Save Our Stan!

Talk about anything South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

ShaneHaughey

Save Our Stan!

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:51 pm

An official Stan Society thread dedicated to gathering support for the return of Stan Marsh to the fold of the show, as well as resolution in a positive manner regarding his mental state, predicated on the belief that this is not the first part of a two parter, nor a sign that the brilliant minds behind the show are finished. Do not clog this thread with trolling.

Stan Marsh has for the entire length of the show been the moral and rational compass upon which the series has pivoted. His emotions were wide and his ability to develop and further plots in a manner most unlike the others has allowed the show to become unique- never truly cynical and yet with an edge, almost wholly dependent initially on the raw childlike emotion of the characters. And it was Stan who set this pace and has ever set the character of the show.

On June 8th however, Stan Marsh's mindset as well as relation to the cast was changed in such a manner that not only was his character tarnished and damaged tremendously, but the positive fabric of the show torn asunder.

We recognize the artistic drive to take chances that perhaps has pushed forward this development, and we also recognize that there is a chance that years of work and mental strain have produced this. And, as always, we respect the artistic integrity of the creators and staff and we are more than overjoyed that they can finally rest after years of work on various projects.

But we, the fans, the diehards and the newcomers alike, believe that with Stan seemingly written out of the show and his character trampled upon, the show has lost something which can never be recovered. It has lost the everyman with ample room for staggeringly deep development; it has lost its moral compass; it has lost its sense of adventure; it has lost its logical core; it has lost room for development; it has lost one of its most important characters; it has lost a character type that has been the staple of successful comedy; it has lost a character so ripe for development that he could fill entire seasons by himself; it has lost Stan Marsh and he can never be replaced.

We here believe that Stan Marsh, through any comedic or dramatic means that work within the show, should be saved from the fate currently prescribed him.

If you agree that we need to Save Our Stan, then feel free to discuss his importance here as well as make it known you support the cause. Feel free to contact Schantrac, StanLuv25, or myself for support ideas.
That's how it's down here on the farm!
Schantrac

Re: Save Our Stan!

Postby Schantrac » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:00 pm

I approve of this post, so much that I come out of retirement and back to the board. ;)

Sincerely,
Schan - original Stan Society President.
No moar sig lolz.

Until I make a better one anyways.

My soundclick profile.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Welcome back to the fold, Schan.

Hopefully, as the ball gets going and we gain momentum throughout the length of the summer, we can make a difference. By saving Stan, the show is saved. The two are inseperable.
James--76

Postby James--76 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Stan is very important to the show without him the show loses its everyman straight guy he`s a leader. Plus he is best friends with my favourite character.
Kyle: Why? How could you do this? There are people starving in Alabama and you give Cartman a million dollars?

Cartman: Line? Lines! I HATE LINES!!!
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Here I come back from the dead! :zombiekenny:

But anyway, I don't think this is the end of the status quo as we know it. I'm sure all of this will be resolved in the second half of the season. Even if Season 15 is the final season as many have hypothesized (seeing as there hasn't been a renewal contract in a while), they still have seven episodes left to do. I can't imagine Stan being absent in every single one of those episodes.

I must say, though, this last episode's ending was a total bummer. It makes me think Matt and Trey have outgrown South Park. Those of us who've nitpicked about every new episode since God knows when have likely become cynical assh*les like Stan was in this episode.

Maybe Matt and Trey themselves feel they've become cynical assh*les. From what I've read, they're family men now. I guess their heart just isn't in it anymore. They're no longer the punk kids they were when the show started. I see them depicting themselves somewhat through Randy as they, too, once aspired to be rock stars. They once hoped that South Park would bring them the popularity needed for them to segway into hitting it big with their band D.V.D.A. Obviously, that didn't happen and D.V.D.A. is no more.

I must give Matt and Trey props for taking a risk with this episode, but again, I think they'll restore the status quo in the next episode, or else spend the final seven episodes continuing to tear apart the fabric of South Park as we know it. If this is the final season, I hope the season finale is epic and satisfying, tying up any loose ends as needed. The show has had a good run, but it probably doesn't need to go on for 20+ years like a certain other cartoon.
RabuPep

Postby RabuPep » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:48 pm

*SUPPORT!* I would just die if Stan was written off of the show. He's one of my favorites and his shenanigans and involvement in shenanigans must be kept alive.

I honestly pray to God that Matt and Trey are only using this as a way to keep people on their toes until the next half of the season.

Because I would weep for ages. D:

I've only ever cried twice at this show: the first was when Kenny died and the second was yesterday's episode.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Jason, mah friend, OP stated this is all operating under the assumption that the status quo will not be resumed and that this is also not a sign that they are near the end. :)

Anyway, some basic rules for Operation: Save our Stan-

1.) If you are going to post a topic trying to save Stan, please spend the time to write it well. We are presenting an intelligent case for an intelligent character. Let our manner reflect that.

2.) No trollin' this thread in the hopes of getting responses.

3.) Beyond that, PM one of the aforementioned leaders of the cause if you have an idea.

The cause welcomes you, Rabu!
KennyStanWendyFan

Postby KennyStanWendyFan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:56 pm

The Simpsons also ended its season on a cliffhanger, though nowhere near this big. Rather, it's just a silly (and stupid) matter of whether Ned Flanders and Edna Krabappel should remain together. As the latter of those two characters would say, "HA!"

Well, I guess both shows are forcing us to anticipate their fall resumptions, though South Park wins in the department of making-me-give-a-shit. Writing off a major character vs. whether or not two secondary characters who aren't remotely compatible (which I guess is the point) stay together... again, South Park wins.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:03 pm

It would be like killing Marge off or sending Lisa away, paralyzing Bart or having Homer just vanish one episode, never to be seen again. Characters central to the fabric of shows, such as Stan, can not be removed without great cause and reason.

Neither is present here. As such, the best result for all is to Save Our Stan!
RacheyraE

Postby RacheyraE » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Schantrac wrote:I approve of this post, so much that I come out of retirement and back to the board. ;)

Sincerely,
Schan - original Stan Society President.

+1 for Stan Society's original Vice President. ;)
Schantrac

Postby Schantrac » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:05 pm

Haha YES! All the original BBSers are coming here. Very nice.
No moar sig lolz.

Until I make a better one anyways.

My soundclick profile.
O'Brien

Postby O'Brien » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:07 pm

It's been a long time since I've been here: so long that my 2nd BBS account vanished.

Anywho, I sincerely hope Stan gets a more proper send-off between now and whenever this show end. I don't really care if his parents fail to get back together, I just want Stan to eventually return to his old personality and restore his friendship with the other boys. Having the straight-man of the group be the kid with the most depressing character arc conclusion seems rather..... cynical if you ask me.
Tweeks_Coffee

Postby Tweeks_Coffee » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:15 pm

If the alternative is having Kyle being best friends with Cartman, then I (and by proxy the entire Kyle Klub) stand with you.

Save our Stan!
RacheyraE

Postby RacheyraE » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:15 pm

We much all ban together to help Stan! Back for a good cause, Schanny.
ShaneHaughey

Postby ShaneHaughey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:16 pm

All rally to the banner when action is needed. All know that Stan is key to success of show and character is lynchpin of all character development outside of his own due to interaction.

All know he must be saved!

The Kyle Klub knows the horror that would be Kyle and Cartman friendship, destroying as it does years of development.

All know we must save our Stan!

Return to “General South Park Discussion”