Future of TV Shows

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

spfan4ever77

Future of TV Shows

Postby spfan4ever77 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:34 am

Anybody see the Hub TV commercial for some kind of Transformers show? This leads me to speculate that the average SP viewer has not graduated from high school. Think about Adult Swim on Cartoon Network too. Matt and Trey on a commentary said that their experience leads them to believe that age groups tend to watch what the next age group should be watching. For instance, South Park initially captured a male young adult audience. However, M & T's commentary says that kids are now watching the show. I can confirm this. How? I volunteered to watch over some middle schoolers (6th to 8th graders) in a high per capita city. About half of them saw South Park. Wow.

Does anyone see a similar trend?
Niels0827

Re: Future of TV Shows

Postby Niels0827 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:29 am

It's an animated show. Animated shows will attract a younger audience regardless of its content. In the late '90s, I'm pretty sure parents were more stringent about what their kids saw on television. My parents didn't like me watching South Park when I was 10, but I did anyway.

Now we live in the age of the internet, and its ease of use combined with the difficult task of censoring just about anything you don't want your kid to see has meant a lot of people have just given up, if you want my opinion. And it's easier than ever for anyone to download and view episodes from their mobile devices.

On television, South Park was initially broadcast only on Comedy Central. Now it's widely syndicated and available to a much larger group of people. South Park pretty much put Comedy Central on the map, and parents knew which network to block. Now you got the show airing on some local cable stations, albeit probably censored and cleaned up, that also air shows like 'Friends', 'Roseanne', and the six o'clock news.

It was much, much easier 10 years ago to "protect" your kids from controversial, garrish, and obscene content.
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Why, yes. I think I do. I believe they call it syndication.

Now then, I started watching South Park as a sophomore in high school, and I graduated high school in 2000. My point: Yes, the average age is probably high school-aged, but the extremely loyal fans are probably in their twenties like myself.
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
spfan4ever77

Postby spfan4ever77 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:32 pm

I think kids watching SP at that age is fine as long as they understand it. The extreme nature of SP may cause kids to rethink how their actions affect others. Public schools certainly do little to influence kids on an ethical/moral level. From what I remember, you don't do something because it is bad. Explaining why something is bad, to what extent it is bad, and under what circumstances is something bad rarely or vaguely ever enters the picture.

The decreasing average age of SP viewers make me wonder about other shows. Are CN, Nick, and Disney viewers going to jump to the next age group of show faster over the next 10 years? Basically, this could create a significant shift of ratings and screen writing.
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:11 pm

You pose an interesting question. My answer to that is simply this: I honestly don't know.
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:31 am

I actually was very ho-hum about South Park when it first came out. I didn't get a lot of it :? Granted It was 2001ish when I even first saw an episode and I was only 13 (I tended to and still do have jokes go over my head).

My parents didn't want me watching it and for the most part I understood why being in a 'controlled' family household...kinda like Butters. Although when friends played it I did like the N64 game...which when you say that any kid can get his hand on television, explain how video games don't do the same??

Niels is right. It's amination and kids are drawn to it. They might not understand the meaning of the show, but seeing little 4th graders running around makes what they are doing seem cool.

Because of this, yes the target demographic has gotten younger over the years where the eye for this show is now suddenly between 13-16. I really wish I could explain this more but it's just the way it is.
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”