*1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Discuss new episodes without ruining them for people in other time zones.

Moderator: Big-Will

zzyzx 1

Re: *1507: You're Getting Old* Post-Air Discussion

Postby zzyzx 1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:25 am

203177 wrote:is anyone happy that we saw tweek at stans b day woot! finally he's back!

Yes, I noticed that! It's been awhile! Go Tweek :)
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:35 am

203177 wrote:is anyone happy that we saw tweek at stans b day woot! finally he's back!

Yes I noticed! But they've been using him in crowd scenes for a while now. Ah well, I'll take it! Tweek FTW! :tweek:
Can't we all just get along?
mlauster17

Depressed

Postby mlauster17 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:37 am

This episode is so depressing but Cartman is a total dick because every time someone gets a present he gets one to. I really think its sad that Stans parents get a divorce and his friends leave him.
John_117

Postby John_117 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 am

Pleasedon'tend wrote:Sharron:
“How much longer can we keep doing this? It’s like the same sh*t happens over and over, then in a week it just all resets until it happens again. Every week its kind of the same story in a different way but it just keeps getting more and more ridiculous.”

Randy:
“I don’t know if you’ve changed or I have, but I feel like I don’t have a whole lot of time left, and I want to enjoy it”

These two quotes might provide some insight to the future of southpark.... :cry:

But it doesn't make sense on why M&T would quit now. Right now, their finance is on an exponential growth, and if they stop now, they can seriously get f*cked over on millions of dollars.

Besides, if they really wanted to end South Park, they'd do something legendary and send it out with a bang, not like this.
Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls

Postby Sgt.YatesMonkeyBalls » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:05 am

custom158 wrote:long time fan (since day 1), sometime frequent these boards to read post air comments, but never really took the time to post.

Just purer speculation on my part. However, as we all know, Matt and Trey have based the characters Kyle and Stan on themselves.

In this latest ep, Kyle is still happy with the world, still enjoys comedy for just being comedy and isn't taking life too seriously.

Stan on the otherhand, has "grown up", feeling old and becoming cynical.

As we also know trey does the majority of the writing for South Park, could it be possible that Trey has had enough, writing his main character out of the show and handing the rains over to Matt to be the number one man.

If this is the case, they could try something like this for 15B and see where that takes them, it might mean the end of SP or it could be a source for a new energy and its possible that the show lives on
That actually seems plausible.

Maybe Trey no longer wants to write/direct, but will stay on to provide voices, input, and ocassionally write or direct an episode. Basically, a change in the behind-the-scenes status quo, not the actual characters.
Characters Ranked by Speaking Appearances...y'know, if you care about useless, autistic trivia like that.

Favorite Characters: Randy, Yates, and Butters
Favorite Episode: Cartman's Incredible Gift
Favorite Pairing: Randy x Sharon
TipTip

Postby TipTip » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:06 am

Well nevertheless it's nice to see something with a little seriousness to it. Overall good episode though I could do without all the sh*t in my ears. :timmy:
nall
Site Admin

Postby nall » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:14 am

Uncensored audio is now up.
Pleasedon'tend

Postby Pleasedon'tend » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:16 am

John_117 wrote:
“How much longer can we keep doing this? It’s like the same sh*t happens over and over, then in a week it just all resets until it happens again. Every week its kind of the same story in a different way but it just keeps getting more and more ridiculous.”

Randy:
“I don’t know if you’ve changed or I have, but I feel like I don’t have a whole lot of time left, and I want to enjoy it”

These two quotes might provide some insight to the future of southpark.... :cry:

But it doesn't make sense on why M&T would quit now. Right now, their finance is on an exponential growth, and if they stop now, they can seriously get f*cked over on millions of dollars.

Besides, if they really wanted to end South Park, they'd do something legendary and send it out with a bang, not like this.

Because, just like the quote says, "Every week its kind of the same story in a different way but it just keeps getting more and more ridiculous.” Maybe M&T feel its getting a little stale and are just tired of doing the same thing. Besides, they probably have alot of money put away and more coming in from DVD sales, merchandise, and etc, how would they lose money?

They have 7 more episodes to do that, if this is truly the last season.
John_117

Postby John_117 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:18 am

Pleasedon'tend wrote:
John_117 wrote:

Randy:

Because, just like the quote says, "Every week its kind of the same story in a different way but it just keeps getting more and more ridiculous.” Maybe M&T feel its getting a little stale and are just tired of doing the same thing. Besides, they probably have alot of money put away and more coming in from DVD sales, merchandise, and etc, how would they lose money?

They have 7 more episodes to do that, if this is truly the last season.

