Texas To Pass Bill Allowing Guns On College Campuses

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

zzyzx 1

Texas To Pass Bill Allowing Guns On College Campuses

Postby zzyzx 1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:26 am

Is this really a good idea? Allowing students and professors to legally carry guns on campus for protection?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/02/21/t ... dium=email
BRMBug

Re: Texas To Pass Bill Allowing Guns On College Campuses

Postby BRMBug » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:00 am

No, not really.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:34 am

I think people should be allowed to pack heat everywhere. Just imagine trying to commit rape or robbery knowing full well that every one around you had a loaded gun and would probably shoot you to defend themselves and others.

You never know if someone around you has a concealed weapon. What do you do when someone pulls a gun on you and you don't have one? :tweek:

Hell, make gun ownership mandatory, and make guns a subject that's taught about in high school.

HOORAY FOR GUNS!
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:38 am

Am I to understand that if guns are allowed in college, all hell will break loose?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:44 am

Big-Will wrote:Am I to understand that if guns are allowed in college, all hell will break loose?

It might make fraternity initiations and keg parties a bit hairier, but they do that stuff outside of class anyway.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:54 am

When I stop and think of the assaults, rapes, and yes, even murders that have gone on on college campuses around here in recent years, I could see how more people carrying could be a good thing. Unfortunately all I can think of is all of the regular everyday batshit insanity that is also a part of college life that could result in innocents getting blown the damn away.
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:59 am

BRMBug wrote:Unfortunately all I can think of is all of the regular everyday batshit insanity that is also a part of college life that could result in innocents getting blown the damn away.

That's true. Students are prone to impulsive reactions...it would be a scary atmosphere.
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:52 am

I'm actually in favor of this for one big reason: Let's say you're in a class with a guy who brought a handgun with him and he started opening fire on everybody in the class. If nobody else brought one, you'd all be in big trouble, especially if the campus police or even city, county, or state law enforcement officials couldn't get there in time to prevent a massive shooting spree. In that moment if I were in that situation, I'd probably be thinking SOMEBODY SHOOT HIM! and pray that someone brought a gun.

Imagine how things would've played out at Virginia Tech if students had been allowed to carry weapons on campus for protection.
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
Mopie

Postby Mopie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:01 am

Me being a liberal Democrat finds this bill

EXCELLENT! i'm in favor of this.
Proud Member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:52 pm

The gun crowd can't get over this fantasy that they're going to whip out their pistol and save the day f*cking John Wayne style if something bad goes down. But it's a fantasy. And here's why.

Let's say somebody was armed during the Virginia Tech slaughter. Now you have two individuals engaged in a firefight with bullets flying all over the place. And now the cops show up and they see somebody with a gun and bodies lying everywhere. They are going to shoot him. So our John Wayne is yet another casualty.

Or imagine the chaos of trying to find a suspect among a crowd of people where dozens of them are packing. That perp is going to get away while cops sort through all these conceal/carry permits.

Now let's break down the fantasy of using a concealed weapon to protect oneself. Someone pulls a gun on you and demands your wallet. What are you going to do, reach for a gun of your own? That robber is going to shoot you before you can pull that sh*t out.

Too many people can't seem to grow out of this cowboy fantasy. Their solution to gun violence is to have more and more killing devices around. And this sh*t about background checks and tests is a total crock. Those are already done in such a shoddy manor that it's no problem for anyone who wants a weapon to get one. Thousands and thousands of Americans are killed with guns every single year and more guns means more gun deaths. Period.

Lastly, I would like anyone who wants to lug a gun around everywhere or already does to seriously contemplate your willingness to kill another human being regardless of the situation. You can't unshoot a gun and you will have that person's life on your conscious for the rest of yours. Are you prepared to be alone with your thoughts as the image of the person you killed hangs in your mind? Because that kind of sh*t f*cks up even the people who are trained to make that decision in law enforcement and the military.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:08 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:The gun crowd can't get over this fantasy that they're going to whip out their pistol and save the day f*cking John Wayne style if something bad goes down. But it's a fantasy. And here's why.

Let's say somebody was armed during the Virginia Tech slaughter. Now you have two individuals engaged in a firefight with bullets flying all over the place. And now the cops show up and they see somebody with a gun and bodies lying everywhere. They are going to shoot him. So our John Wayne is yet another casualty.

Or imagine the chaos of trying to find a suspect among a crowd of people where dozens of them are packing. That perp is going to get away while cops sort through all these conceal/carry permits.

Now let's break down the fantasy of using a concealed weapon to protect oneself. Someone pulls a gun on you and demands your wallet. What are you going to do, reach for a gun of your own? That robber is going to shoot you before you can pull that sh*t out.

Too many people can't seem to grow out of this cowboy fantasy. Their solution to gun violence is to have more and more killing devices around. And this sh*t about background checks and tests is a total crock. Those are already done in such a shoddy manor that it's no problem for anyone who wants a weapon to get one. Thousands and thousands of Americans are killed with guns every single year and more guns means more gun deaths. Period.

