*1412: Mysterion Rises* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Brendle

Re: *1412: Mysterion Rises* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Brendle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:04 am

willowrose wrote:
Brendle wrote:
P.S.: To the guy complaining about the water, get over it, dude. The water probably wasn't even intentionally misleading people. People other than Kenny drink water. Hard to believe, I know.

But guess what? If he was the only character sitting at the table with water, it wasn't just because he wanted water. It actually was put there for a reason because these little cartoon characters aren't actually people.

But I'm pretty much over it. Because I think I blew it all out of proportion and misunderstood (although I still haven't gone back to watch that scene. Is Mysterion at the table too? Does he have milk, soda or water?) I'm pretty positive MBC had water because milk was his kryptonite.

And it WAS dumb that Matt voiced Clyde. .. UGH. One more "lame thing" for me to bitch about.

Yeah. I didn't mean to be mean to you, man. I was just saying...thinking about the water thing too much will drive you nuts.

I bet Matt and Trey only decided who Mysterion was in the last week or so while writing this episdoe, so there are bound to be some inconsistencies in Coon 1 & 2.

It was completely idiotic that Matt Stone voiced the Mosquito. As I said in another thread, Matt Stone may as well start voicing Cartman now. They forgot who voiced Clyde (Clyde is a pretty big character).
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:07 am

Oh my God, anyone who hated this episode needs to relax. I'm going to gloss over the comments instead of just quoting everything. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and although I loved the episode, I can't factually say it was awesome. But I can still say your reasons for disliking it are bullsh*t.

I bet Matt and Trey only decided who Mysterion was in the last week or so while writing this episdoe, so there are bound to be some inconsistencies in Coon 1 & 2.

Addressing this one directly since it was right above me.

In the DVD commentary for "The Coon" (#1302) Matt and Trey say Mysterion is nobody and it was intended to be like Cartman's Dad where we never find out the truth and they just want us to debate. So yes, Kenny being Mysterion was decided last week or so.

#1. "Don't explain Kenny's deaths"

Why the hell not? Frankly, Kenny's deaths were already 'explained' once and nobody's been up in arms over "Cartman Joins NAMBLA" (#406) And Kenny's only died around ten times in nine years. It's not as if the gag's still used in every episode. It's irrelevant if they explain it because the gag's been dead for years. And frankly, the show is ending in roughly a year - all loose ends have to be tied up, so inevitably, Kenny's deaths would have been explained eventually, somehow. And frankly, this episode has given Kenny enough development to make up for years of being the least used of South Park's main characters.

#2. "The voice of X was X"

Okay, we don't know who voiced who. People need to stop making a big deal out of Matt voicing so-and-so and Trey voicing so-and-so. We don't know who voiced who yet. And to whoever said you're not a South Park fan if you thought Trey voiced Mysterion... that's a real low blow. It's not a South Park fan requirement to be able to tell who voiced who by mere hearing. And frankly, we've been wrong before.

#3. "What was up with Bradley?"

Bradley has been around since "Rainforest Schmainforest" (#301) and has spoken in a few episodes. He's nobody new. It's just the first time he's played a big role. Is he an attempt to throw the viewer off? Of course he is. No it's not a super intelligent one, but it's rare for minor characters to get the spotlight, and seeing someone like Dr. Mephesto or Mrs. McCormick for a moment is enough to make me smile. Seeing someone like Bradley get a full spot is a great personal victory. He's not a new character.

#3b. "Bradley drank water!"

As said, subtle and unnoticeable really. And some kids had purple milkshakes, some what white. I understand why you're angry, but it was a red herring plain and simple. It's possible the drinks were milkshakes and Bradley is lactose intolerant. It's also possible Bradley is poor as well. We also have no idea if Matt and Trey even made that decision - it might have been Eric Stough or just one individual animator f*cking around with us. Matt and Trey's scripts aren't exactly super detailed.

#4. "It's a three-parter."

Wasn't the critically acclaimed and loved "Imaginationland" a three-parter? Hate that episode but point being you can't really knock an episode for it's length. If anything it's adding more to it in my opinion by not rushing it. There's a LOT of South Park episodes that give me that feeling something was cut - take, for example "About Last Night" (#1212) There is a huge plothole in President George W. Bush's random absence. Matt and Trey had a plan for it and decided against it.

