Texas To Pass Bill Allowing Guns On College Campuses

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Wii fit man

Re: Texas To Pass Bill Allowing Guns On College Campuses

Postby Wii fit man » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:08 am

GeminiShamrock wrote:
Wii fit man wrote:
GeminiShamrock wrote:I'm actually in favor of this for one big reason: Let's say you're in a class with a guy who brought a handgun with him and he started opening fire on everybody in the class. If nobody else brought one, you'd all be in big trouble, especially if the campus police or even city, county, or state law enforcement officials couldn't get there in time to prevent a massive shooting spree. In that moment if I were in that situation, I'd probably be thinking SOMEBODY SHOOT HIM! and pray that someone brought a gun.

Imagine how things would've played out at Virginia Tech if students had been allowed to carry weapons on campus for protection.

Yes. I mean, college students always have the best decision making skills, and will always be mature and intelligent.

Then again, buying guns is like buying candy bars is Texas, anyways. -_-

Actually, most college students are law-abiding citizens. (At least the ones I know.)

Well, the problem is, fraternities have a tendency to lean towards drinking...and drinking turns into this equation.

People + Beer + Youth = Stupidity.
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
GeminiShamrock

Postby GeminiShamrock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:13 am

Yeah. I know. Still, having it to where nobody but campus security or campus police can carry weapons (not just guns) on campus just because of a handful of idiots is a gross overreaction. (In fairness, you could also say the same thing about having it to where everybody can carry weapons on campus and that neither extreme truly addresses the problem.)
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
kfgg

Postby kfgg » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:55 am

Let them carry their guns in Texas. They will do it anyway.
Stan and Kyle :)
Duke Silver

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:11 am

You guys are overreacting. It's obvious they're just slowly making preperations for the inevitable zombie apocolypse. This college obviously has insider info from all thier professors or some shit. Those guys are smart. They know whats goin' on.

I've been preparing, too. So far I have accumulated 17 cases of Beefaroni and Go-Gurt.
Previously "Jake, M'kay?"
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:02 am

I forgot about the impending zombie apocalypse. 2012 is right around the corner. I need to start digging a fallout shelter off the grid and fill it with canned goods. And get more guns!
spfan4ever77

Postby spfan4ever77 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:29 am

Duke Silver wrote:You guys are overreacting. It's obvious they're just slowly making preperations for the inevitable zombie apocolypse. This college obviously has insider info from all thier professors or some shit. Those guys are smart. They know whats goin' on.

I've been preparing, too. So far I have accumulated 17 cases of Beefaroni and Go-Gurt.

I respectfully disagree with your zombie apocalypse theory. Are you crazy? That is not nearly enough Beefaroni and Go-Gurt.

Utah already legalized guns on campuses. However, you all should read statistical studies that explore this issue. You should search for truth, not an emotional high when you feel morally/ethically superior. Knowing is half the battle. Persuasion through socialization channels is the other half. I bet none of you will affect this bill at all or will be affected by it. Why do you try to look deeply into this? Both sides of this issue are defensible. My Buddha, this is a SP forum. You should enjoy this situation like the professionals on Stewart, Colbert, SNL, SP, and every other major permutation of political satire. Worrying about all these issues will just cause you unnecessary angst.

Furthermore Mr. Silver, your notion of zombies is outdated. I was trained in general zombiology during an internship at the Florida University at Ceder Key. A zombie apocalypse will likely not last long because the zombies will eat each other. They are slow and weak both physically and mentally too unlike how movies portray them. More realistically and rationally, we will engage in all out war with robotic aliens as their galactic conflict intertwines with our planet. Some even speculate on the possibility of a racist dark lord from a parallel universe conquering the world with magic. In each of these situations, it is most likely that the fate of the world will rest on the shoulders of a white male college student. When that person confronts evil forces, we want them to be as locked and loaded as possible. Current laws do not allow this. Naturally, the capital of Mormonism leads the way.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:07 am

Hi Spfan, welcome to the board. If you stay awhile, you will notice certain people on here get super cereal about political and religious issues, it's kinda lame..LOL..

I think whether or not students should or shouldn't be allowed to carry guns on campus has to do with how safe their campus is. I don't know if my community college campus is unsafe enough to warrant people having guns, but I do remember, back in 2004, there was a shooting in the parking lot. I didn't know anyone involved, it was something gang related, but my friends and I were in the cafeteria when it happened..I didn't actually see anything, but it freak out my friend pretty bad. Sometimes things like that happen. So does rape, a few years ago, I did see a news paper article about a girl who got raped at Western Washington University in Bellingham Wa. I guess some son of a bitch pulled her into a bathroom and forced her to have sex. Triple, you are lecturing about how against violence, saying eveyrone who would want to have a gun has some kind of " John Wayne" fantasy of being super bad ass..Well, I don't think that is always the case. I think some people just don't want to be victimized, and maybe have reasonable fear, because they live in an area with a lot of crime. I don't have a gun, and I do live in a pretty safe apartment complex..But, if that wasn't the case, if I lived somewhere dangerous, and I couldn't afford a better place to live, damn right I would get a gun and learn how to use it. You bring up the argument that shooting someone would be on someone's concious forever, well being victimized also f*cks people up, that is, if they manage to survive being attacked. Oh and by the way, usually the police show up after sh*t goes down.
BRMBug

Postby BRMBug » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:19 am

Wii fit man wrote:Then again, buying guns is like buying candy bars is Texas, anyways. -_-

True. Plus we have gun racks on our bicycles down here too.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:22 pm

I find it unsettling, the idea that the guy sitting next to me in Econ 101 might have a Glock in his pants. It's like, "What are you afraid of?"

