Shakira Criticizes Arizona?

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Niels0827

Re: Shakira Criticizes Arizona?

Postby Niels0827 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:09 am

I've seen that a long time ago.

Remember that despite the issue right now in Arizona, the whole immigration debate was at its peak in 2006. People across the country were striking, rioting, and protesting both possible outcomes of immigration reform. I even participated in a rally of hundreds of people who wanted illegal immigrants deported and criminalized - and there were actually many legal immigrants and minorities in that crowd.

Without trying to sound blunt, I feel that because 90% of my family are immigrants [my mother, brother, and two cousins the only exceptions], that my voice should be heard far over those of people who are in favor of amnesty, whose families here date back to well over a century.

Lots of people in California want amnesty for these lawbreakers, but given my state's socially-liberal views, a surprisingly high number of them want the illegals kicked out too. Everyone in my family came here the legal way, and it should be expected for everyone.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Sun May 23, 2010 2:15 am

Niels0827 wrote :
> I've seen that a long time ago.
>
> Remember that despite the issue right now in Arizona, the whole immigration
> debate was at its peak in 2006. People across the country were striking,
> rioting, and protesting both possible outcomes of immigration reform. I
> even participated in a rally of hundreds of people who wanted illegal
> immigrants deported and criminalized - and there were actually many legal
> immigrants and minorities in that crowd.
>
> Without trying to sound blunt, I feel that because 90% of my family are
> immigrants [my mother, brother, and two cousins the only exceptions], that
> my voice should be heard far over those of people who are in favor of
> amnesty, whose families here date back to well over a century.
>
> Lots of people in California want amnesty for these lawbreakers, but given
> my state's socially-liberal views, a surprisingly high number of them want
> the illegals kicked out too. Everyone in my family came here the legal way,
> and it should be expected for everyone.
Ah, you have fallen into the thought of process of the "opinion minimalization"- e.g "My opinion is over theirs"
Your opinion and reason for having it are fine, it's just that looking down on the opinions of others because you have some circumstance is hardly fair. Not every person who favors amnesty has that.
I personally don't care too much about deportation, but I don't want them criminalized, honestly. In fact, that would be against the Constitution- no ex post facto laws. The ones who already got in couldn't be criminalized.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Niels0827

Postby Niels0827 » Sun May 23, 2010 3:22 am

You know why, Wii? Because I have a better idea of what it's like to be an immigrant than they do. Granted, I'm not an immigrant myself, but some of my family members faced hardship trying to get here. So many people who have no knowledge of the situation should stay out of it. That's all I'm saying. You can ask people what their opinions are on the whole immigration debate, but I can guarantee you a good fraction of them don't know the first thing about our current system, what's on the table, or even the facts surrounding it. It's like asking somebody who lived in France their whole life what it's like to live in Brazil.
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:19 am

I hate to bring this topic back, but I have the news that a U.S. judge's ruling blocking key parts of Arizona's immigration law could bolster President Barack Obama's standing among Hispanics and energize Republican foes who back the tough law.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38452638/ns ... ?GT1=43001
Still the same as it ever was.
PukeAndSnot

Postby PukeAndSnot » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:15 am

Well the "Creators" didn't put Shakira in the "Last of the Meeheecans" episode but it was f*cking awesome nonetheless! Thanks Matt, Trey!
angeldeb82

Postby angeldeb82 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:42 pm

I think you brought that topic over a year old back up again!
Still the same as it ever was.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”