Not to mention it's best not to criticize the plot or length until we've seen all three parts.

#5. "It wasn't funny."

You know what I like? That's the same sh*t you people hate Family Guy for - irrelevant humor that has nothing to do with the plot. Yet when a South Park episode puts it's plot above it's funny - people just whine the episode wasn't funny enough. South Park's done over two-hundred episodes and I'd say about one-hundred ninety were purely for humor. Suddenly this season we get plot gems like "200", "201", "Coon 2: Hindsight" and "Mysterion Rises" and people are whining about the humor?

The thing that set South Park ABOVE other shows is how it has it's own universe with real stuff going on. Cartman has psychological reasons for who he is. Butters experiences true, gradual character development. Although there were a lot of slip-ups, Matt and Trey clearly have learned their lessons, and the past three seasons have returned to format. While South Park is a comedy and lulz are one of the most important things, lulz aren't worth it if they cost characters development and roles. That's why people hate Family Guy isn't it? Cutaways that are irrelevant to the plot?

Look, all I'm saying is, sometimes it's more important to have a good storyline than some laughs. Season Fourteen may be much less funny than recent seasons, but it's got a hell of a lot more heart, storyline and development going on, something the series has lacked since the sixth season with the exclusion of only a few episodes. I've never been so proud to be a South Park fan since I started watching four years ago. South Park's grown up from a child to a teenager and now to an adult.

If you're mad, I'm the one who should be mad here. I wrote and prepared a plot script for an entire fanfic that was all about Kenny's deaths and explaining it. It would have been several chapters and by far my greatest work. And now it's all completely irrelevant in the long run because Matt and Trey are doing an episode and doing something I spent hours making up myself. And you know what? I'm happy. Because it makes me feel like somehow, even though it's not true, I contributed to South Park. No, Matt and Trey don't read my personal files and take my ideas, but godammit, my dream for years has been to write for South Park and this is as close as that dream will ever get to reality.

Hell, it's probably as close as I'll ever get to a job, too.
crabcrabs

Postby crabcrabs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:08 am

Did anyone else think of the movie Misery, where Annie says, "This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This wasn't fair! He didn't get out of the cocka-doodie car!!" when they saw this?

All the pop culture references, with bp, lebron, and everything else, left me feeling like I just watched South Park Movie; the next in the line of Epic Movie and Scary Movie series.

To the people ragging on what looks to be one person commenting on the water, just leave him alone. It really was ridiculous. It wasn't just that MBC had water, but Mysterion had a regular drink. They retroactively explained it with his parents giving him an allowance, but that's pretty weak. Anyone with a sense of consistency and a respect for the integrity of the show's writing will likely be feeling the same sense of almost betrayal. Cartman might as well have been mysterion, at least that way there wouldn't be a pretense that it should have made sense.

I've never had nearly this negative a response to South Park, even when they rag hard on things I really like. I feel like this episode did to South Park, what South Park depicted Lucas and Spielberg doing to Indiana Jones.
willowrose

Postby willowrose » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:10 am

Brendle wrote:

Yeah. I didn't mean to be mean to you, man. I was just saying...thinking about the water thing too much will drive you nuts.

Meh. I'm sorry. :/ I'm being far too overly sensitive about the whole darn thing. It all started today when I went to the dentist and he gave me Vicodin. ...

I love M&T. I love all us fans. We're a big happy family and I ... I really liked the Never Ending Story reference. Cute. :)

and, this-

Brendle wrote:

Right on brotha. I've been trying to say this all along. M&T, although they might not be telling the whole truth, admit on the commentary for the Coon episode that they "hadn't figured out yet" who the heck Mysterion was. And that was fun. But since then they decided it should be Kenny. And now it's just not as fun. But oh well. :/

And, pps, this- JVM, now I feel sad. :( This isn't the right thread to be discussing this in but it's like that one time when I talked about how ugly someone's baby was gonna be and the other person's response was that the person having the baby actually lost the baby during a horrible miscarriage. :/ ... I knew the show hadn't been signed for more seasons beyond 15 yet, but, but... thought the keyword there was "yet". :/ ..................................... I take back all the bitching about this episode. : (
Last edited by willowrose on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
I don't have a signature
mazamataz