Lastly, I would like anyone who wants to lug a gun around everywhere or already does to seriously contemplate your willingness to kill another human being regardless of the situation. You can't unshoot a gun and you will have that person's life on your conscious for the rest of yours. Are you prepared to be alone with your thoughts as the image of the person you killed hangs in your mind? Because that kind of sh*t f*cks up even the people who are trained to make that decision in law enforcement and the military.

Hm. I've been divided on the matter of gun rights up until now, leaning pro-gun, but I would say that all of the above strikes me as true. I agree with you. In real life it isn't remotely as simple as "guns protect people."

What I was going to comment anyway when I saw the title was, do they want more school shootings?
skurtz wrote:
nwt000 wrote:Get your trolling ass out of here!

I'm more friendlier drinking some espresso.
zzyzx 1

Postby zzyzx 1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:47 pm

I just saw an old "All In The Family" on Antenna-TV. Archie Bunker said a good way to stop hijackings of planes is to pass out guns to all the passengers before the flight, and then when the hijacker attempts to take over the plane all the passengers would pull out their guns and stop him. Then after the flight everyone would pass in the guns. I bet when the show first aired it seemed like a dumb idea, but now it kinda makes sense - if students could carry guns, it might help stop assaults, etc. Assuming the one doing assaults doesn't have a partner who will sneak up on you and take your gun. Now what do you do?
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:26 am

Let's not muddy the discussion with talk of a John Wayne fantasy. You're capable of arguing logically so let's take a serious looks at this:

triplemultiplex wrote:

That's one possibility out of many scenarios. What if the shooter goes into it knowing that he could potentially be surrounded by armed people? Might it be a deterrent in some cases?

Might a shooter suddenly stop if he sees guns pointing at him from every direction?

Even if we assume the guy is going to stop at nothing short of being taken down (not necessarily killed), does it always have to end in a bloodbath with everyone suddenly shooting everyone?

triplemultiplex wrote:

Again, that is one possible scenario, but I would think that either the people would be pursuing the perp, or have him subdued by the time the cops show up. With everyone as a witness and pointing to the perp, the police are probably going to go after the most likely suspect. Besides, your scenario assumes that everyone who's packing has their gun out and is blatantly as culpable as the original shooter.

triplemultiplex wrote:

Not necessarily. Account for distance between robber and victim, each one's proficiency with handling a gun, and where on the victim's person the gun is concealed (not all robbers use guns, and in some cases, they bluff). The victim could pretend to reach for a wallet in an inner coat pocket and then whip out a pistol. Would it discourage the robber? Not always, but if the victim has no defense, he is defenseless. Besides, if it comes down to risking their lives over a wallet, some people, believe it or not, are capable of using good judgment and not resorting to firepower as the first option all the time always.

triplemultiplex wrote:

Sweeping generalization. No real argument.

triplemultiplex wrote:Lastly, I would like anyone who wants to lug a gun around everywhere or already does to seriously contemplate your willingness to kill another human being regardless of the situation. You can't unshoot a gun and you will have that person's life on your conscious for the rest of yours. Are you prepared to be alone with your thoughts as the image of the person you killed hangs in your mind? Because that kind of sh*t f*cks up even the people who are trained to make that decision in law enforcement and the military.

It's a heavy burden on some, but not others. You can't legislate morality and you can't account for other people's consciences. Just because you might rather be senselessly killed instead of potentially killing to defend yourself, don't make the decision for everyone.
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 am

GeminiShamrock wrote:I'm actually in favor of this for one big reason: Let's say you're in a class with a guy who brought a handgun with him and he started opening fire on everybody in the class. If nobody else brought one, you'd all be in big trouble, especially if the campus police or even city, county, or state law enforcement officials couldn't get there in time to prevent a massive shooting spree. In that moment if I were in that situation, I'd probably be thinking SOMEBODY SHOOT HIM! and pray that someone brought a gun.

Imagine how things would've played out at Virginia Tech if students had been allowed to carry weapons on campus for protection.

Yes. I mean, college students always have the best decision making skills, and will always be mature and intelligent.

Then again, buying guns is like buying candy bars is Texas, anyways. -_-
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:04 am

Wii fit man wrote:
GeminiShamrock wrote:I'm actually in favor of this for one big reason: Let's say you're in a class with a guy who brought a handgun with him and he started opening fire on everybody in the class. If nobody else brought one, you'd all be in big trouble, especially if the campus police or even city, county, or state law enforcement officials couldn't get there in time to prevent a massive shooting spree. In that moment if I were in that situation, I'd probably be thinking SOMEBODY SHOOT HIM! and pray that someone brought a gun.

Yes. I mean, college students always have the best decision making skills, and will always be mature and intelligent.

Then again, buying guns is like buying candy bars is Texas, anyways. -_-

Actually, most college students are law-abiding citizens. (At least the ones I know.)
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”