The probability of being involved in some sort of violent assault, much less a spree killing, is so low for an individual that it hardly justifies one to be armed at all times. In fact you're much, much more likely to be involved in an accidental discharge of a weapon you own than you are to be involved in an incident that requires you to use that weapon in self defense. (It's like 10 fold). Because no matter how proficient and safe one believes themselves to be with that weapon, they're still human.

A person would be better off carrying a fire extinguisher around with them at all times, because it's more likely that the room they're in will burst into flames than a gun wielding psycho showing up.

People have no concept of risk and where they are likely to encounter danger. They perceive great risk where it is actually so small, it's infinitesimal while at the same time, blindly go around doing things that are so much more likely to cause them harm. The safety one feels with a gun strapped to their ass (or the ass of some other person) is an illusion. They are prepared for an incident that is almost guaranteed not to happen to them; especially in a manner that will allow them to use their little thunderstick.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 am

To each his own.
spfan4ever77

Postby spfan4ever77 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:13 am

triplemultiplex wrote:I find it unsettling, the idea that the guy sitting next to me in Econ 101 might have a Glock in his pants. It's like, "What are you afraid of?"

The probability of being involved in some sort of violent assault, much less a spree killing, is so low for an individual that it hardly justifies one to be armed at all times. In fact you're much, much more likely to be involved in an accidental discharge of a weapon you own than you are to be involved in an incident that requires you to use that weapon in self defense. (It's like 10 fold). Because no matter how proficient and safe one believes themselves to be with that weapon, they're still human.

A person would be better off carrying a fire extinguisher around with them at all times, because it's more likely that the room they're in will burst into flames than a gun wielding psycho showing up.

People have no concept of risk and where they are likely to encounter danger. They perceive great risk where it is actually so small, it's infinitesimal while at the same time, blindly go around doing things that are so much more likely to cause them harm. The safety one feels with a gun strapped to their ass (or the ass of some other person) is an illusion. They are prepared for an incident that is almost guaranteed not to happen to them; especially in a manner that will allow them to use their little thunderstick.

Econ 101. Just concentrate on your grades buddy. When a person bigger and stronger than you tries to shablahgoo you in a dark alley, you will wish you had a gun. I like to think of this bill as a way to boost consumer spending. If crime rises, then we will need more prisons, security officers, and body bags. The world is overpopulated already and more jobs will be created. Buddy, you just need to think more positively. Stop poking holes in everything. Utah has allowed guns on their campuses for years without any apocalyptic effect. And lets be honest. If a zombie apocalypse occurs in 2012, we will be that much more prepared by passing this bill.
Duke Silver

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:58 am

You all can hide behind a veil of ignorance for only so long...

IT'S IN THE BIBLE, PEOPLE!!!
Previously "Jake, M'kay?"
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:14 am

What is, the Zombie Apocalypse?
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:15 am

triplemultiplex wrote:I find it unsettling, the idea that the guy sitting next to me in Econ 101 might have a Glock in his pants. It's like, "What are you afraid of?"

I would agree with you..An incident where one would actually need a gun wouldn't likely happen.....In your Econ class. I have been reading your post for years, and it sounds like compared to many, many people, you have a nice, stable living environment. Not everyone does, due to their financial status, and that is why I said whether or not people should be allowed to carry guns on their campus should depend on how safe the area where they go to school is. There are still places in towns and cities all over the US where there is a lot of crime, and I am sure there are small community colleges within those areas. You see, I am not talking about spoiled University students playing with guns their mommies and daddies bought them ( seriously, f*ck those brats), I am talking about low income people going to a community college or tech schooll on financial aid, who maybe have a real reason to worry about being victimized by people around them. I think people in that situation should be allowed to protect themselves, because often the police don't do enough.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:00 pm

For the record, I haven't been a college student for 5 years now. "Econ 101" was just a generic example. (I'm pretty sure my school didn't have a "101" in that department. It was 103 or 104.)

The idea of a 'more dangerous campus' once again speaks to my point about people's perception of risk. The fact that the vast majority of crime associated with college campuses of all kinds is alcohol related makes me extremely reluctant to introduce guns to that mix. Even assaults, both physical and sexual, are usually alcohol related; drunks picking fights with each other and fucktards banging passed out chicks; stuff like that.

I live about a mile from one of the largest universities in my state. The neighborhood is fairly safe, but robberies of the hypothetical type discussed in this thread happen. It's not an epidemic, but it occurs at a predictable rate. Per capita, however, an individual is still very unlikely to have any problems.

Let's say someone does rob me like that, coming home from a bar or something. I'm likely out less than 20 bucks and I'll cancel my plastic as soon as I can. I'm going to pissed at the guy, but does he deserve to be shot or even die for taking my 20 bucks?

Having a gun in that situation means one is resisting the robber and that is the single most dangerous thing you can do in that situation. The robber is much more likely to panic and start shooting or stabbing or hitting or whatever he's armed with.

So once again having a gun is having the illusion of safety. A person would be better off wearing a helmet at all times if they are that concerned about their safety.

You read it! You can't unread it!

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”