*1413: Coon vs. Coon & Friends* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

Sunniva

Re: *1413: Coon vs. Coon & Friends* Post-Air Discussion

Postby Sunniva » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:10 pm

I think the ep was great, and it made Kenny my secound fave character, after Kyle :mrgreen:
But I have a question, was this the last episode in season 14?
kpthe1st

Postby kpthe1st » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:13 pm

I loved the tribute to Chuck Jones' 1952 classic "Feed the Kitty". Priceless. F Beiber.

Postby 81397 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Sunniva wrote:I think the ep was great, and it made Kenny my secound fave character, after Kyle :mrgreen:

Nope, one more ep in this season
JBgoode

Postby JBgoode » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:24 pm

Whilst parts 1 & 2 of this took late-in-the-game shots at former BP CEO Tony Hayward, the 3rd & final installment in the trilogy went after more timely game: taking a sh-t on Justin Beiber.
Chtulu & the now Darth Vader-like Coon grabs the pint-size 16-year-old Canadian & squeezes his head like a zit till the brains pop out.

This could be a sign of even more timely episodes to come 8)
SirKerrek

Postby SirKerrek » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Mint Berry Crrrrunch!! Shablagoo!! ...And all that jazz.

Okay, so this episode was definitely the best of the three so far. Cartman as a cat (Catman?) was a little weird IMO... hell, all of his overtly cute interactions with Cthulhu have been weird. That whole line of jokes probably gelled with some people better than it did me. Ah well, enough about that.

MBC was the freaking destined one. CLASSIC South Park eff-with-the-audience routine. Some people might feel shafted, but I thought it was brilliant.

And perhaps the single funniest moment of the entire run thus far: Justin Bieber getting pinched to death. I was laughing through the entire commercial break that followed that scene.

So, great episode. The trilogy was okay for me, not the greatest multi-parter they've ever done, and definitely not as good as Imaginationland was. But it was solid. However, I can't deny that I'm relieved that they're moving on to something new next week. Everyone could/should probably agee with me here: a superhero four-parter would have been a little much, and at the very least, a little lazy of them.

The episode gets a 8.5/10.

And if I were rate the whole trilogy (which I suppose I must), it'd be a solid 7.75/10.
Favorite Character: Butters
Favorite Episode: Good Times with Weapons
Sunniva

Postby Sunniva » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:14 pm

81397 wrote:
Sunniva wrote:I think the ep was great, and it made Kenny my secound fave character, after Kyle :mrgreen:

Nope, one more ep in this season

That´s good 8)
thellama73

Postby thellama73 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:37 pm

Brendle wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
Once again I agree with Brendle completely. It's interesting that so many people hated the ending. I thought the Mintberry Crunch mislead was brilliant. I guess I like South Park best when they are pissing off their fans.

Yep. It was a classic South Park move to have Mint Berry Crunch be the alien superhero with the power to vanquish the dark lord, and Kenny becomes a background character like normal.

Another funny moment: when people start pointing at The Coon and saying "Hey look it's Bruce Vilanch!" It's just a shame they already did this gag in The Coon.

Cartman, of course, totally ruins it by KILLING the f*cking news reporter. Remember the days when it was a HUGE shock for Cartman to murder? Remember Scott Tenorman? We all could not believe Cartman had done such an evil thing.

Now it's the norm. They've totally ruined him. He is now a serial mass-murderer, killing about 5 people every episode. What once was a multi-faceted fat kid with multiple layers to his character, is now a one-dimensional joke of a character.

I miss the days when Cartman was sympathetic and likable. Remember in "Chef Goes Nanners" when we find out his Crush on Wendy was real and how sad he is when it is not returned? That was a really touching moment that gave Cartman's character a lot of depth, and everybody could relate to him. Now he's just a cardboard villain.
ScottMalkinson4

Postby ScottMalkinson4 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Re-watched this ep an d liked it even more than the first time. My favorite line - the Goth kids are in Henrietta's room, bemoaning the fact that they worshipped Chtuluh and things haven't changed. THen the Bangs Flick kid says "Just like Obama". Priceless!
KennyMcAmazing

Postby KennyMcAmazing » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:44 pm

ScottMalkinson4 wrote:Re-watched this ep an d liked it even more than the first time. My favorite line - the Goth kids are in Henrietta's room, bemoaning the fact that they worshipped Chtuluh and things haven't changed. THen the Bangs Flick kid says "Just like Obama". Priceless!

Agreeeeeeed. I laughed so hard at that.

