1st Amendment protects military funeral protesters

Postby angeldeb82 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Boo, hiss, U.S. Supreme Court and WBC! :cartmanyell:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/articl ... 037865.php
Still the same as it ever was.
GeminiShamrock

Re: 1st Amendment protects military funeral protesters

Postby GeminiShamrock » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:44 pm

I know someone's gonna say that favoring the father of the fallen serviceman would be trampling on the First Amendment. My response: Actually, the father's right to bury his fallen son in peace has been trampled on. In other words, his rights were infringed upon by the members of Westboro Baptist Church. Whatever happened to "you shall not infringe on an individual's rights, lest you lose your rights" in this country?

I don't care what anybody says. Free speech did not win today.
Texas born; Texas raised; Texas proud!
REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE NEUTRON FLOW! (Proud Doctor Who fan.)
Proud member of the Tin Foil Hat Club.
Jeff Murdock "Mopie" (1986-2013) Rest in peace, Mopie.
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:16 pm

This is the same Supreme Court that says corporations throwing money at politicians is also free speech.

Even though I hold the Fred Phelps homophobe cult in the absolute lowest regard, I can't fully disagree with the Supreme Court on this one. Free speech in a public place is still free speech even if those involved are spewing absolute Santorum. 1st Amendment problems have 1st Amendment remedies. Just look at some of the counter-protests people have pulled off against these jags.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:06 am

GeminiShamrock wrote: Whatever happened to "you shall not infringe on an individual's rights, lest you lose your rights" in this country?

I agree 100%. That's called harassment. The fact that this went to the supreme court is bad enough, but their declaration of 1st amendment rights is an atrocity and a brutal assault on civil rights.

The WBC is the worst group of people ever. And the supreme court isn't much better.
spfan4ever77

Postby spfan4ever77 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:52 am

Pip Tweek wrote:
GeminiShamrock wrote: Whatever happened to "you shall not infringe on an individual's rights, lest you lose your rights" in this country?

I agree 100%. That's called harassment. The fact that this went to the supreme court is bad enough, but their declaration of 1st amendment rights is an atrocity and a brutal assault on civil rights.

The WBC is the worst group of people ever. And the supreme court isn't much better.

I dunno. People have to sink low both intellectually and empathetically to do such things. Perhaps their twisted minds are better spent on these things than stumbling into other habits.
M00ndragon69

Postby M00ndragon69 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:19 am

I can't wait til the day comes when those fucktards piss off the wrong people, and they get their asses kicked. Some people do not give a rat's ass about things like assault charges, especially when it comes to sh*t like their gay little protests at people's funerals. When people like that are mad, all that matters to them is putting their fists through some piece of sh*t's face. Someday, there is going to be someone like that at something they are protesting. Anyone wanna take bets on when that is going to happen?

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”