Postby mazamataz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:18 am

Yo, JVM, Stoley, Carlos, guy who posted like two posts above me... what up, dude! I didn't realize you frequented these boards! This episode review is dedicated. To. You. Because I love you, man. I know you liked this episode and you told me that I would love it, too, but I just... yeah, no, I don't know. I just really didn't give a sh*t about the story or the characters to begin with anyway. BUT. Damn the Totoro ripoff melting my evil black heart and making me giggly. Naturally I loved that. Naturally. You obviously know why. Otherwise. Pfff. A three parter episode? Oh god oh man oh no oh man oh god oh no oh no oh god oh man. Does this story really deserve it? Pheh. I will calm down. The show will be over soon.
Brendle

Postby Brendle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:26 am

JVM wrote:#2. "The voice of X was X"

Okay, we don't know who voiced who. People need to stop making a big deal out of Matt voicing so-and-so and Trey voicing so-and-so. We don't know who voiced who yet. And to whoever said you're not a South Park fan if you thought Trey voiced Mysterion... that's a real low blow. It's not a South Park fan requirement to be able to tell who voiced who by mere hearing. And frankly, we've been wrong before.

Um, firstly: we WILL make a big deal out of it, because it's canon. Later in your post you raved about South Park's brilliantly-constructed universe and character development. Well, guess what? Clyde, a BIG South Park character, had his voice switched. That's a huge hole in the South Park universe and that is TERRIBLE character development.

What next? Trey Parker voicing Kyle?

We DO know who voiced who, that's what I'm saying. Matt voiced Mosquito, Mysterion, Kite and Chaos.

Saying "you're not a South Park fan" was a bit harsh. I meant to say that people who couldn't tell Mysterion was Matt haven't been watching South Park long enough to be able to tell what Matt's voice sounds like. So they're not die hard fans.

JVM wrote:#4. "It's a three-parter."

Wasn't the critically acclaimed and loved "Imaginationland" a three-parter? Hate that episode but point being you can't really knock an episode for it's length. If anything it's adding more to it in my opinion by not rushing it.

Come on man, you're comparing this to Imaginationland? Imaginationland was a smart idea...the whole idea of terrorists attacking our imagination is enough to sustain an entire movie. Splitting it into three episodes was justified by the quality.

With this trilogy...there's nothing in it to justify the split.

JVM wrote:#5. "It wasn't funny."

You know what I like? That's the same sh*t you people hate Family Guy for - irrelevant humor that has nothing to do with the plot. Yet when a South Park episode puts it's plot above it's funny - people just whine the episode wasn't funny enough. South Park's done over two-hundred episodes and I'd say about one-hundred ninety were purely for humor. Suddenly this season we get plot gems like "200", "201", "Coon 2: Hindsight" and "Mysterion Rises" and people are whining about the humor?

The thing that set South Park ABOVE other shows is how it has it's own universe with real stuff going on. Cartman has psychological reasons for who he is. Butters experiences true, gradual character development. Although there were a lot of slip-ups, Matt and Trey clearly have learned their lessons, and the past three seasons have returned to format. While South Park is a comedy and lulz are one of the most important things, lulz aren't worth it if they cost characters development and roles. That's why people hate Family Guy isn't it? Cutaways that are irrelevant to the plot?

Look, all I'm saying is, sometimes it's more important to have a good storyline than some laughs. Season Fourteen may be much less funny than recent seasons, but it's got a hell of a lot more heart, storyline and development going on, something the series has lacked since the sixth season with the exclusion of only a few episodes. I've never been so proud to be a South Park fan since I started watching four years ago. South Park's grown up from a child to a teenager and now to an adult.

Pretty much agreed with a lot of this. Even in their lowest point (which is now), they've got loads more integrity than Family Guy. South Park's jokes have always derived from the plot.

But you're giving season 14 undeserved praise. Season 14 sucks, man. The Tiger Woods episode and 201 have been the only good episodes so far. They even plagiarized some stuff this season.