I'm getting to really like them goth kids.
I LOVE KENNY! Second favorite characters: Kyle and Butters
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 pm

thellama73 wrote:
Brendle wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
Once again I agree with Brendle completely. It's interesting that so many people hated the ending. I thought the Mintberry Crunch mislead was brilliant. I guess I like South Park best when they are pissing off their fans.

Yep. It was a classic South Park move to have Mint Berry Crunch be the alien superhero with the power to vanquish the dark lord, and Kenny becomes a background character like normal.

Another funny moment: when people start pointing at The Coon and saying "Hey look it's Bruce Vilanch!" It's just a shame they already did this gag in The Coon.

Cartman, of course, totally ruins it by KILLING the f*cking news reporter. Remember the days when it was a HUGE shock for Cartman to murder? Remember Scott Tenorman? We all could not believe Cartman had done such an evil thing.

Now it's the norm. They've totally ruined him. He is now a serial mass-murderer, killing about 5 people every episode. What once was a multi-faceted fat kid with multiple layers to his character, is now a one-dimensional joke of a character.

I miss the days when Cartman was sympathetic and likable. Remember in "Chef Goes Nanners" when we find out his Crush on Wendy was real and how sad he is when it is not returned? That was a really touching moment that gave Cartman's character a lot of depth, and everybody could relate to him. Now he's just a cardboard villain.

True. As much as I love Cartman, I want him to be human again. I want him to be sympathetic and have feelings for something other than himself. I don't want him to continue being the ass of the boys and villain of the show.
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.

Postby 203177 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:26 pm

cartman was locked in with butters haha justin bieber getting squashed like a bug was kinda nasty but funny.
My favorite sp characters: Bridon(he's so cute!)
Kyle,Stan, Kenny/Mysterion.

Fave ep: ESM Season 12,Sec fave: Butterballs Season 16
bl00d_0rgy

Postby bl00d_0rgy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:44 pm

So this is my first post here, but with that said, I've watched since Episode 1 and have seen every episode. But I'm just not digging on Coon and Friends. I like most of the episodes and most of Matt and Trey's other work, so disliking Coon and Friends is a hard swallow for me. Since there seems to be a lot more support of Coon and Friends than not, I'd be interested in hearing from others who share a similar outlook or have constructive arguments.

For starters, I never found the original Coon episode that great to begin with. It was awesome to watch Cartman squirm and Mysterion take his thunder, but I otherwise felt it never tore apart The Watchmen or the other movies it parodies as well or as funny as it should have. I'm also wondering if my negative reactions to other episodes and events might be affecting my judgment. I was particularly unimpressed with both "Sexual Healing" and "Poor and Stupid", thought that "Pee" suffered with the running gag/voice of "Pi Pi" and the 200/201 debacle is also quite depressing. Sure, their has been raging hilarity over the last two seasons, but for a show that normally gets me in gut-wrenching laughter, the aforementioned episodes were jarring.

To open on Coon and Friends, it feels hastily put together and unfocused. Since Matt and Trey have made a habit of staying current with their satire, the BP thing seems dated in South Park time. The comic book format looks cool and is fun, but only Captain Hindsight's bit in "Mysterion Rises" was ripping on mainstream fodder in the South Park way, and consequently the rest just wasn't funny to me. In, well, hindsight(hehe), it almost seems like Matt and Trey probably hit a wall in negotiations with Comedy Central and are phoning in a wrap up to the series.

Furthering the argument of hasty and unfocused, several elements added to that for me. The LeBron joke was mostly here and gone, and the fact that the BP/DP and Captain Hindsight plots were swept aside two thirds through this trilogy was a gearshift enough. Then Cartman using the Looney Toons "cute kitty" trick on Cthulu had me scratching my head. The Bieber thing was funny, but out of left field in comparison to the other typical Cartman targets, especially since Cartman is always so closet-ly in love with bad pop music. Then the "superheroes", which were very much like "Mystery Men", and Kenny/Mysterion are totally denied the chance to prove themselves because the Jar Jar Binks-via pseudo-Butters is suddenly the 'real' superhero? And maybe I'm forgetting something, but isn't Bradley pretty much brand f*cking new to the point of superfluousness? All so he can defeat f*cking Cthulu with mint and berry cereal?

This has neither the focus, satire, hilarity or awesome animation and sequences of "Imaginationland", "Go God Go", "Major Boobage", "Make Love, not Warcraft", "Good Times With Weapons" or "The Startling". The jokes are so varied and jarring they don't seem remotely coherent. And sh*t, new-MechaStreisand looked better than Cthulu. The only answer I could come up with is the guys might be making a double whammy of a veiled Andy Kaufman-esque pissing-off-of-their-fans/veiled stab-at-Lost-and-all-of-it's-loose-ends. In fact, thinking of the ending as a stab at Lost was the only thing that made it remotely funny to me. I've noticed some state that Matt and Trey have f*cked with their fans in the past, but I've never felt ripped off in the past, and never laughed so little at one, let alone three episodes.

