No good deed goes unpunished, lol

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Big-Will
Board Moderator

No good deed goes unpunished, lol

Postby Big-Will » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:05 pm

Olbermann Suspended From MSNBC for Campaign Donations
3:58 p.m. | Updated Keith Olbermann, the top anchor on MSNBC, was suspended on Friday after the channel discovered that he made campaign contributions to three Democrats last month.

The MSNBC president, Phil Griffin, issued a statement saying: “I became aware of Keith’s political contributions late last night. Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay.”

Politico had reported Friday morning that Mr. Olbermann’s contributions were in apparent violation of MSNBC policy.

In a statement to Politico, Mr. Olbermann, the longtime host of “Countdown,” acknowledged donations of $2,400 to the campaigns of Representatives Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona and Attorney General Jack Conway of Kentucky, who lost his Senate race to Rand Paul.

Several hours later, Mr. Griffin released the statement about the suspension.

No one at NBC News, MSNBC’s parent, would speculate about what this might mean for Mr. Olbermann’s future, though one NBC executive privately suggested this was not a step toward firing him.

In suspending Mr. Olbermann, NBC appeared to be trying to differentiate itself from the Fox News Channel, a unit of the News Corporation. NBC executives privately said that they saw a chance to draw a distinction between the journalistic standards of their news division and the standards of Fox, a favorite of Republicans. Media Matters, a liberal media monitoring group that opposes Fox, noted on Friday afternoon that two Fox News hosts, Neil Cavuto and Sean Hannity, had given money to Republican politicians in the past.

The News Corporation also came under scrutiny this year for a $1 million donation to the Republican Governors Association — a donation that Mr. Olbermann has been sharply critical of.

An MSNBC spokesman had said that in Mr. Olbermann’s absence, Chris Hayes, the Washington editor for The Nation magazine, would fill in as the host of “Countdown” on Friday, but MSNBC later said that was not the case, and did not name a replacement for Mr. Olbermann. Bloggers immediately pointed out that Mr. Hayes had made contributions to Democrats just like Mr. Olbermann had, but Mr. Hayes is not an MSNBC employee.

Mr. Olbermann’s “Countdown” is the most popular program on MSNBC. He worked at MSNBC in the late 1990s and rejoined the channel in 2003. He routinely draws more than a million viewers a night, and his show is seen as a leading forum for liberal politicians.

He has long been a volatile figure inside MSNBC, in part for his polarizing points of view. He has sometimes clashed with Mr. Griffin and other managers over editorial decisions, and he has been publicly critical of some of his former bosses.

Mr. Olbermann did not immediately respond to a request for comment after the suspension was announced Friday afternoon.

There was some head-scratching about MSNBC’s decision, since it is well known that Mr. Olbermann is a liberal newsman. There were defenders, including a writer for the libertarian magazine Reason, Michael C. Moynihan, who wondered why MSNBC had a “one-size-fits-all policy” about contributions.

Mr. Moynihan asked, “Isn’t it unfair to hold Olbermann, who is one of the most partisan people on television (if not of Earth), to the same standards as, say, Brian Williams? Countdown exists to promote Democratic candidates and liberal policies, which is just fine by me. So why shouldn’t Olbermann, as a private citizen, be allowed to donate money to those candidates he plumps for on television?”

Conflict of interest, maybe? I dunno...
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Pip Tweek

Re: No good deed goes unpunished, lol

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:20 am

MSNBC should stop trying to pretend there's such a thing as 'journalistic integrity' anymore. MSNBC is the liberal counterpart of Fox News and shouldn't be using Olbermann as a sacrificial lamb.

f*ck all those "news" organizations, they're all slanted to conform to their advertiser's interests anyway.
Just_Jackie

Postby Just_Jackie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:25 am

I agree. If they are trying to build a reputation of having integrity, I'd disagree that getting rid of Olbermann was the best place to start. But, whatever. They still suck.
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:29 am

It is a false equivalency to suggest the MSNBC is JUST the FOX News of the left, but there is no doubt in the world they are Liberal and Keith is as left as they get.

The problem is, the policy states this is for journalists, Kieth is a host of a commentary show. Don't ask me why that distinction matters, ask MSNBC. They defended Joe from Morning Joe after donating to Republicans, saying that he is not a journalist and is not breaking policy in doing so. Why the double standard?

I knew about this hours ago, but didn't want to make ANOTHER political thread. Little did I know the mod did it. :lol:
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:52 am

gtaca2005 wrote:It is a false equivalency to suggest the MSNBC is JUST the FOX News of the left, but there is no doubt in the world they are Liberal and Keith is as left as they get.

Well, yeah, it doesn't get worse than Fox News for right-wing propaganda, but MSNBC shouldn't try to act like they're NPR.
Jake, M'kay?

Postby Jake, M'kay? » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:23 am

I guess I'm more liberal than anything else, but even I find this guy to be an insufferable douchenozzle.
"If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, my illegal logging business succeeds ."

"I have only two modes, at war with something, or having sex with it. There is no middle ground"
gtaca2005

Postby gtaca2005 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:07 am

Olbermann is returning on Tuesday. :D
"It's not Jesus.... It's a portal monster." - SuperiourSavior
Jake, M'kay?

Postby Jake, M'kay? » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:37 am

gtaca2005 wrote:Olbermann is returning on Tuesday. :D

4 day weekend.
"If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, my illegal logging business succeeds ."

"I have only two modes, at war with something, or having sex with it. There is no middle ground"
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:08 pm

I see MSNBC still can't decide if they want to be a legitimate unwatchable news outlet or a pathetic anti-FOX clown show. Douchebags.

Lesson 1 for being the anti-FOX:
When you create a news story, don't create a news story about yourself.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”