JVM wrote:If you're mad, I'm the one who should be mad here. I wrote and prepared a plot script for an entire fanfic that was all about Kenny's deaths and explaining it. It would have been several chapters and by far my greatest work. And now it's all completely irrelevant in the long run because Matt and Trey are doing an episode and doing something I spent hours making up myself. And you know what? I'm happy. Because it makes me feel like somehow, even though it's not true, I contributed to South Park. No, Matt and Trey don't read my personal files and take my ideas, but godammit, my dream for years has been to write for South Park and this is as close as that dream will ever get to reality.

Good for you, man. I'm happy for you. I love South Park too and it would be amazing to write for them.
My name is Brendle, and I think Trey Parker is a genius.
slow503

Postby slow503 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:27 am

So awesome.. Kenny revealed.. Was kind of able to guess who was who in these episodes lol... but still great to watch* Kenny wake up! :D
AngusMcTavish

Postby AngusMcTavish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:29 am

I gotta say that I actually enjoyed this ep more than the last one. The scene with Cartman riding on Cthulhu was one thing, but that song was HILARIOUS! Almost like "Neverending Story," but with a dash of something else...Can't quite place it...

As for Mysterion's power...Well, that explains a lot!

:D
Fngrs

Postby Fngrs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:35 am

I know it doesn't matter because the episodes already aired but this is what i had as my facebookstatus earlier today "I'm down to two people on who Mysterion from south park really is...Kenny or Clyde...They show all of them watching the news and they say they have to get their costumes back on. 7 heroes (9 including the coon and captain hindsight)...So Token (tupperware) Stan (Toolshed) Timmy (Iron Maiden) and Bradley (Mint Berry Crunch) are out the picture. Mosquito (kyle?) and Human Kite (kenny or clyde). Leaves mysterion to be kenny or clyde. In the trailer he says he has a power that nobody knows about. I think kenny's power is that he can't die."

Pretty spot on huh?
JVM

Postby JVM » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:37 am

Actually Maz, the Cartman scenes were what I was thinking of when I said you'd love it XD Even though you clearly can tell the plot that was making me go insane.

Yeah, I've been frequenting more with this season since all the other SP communities and boards have been, ahem, quiet.

Well, guess what? Clyde, a BIG South Park character, had his voice switched. That's a huge hole in the South Park universe and that is TERRIBLE character development.

We DO know who voiced who, that's what I'm saying. Matt voiced Mosquito, Mysterion, Kite and Chaos.

How do we know who voiced who? The voices are computer altered. Matt can make himself sound like Trey if he wishes. Usually I do a fair job of guessing voices, but it was impossible for me to guess these. Clyde sounded normal to me. And Kenny's changed voice actors plenty of times.

Come on man, you're comparing this to Imaginationland? Imaginationland was a smart idea...the whole idea of terrorists attacking our imagination is enough to sustain an entire movie. Splitting it into three episodes was justified by the quality.

We haven't seen part three, how do we know if the split is justified yet?

I still don't understand how the terrorists got into Imaginationland, and in my opinion, Episode II did feel stretched out. Episode III wrapped things up nicely, and Episode I was a good opening.

But you're giving season 14 undeserved praise. Season 14 sucks, man. The Tiger Woods episode and 201 have been the only good episodes so far. They even plagiarized some stuff this season.

They also apologized this season.

"Sexual Healing" was a great episode, "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs" sucked, "Medicinal Fried Chicken" had a smart parody B-plot even if the A-plot was mediocre, "You Have 0 Friends" had a stupid plot but some good jokes especially Kyle and Cartman's bits, "200" and "201" were amazing tributes to the series, "Crippled Summer" was pretty meh but they did a good job managing Towelie, "Poor and Stupid" was mediocre, "It's a Jersey Thing..." was a mixed episode with some fantastic elements but some bad ones, "Insheeption" had some flat writing but had some good development for Mr. Mackey, and this story arc has been great.

Most episodes were mediocre, good or awesome. There's only been one truly bad episode so far.

I'm sorry if I come off strong, I just am easily fed up with people when it comes to South Park because I'm used to dealing with people who've barely watched the show.
FreeQuebec86

Postby FreeQuebec86 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:38 am

IT WILL CONTINUE RIGHHHHT ????????? ( no, to be continue at the end :O )

Or it was the final ?

Otherwise i LOVED ITTTTTTTTTTTT

LOL Kyles suck at "Arts" he can't dance or sing or make a good costume or good ideal for costume !!!!