There's more, such as I didn't find "We're Sorry" funny until Hayward got naked. None of it amounts to much worth mentioning as the previous is enough. Mostly this trilogy made me chuckle, but it wasn't typical hearty-laughter-throughout I normally get from South Park fare. And for busting out Cthulu, that was pretty disappointing.

P.S.: Matt and Trey(and the rest of your team for that matter), I doubt you waste time on the forums looking at the ramblings of interwebs tough guys and I wouldn't blame you. However should you see this, please don't take it to heart - I still love the show, and you still rip on the people and groups of the world that deserve it for taking themselves way too seriously. To me, South Park and your other works are an invaluable and irreplaceable part of my growth from teenager to adult, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm just not vibing on this trilogy for whatever reason, but the rest of the season had me cryin as normal. I haven't laughed as hard as I did during "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs" in a long while, and thanks in particular for that episode - felt like I was twelve again, yet with all I know now, and that was freakin awesome. So keep on truckin unless you've hit that wall or for some other reason don't want to do the show anymore, but I sure hope you're around for a lot longer. The world needs your incisive wit.
KennyMcAmazing

Postby KennyMcAmazing » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:19 pm

Stanluv25 wrote:True. As much as I love Cartman, I want him to be human again. I want him to be sympathetic and have feelings for something other than himself. I don't want him to continue being the ass of the boys and villain of the show.

I agree with this. Like, I actually feel like I can't look at Cartman the same way anymore. He used to be a little ass but he had redeeming factors. He was alright under it all.

My true opinions about Cartman are that he uses his assholery to cover up his real feelings. Like, remember back when he saved Kyle in Imaginationland? True, it was just so he would suck his balls, but I think that there was something else under that. I think he genuinely didn't want Kyle to die. Same with Kenny in Kenny dies. I don't think the stem cells were actually for the Shakey's Pizza, but once Kenny had died, he just said, "ok, may as well use it for that."

I honestly couldn't see this Cartman saving any of his friends, as he has done in the past, or one of his friends saving him, as they have done in the past. Through and through, even though Kyle supposedly "hated" Cartman, it was more of just a friendly rivalry and they were still friends under it all. Its beginning to go too far. For example, if the episode Jersey Shore had ended up happening AFTER this trilogy, I'd be pretty incredulous - that's Kyle showing some sort of care for Cartman.

Lol, and what happened to Kenny and Cartman supposedly being "best friends"? Poor and Stupid changed all of that. One of the ways we've started to see Kenny get fleshed out as a character is by hating Cartman and taking opposition roles to him. Poor And Stupid Kenny took a Kyle-like role, where he was the one who fought off Cartman and stood for the "good" side (though I personally agree that Cartman was right XD). And then at the end of this Mysterion episode, he starts fighting with Cartman and lecturing him the way Kyle does.

I'm not saying that "OMG EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT IT'S BAD BURN IT AND DIE!" I'm just commenting on how roles have changed. I'm loving all the Kenny stuff. And I'm sure Cartman will ease up eventually.
I LOVE KENNY! Second favorite characters: Kyle and Butters
JVM

Postby JVM » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:32 pm

^ I've noticed most people who dislike the arc never liked the original "The Coon" episode to begin with.

As mediocre as people may feel the episode is, it did prove to be popular with the fan base, and there was more speculation on Mysterion's true identity than there was for Cartman's father. So even if you, or me, hate the episode, it's the kind of thing Matt and Trey would be quicker to revisit.

Anyway, my final feelings on the arc...

"Coon 2: Hindsight" - 5/10

"Mysterion Rises" - 3.5/10

"Coon vs. Coon and Friends" - 4/10

All just a very forgettable bunch of episodes. Virtually no Stan or Kyle, Cartman's stupider than ever, and I can't even stand Kenny anymore. Get rid of him for good. Please.
bl00d_0rgy

Postby bl00d_0rgy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:44 pm

I like that Cartman is getting worse, I think it's high time he's put in his place like Scott Tenorman did.

Don't understand the hype on Mysterion though. I like his side of Kenny as well, but as it wasn't making me laugh that much I didn't find it anywhere near as interesting as Cartman's real father. Plus, I found the Terrance and Phillip switch back in Season Two to be funny, whereas I wanted Mint Berry Crunch dead, not gloriously flying off into the sunset.

Oh well, hopefully the last episode will at least be better than Pee.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”