and a drain on innocent people who are likely not immigrants to search all races. The problem as Niels points out is with random stop-searches themselves; very few people cary full ID wherever they go, its a liability in the age of ID theft, it is easilly forgotten, its a nusence, etc. The poliece are unlikely to capture a high proportion of illigals if they search mexicans randomly, or "look at their shoes" and regressively search poor mexicans even. Not only is it a guaranteed waste of all those things i mentioned it'd be a negligably larger waste of without racial (and class) profiling, its also going to harm the state's burgeoning tourist industry - who wants to visit the grand canyon if you need a passport with you and are at risk of being searched at all times- and can ruin lives if someone even an innocent person commits the victimless misdemenor of not having ID they can go to jail for a short period but that misdemenor could lead to them loosing their job having dificulty finding another job, loosing their home and their healthcare and their kids education and health prospects and creating a whole cycle of poverty for a f*cking ID. The vague wording of the bill has changed to limit poliece power and subjectivity but its still not the most objective law.

Too much emphasis of one small element of a bad law, distracts from how stinky the whole pile of elephant sh*t is. There are economic benefit of um illigally hiring desperate benefit-less below minimum wage pseudo-slaves who are efficient workers but should we be living off slavery still / who do these low prices benefit most / would giving the jobs currently occupied by illigals to transitory workers who can cross for a short time (legally) and then go home carry the same benefits (should such workers get legal insurance etc? should hiring them be legal since i takes jobs from local taxpaying americans who shop in the USA?). Work has to go into developing Mexico or making america a shity place to emigrate to - either way we have to remove the ultimate motivation to emigrate. Should even transitory workers who can't speak fluent english be aloud to dwell in the nation - a divided house soon falls, and without a single language how can a nation be united? These things have to be taken into consideration when constructing imigration laws, and these need tightening, but the AZ law is just fueling the liberal media's bonfire of all imigration - as the liberal medias focus on race and identity politics fuels the steryotypes the right wing media (everything but msnbc) have made of them.
SuperMaids/superiorsavior/PIPaul strikes again...because he forgot his Passover. Again.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Sun May 02, 2010 6:13 am

Moved because this is a political discussion beyond the scope of the show. Besides, we already had Goobacks.
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
PukeAndSnot

Postby PukeAndSnot » Sun May 02, 2010 6:40 am

Big-Will wrote :
> Moved because this is a political discussion beyond the scope of the show.
> Besides, we already had Goobacks.

Yeah but what if the people in South Park profiled canucks because of their egg heads? LOL!
PukeAndSnot

Postby PukeAndSnot » Sun May 02, 2010 6:44 am

Niels0827 wrote :
>
> Now despite my views, I'm still against the whole notion that Arizona
> offers can randomly stop a person based on their appearance and demand
> paperwork. That's racial profiling.

And Arizona just changed that too. It's not random searches anymore. Now police can only request paperwork AFTER responding to or investigating a different charge. So yeah, if you call Arizona P.D. in about 90 days, you better have I.D.
PukeAndSnot

Postby PukeAndSnot » Sun May 02, 2010 6:58 am

2+2=5 wrote :
> These things have to be taken into consideration when constructing
> imigration laws, and these need tightening, but the AZ law is just fueling
> the liberal media's bonfire of all imigration - as the liberal medias focus
> on race and identity politics fuels the steryotypes the right wing media
> (everything but msnbc) have made of them.

Oh sure, this issue is gonna be red hot for the next year or so until the challenges make their way through the courts. Then after it is held up in state courts, it'll go to federal courts for another year or two. But it will hold up and all the hype will die down.

I carry my driver's license everywhere I go in the U.S. (In what states can you get one without a birth certificate or proof of naturalization?) When I travel outside the U.S., I always carry my passport. Seriously, I don't see what the big deal is.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:10 am

I agree, people who are here illegally are breaking the law. If they want to stay, they need to go through the proper channels to become US citizens. But I can understand what Shakira is saying too. Having known people whose insignficant others were always beating on them, I would have to say that no one, deserves to be abused and feel like no one is going to help them. I am not saying those who are here illegally shouldn't maybe be forced to either go back or go through the proper channels to become US citizens, but as for what Snot said about the police shouldn't have to help those who are here illegally who are getting the sh*t beat out of them by their husbands..bullsh*t. I am a tax payer, and a woman, and if someone is getting beaten up by their spouse, I want to see the cops get off their asses and do something about it. I mean, by your logic, do you think that people who are legal US citizens, who are on Welfare and there for do not pay taxes shouldn't be protected by the cops when bad sh*t happens to them?
Mrs._Eff

Postby Mrs._Eff » Sun May 02, 2010 2:15 pm

This whole thing in Arizona pisses me off to no end. It's racial profiling, simple as that. It's total bull and I really hope they get sued or something. It is not okay.
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:21 pm

Apparently, people pissed off over Arizona's new immigration law are boycotting the state and many large companies headquartered there.

I heard that the Arizona Beverage Company, which makes Arizona-brand iced tea, had to issue statements to the public and the press reminding them that despite their name, they're based in New York.
Buttersnut

Postby Buttersnut » Sun May 02, 2010 8:48 pm

PukeAndSnot wrote :
> When Matt and Trey do an episode about illegal South Park immigrants (and
> we all know they will)

Don't count on it. AFAIK, they're libertarians, and I imagine they favor free movement of people as such.
Churlesque

Postby Churlesque » Sun May 02, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm a Buckley-esque Republican, and I admit that when Arizona's immigration first came to the forefront, I thought it was much too extreme.

Of course, it's easy for me to think that, since I don't live in Phoenix. Perhaps I was correct in my original assumption that the law is too harsh, but you can't fault Arizona for trying to secure its borders when the federal government has failed to do so.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sun May 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Niels0827 wrote :

> I heard that the Arizona Beverage Company, which makes Arizona-brand iced
> tea, had to issue statements to the public and the press reminding them
> that despite their name, they're based in New York.

:lol:

Dear Public,

We realize that many of you are pissed off at the State of Arizona for various reasons. However, we, as a beverage company, have nothing to do with this in spite of our brand name being the same name as the aforementioned state.

Please do not take your hostile feelings out on us; we're only trying to sell bottles of iced tea-flavored corn syrup. Even though boycotting our product because of our company name is idiotic, we feel it prudent to remind you all that we're a New York- based company. However, if you have a gripe against the state of New York, that's not our fault either.

Additionally, we would suggest that, in the midst of your fuming over this immigration issue, you cool your hot tempers with a nice, refreshing bottle of Arizona.

Sincerely,
(Not The State Of) Arizona
Jake, M'kay?

Postby Jake, M'kay? » Sun May 02, 2010 11:26 pm

This is about what I think of all of this..: http://instantlyviral.blogspot.com/2010 ... -anti.html
"If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, my illegal logging business succeeds ."

"I have only two modes, at war with something, or having sex with it. There is no middle ground"
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon May 03, 2010 10:22 pm

The law is over reaching big time here. It's nothing more than an excuse for racist cops to legally harass Latinos. If this is not the purpose, then the law is completely unnecessary. State & local police already have the ability to turn over any individual they've apprehended for other offenses to the INS for processing if they're here illegally. Now they don't need any pretense other than "they look illegal".

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”