I was ssssssssssssssure mysterio was kyle xD

Kennny could die in the next one ? :O with real ion ! :O?%??
Stingeray

Postby Stingeray » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:45 am

Wow some of you are getting too worked up in here.

Anyway who else loved the Totoro scene with Cartman & Cthulhu? Think I hurt myself laughing, that was too awesome! :lol:
bluefartsmcgees

Postby bluefartsmcgees » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:01 am

Br[white][white][/white][/white]endle wrote:
JVM wrote:#2. "The voice of X was X"

Um, firstly: we WILL make a big deal out of it, because it's canon. Later in your post you raved about South Park's brilliantly-constructed universe and character development. Well, guess what? Clyde, a BIG South Park character, had his voice switched. That's a huge hole in the South Park universe and that is TERRIBLE character development.

Saying "you're not a South Park fan" was a bit harsh. I meant to say that people who couldn't tell Mysterion was Matt haven't been watching South Park long enough to be able to tell what Matt's voice sounds like. So they're not die hard fans.

~~~~OK i see alot of ppl getting pissed about the swap. but i think they did that to throw you off to guessing. and besides they did a pretty good job. but voicing is a big part of the series to the characters we all know and love ehter way the creators had their reason for it and dont get your panties in a bunch bout it cause they switch voices alot in the south park universe do you know how many ppl voiced windy? along with the girl characters voice actors get changed deal just to bring light to that no offense inteneded anotehr thing a true fan in my opinon is someone who sticks with the series in its funny or serious esps that discuss current events just cause its a spoof doesnt mean its gonna be funny its just mocking whats going on and saying their opinons of it like the expressive artist they are~~~ bluefartsmcgees

JVM wrote:#4. "It's a three-parter."

Wasn't the critically acclaimed and loved "Imaginationland" a three-parter? Hate that episode but point being you can't really knock an episode for it's length. If anything it's adding more to it in my opinion by not rushing it.

~~~~i personaly love 3 parters it has more plot more storyline and this esp is deff needs a 3 parter i mean how are they suppose to cram it into 2 or 1 esp it would be rushed the only thing i hate about a 3 parter is that its a week wait til the next esp on a cliff hanger but hey its worth the wait always~~~bluefartsmcgees

JVM wrote:#5. "It wasn't funny."

Pretty much agreed with a lot of this. Even in their lowest point (which is now), they've got loads more integrity than Family Guy. South Park's jokes have always derived from the plot.

~~ ok first of all season 14 doesnt suck. i noticed you picked the funny esps im assuming you only think it sucks cause they doing esps that are more serious to the events. like jvm said it has great plot and good storylines. south park is known to be up to date on events and they like to voice their opinons on it plain and simple~~~ bluefartsmcgees
JVM wrote:If you're mad, I'm the one who should be mad here. I wrote and prepared a plot script for an entire fanfic that was all about Kenny's deaths and explaining it. It would have been several chapters and by far my greatest work. And now it's all completely irrelevant in the long run because Matt and Trey are doing an episode and doing something I spent hours making up myself. And you know what? I'm happy. Because it makes me feel like somehow, even though it's not true, I contributed to South Park. No, Matt and Trey don't read my personal files and take my ideas, but godammit, my dream for years has been to write for South Park and this is as close as that dream will ever get to reality.

Good for you, man. I'm happy for you. I love South Park too and it would be amazing to write for them.

~~~overall i agree with JVM ~~ bluefartsmcgees
Leelastears

Postby Leelastears » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:09 am

I think this episode had a very different feel to it. Kinda a fanfic girl's dream lol, cause there are a lot of serious stories out there concerning Kenny's life. Interesting that it was finally addressed. Although there were some funny moments, the show seems to have taken a more serious tone and I felt bad for Kenny. I can't wait to see what happens next week. :unhoodedkenny:

oh and Cartman was wayyy creepy lol.
Ze Mole: "Careful? Was my mother careful when she stabbed me in the heart with a clothes hanger while I was still in the womb?"
hargikas

Postby hargikas » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:12 am

I am really afraid that the next episode will be the end of Kenny! Real Ions! :-(
:unhoodedkenny:

After Coon 2: Hindsight I thought that the best solution for Mysterion would be Kenny!
:zombiekenny:

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”