What if they did what they did in Season 2: Bring in more writers?
Pleasedon'tend

Postby Pleasedon'tend » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:21 am

Then they'd just have more people to rehash what they have done for 15 years.
John_117

Postby John_117 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:24 am

Pleasedon'tend wrote:

Then they'd just have more people to rehash what they have done for 15 years.

But that'd be good, right, like they say, more brains are better than 1.
benjithekid

Postby benjithekid » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:27 am

Woah, I feel like Matt and Trey left a lot of hidden meanings in this one about how they feel about the show. This one was a bit too serious for my liking. When you really pay attention to whats being said, it makes you wonder if the show really is coming to an end. If it is, it will feel like losing a friend... but if this is really how one or both of them feel... maybe that wouldnt be such a bad thing.
Insouciant

Postby Insouciant » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:28 am

First post on here, after watching this episode I feel compelled to comment.

I have to echo the sentiments of some other people that this season hasn't been that funny. I liked TMI and there was some funny stuff in the other episodes but I haven't really been in love with it.

I would also say that this episode in the most part wasn't my sort of thing. I didn't really find much of it that funny though the cinema stuff was good.

But

For me the last two minutes saved it. It still isn't something I'm likely to watch over and over but the unexpected change of tone showed the episode, and perhaps its' message, in a new light.

To me this looks like the end of the show. I think over the next 7 episodes they will try to 'have fun' with the characters but I hope they don't just make Stan happy and get his parents back together on a whim.

People have been quoting parts of Randy and Sharon's conversation but for me the line (paraphrasing) 'I don't feel like I have much time left and I want it to be fun' seems crucial. Perhaps M&T don't want their creation to become the Simpsons, an enfeeble and anemic version of of something once great.

I remember Cartman complaining about the jokes in Family Guy lacking emotional content. Well for probably the first time an episode had emotional content. The ending, for me, was really unexpected and awesome. I stopped watching it about 90 minutes ago and I still feel flat.

I hope they use the last 7 episodes in a linear way. Make genuine changes to characters to wrap things up properly. If the last 7 episodes weren't funny but just helped to end things nicely that'd be cool. I could cope with that.

For the last 90 minutes I've been listening to a Stevie Nicks song that I'd never heard of before this morning. If nothing else this was the most affecting episode I've seen. Well played M&T.
sf43205

Finally!

Postby sf43205 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:29 am

Finally a great episode, a turn in the Big picture sense, character DEVELOPMENT. I've been wondering for how long will they all be 8 years old going into fourth grade. Btw when was the last episode where they were in school?
Anyway, haven't been so interested about the story since Go God Go double episode, mostly because of the character DEVELOPMENT!
scottync

My Thoughts on the Episode

Postby scottync » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:30 am

So now that nearly 24 hours have passed, and I've watched the episode again, I think I'm just enough over the shocker of an ending to be able to comment on the episode's other merits. Obviously the ending is what everyone will be thinking about for the next four months, but watching the episode again I laughed out loud numerous times (all before the buzzkill ending, obviously) and really enjoyed several points.

For starters we had the birthday party scene and Cartman getting a present every time Stan got one. That's just vintage Cartman right there and I loved it.

Then you have what I thought was going to be the main point of the episode: The cynics, and the people who try to like something to be cool. Those both made for suitable targets, and I thought each was portrayed humorously via Stan and Randy, respectively. We all know someone so cynical about everything that you dread having a conversation with them, and Stan was the perfect embodiment of that, to the point where the other boys pretended to be sick to avoid him and then walked out on him at the movie theater. Randy's performance bordered on the bizarre, especially the performances at the bowling alley, but I loved the scene where he was on the couch with the boys trying to act like he thought tween wave music was really cool. Randy was perfect for the role of the person who tries to be cool by pretending to enjoy something that they really don't.

I thought the funniest scene was at the movie theater during the previews. Obviously Stan fighting the urge to call everything sh*tty was funny, but the previews themselves made me laugh out loud repeatedly. I thought it was valid, hilarious commentary about the quality of some of the summer films the studios try to sell to us. This is a great device, and South Park has repeatedly used it well (Free Hat and The Biggest Douche in the Universe both come to mind).

I thought lines like "Adam Sandler sh*ts in your eyes, ears, and mouth", "Rated argh for pirates, f*ck you", "It's Jim Carrey in 'whatever, you'll go pay to see it, f*ck you'", and "Or whatever, the president is a dog, who cares" were the kind of smart, funny commentary South Park does best.

So up until that point I thought South Park had taken on three targets and nailed all three of them. Then that ending came along. Holy sh*t. That ending shocked me far more than the fact that Duke Nukem Forever is finally being released. Emotionally it was pretty brutal, too. I was laughing out loud at the movie theater scene, then suddenly you had one of the few genuinely bitter moments in South Park, and definitely the first sad ending in the show's history.

Return to “Spoilers/New Episode Discussion”