Same Sex Bill in New York

A General discussion about everything other than South Park

Moderator: Big-Will

Niels0827

Re: Same Sex Bill in New York

Postby Niels0827 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:02 am

NeuroHeart wrote:
Pip Tweek wrote:Well, this is good, but I'm not all that impressed. This is NY we're talking about.

When this happens in, say, Alabama, Kentucky, or Texas, then that will be a true sign of hope.

Yeah... Or hey, maybe California, which has voted it down, what, twice now?
Put in that light, New York just got a bit more impressive ;)

California legalized gay marriage until a proposition ( Prop 8 ) was put on the ballot which overturned the ruling which made gay marriage legal here. Prop 8 was one of the biggest bogus propositions in history. It was basically created and endorsed by the Mormon Church in Utah, which for some reason was allowed to meddle in the elections of ANOTHER state. They used the high population of Mormons in California, particularly in the Central Valley, to promote Prop 8 and sway other religious conservatives from evangelical churches as well.

When Prop 8 passed and once again banned gay marriage, Los Angeles County, the City-County of San Francisco, and Santa Clara County (where I live), became the first sub-national government entities in the world to actually sue their state [or country] for marriage equality. You can bet it shook California up.

When Californians saw that Iowa, of all states, legalized homosexual marriage before they did, you know they had a hissy fit. Iowa may be a liberal state, and California may have its share of conservatives (in the center of the state), but we Californians, particularly the very liberal coastal ones, have a solid reputation for disregarding conservatives. And we're proud of it.

Not to sound like Gerald in 'Smug Alert' or anything, but it's so nice that I live in an area that actually wants to be a part of the fuckin' 21st Century, regardless of what happens in the rest of the state or country. I heard that even my high school had protested against Prop 8 when it passed, with both teachers and students participating. My college did, too.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Time for an even more depressing map than the cousins one

Find it funny having 'unusual' kids is what people say is wrong with cousin marriage, and (among those objecting to it) inter-racial marriage, yet NOT having kids is the problem they claim to have with gay marriage. It's all a stand in for emotion.

the blue bits have gay marraige
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
cynthia325

Postby cynthia325 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Niels0827 wrote:
Brendle wrote:This is unreal.

People have taken THIS long to realize that gay people deserve the same rights/opportunities as non-gay people.

The world is completely retarded.

I agree with you. Both as a logical human, and a cynic (although one can argue both are one in the same).

But I'm also part of the "completely retarded world". And, being a part of it, while also rejecting these views that "make" the world "completely retarded", I will tell you right now that it's not the world that's retarded. It's obviously a certain part of the world. And that certain part of the world has one thing in common.

Ignorance.

And what is the cause of 99% of that ignorance?

The literal interpretation of organized monotheistic religion.

But this is a two-way road. See, some people may call me 'ignorant' for pointing a finger at religion for being the culprit behind this particular issue. But let's take a look at it. What is supposed to be a political issue, is actually not. It's a religious issue. The non-religious, and the majority of the liberal religious, do NOT have a problem with allowing homosexuals to get married. What is, by FAR, the largest dividing point...the median...between the POLITICAL parties?

Religion.

I recall learning in school, something along the lines of "everyone has equal opportunity in America" Did I understand that wrong? So why can't everyone (no matter their sexual orientation) marry who they wish? Right?I hate when any law, bill, thought, movement, breath has to involve religion. Religion can make people close-minded =(

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I thought this was America!"

The rest of the country needs to get on board!
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:43 pm

I recall learning in school, something along the lines of "everyone has equal opportunity in America" Did I understand that wrong?

Wonder what country doesn't bill itself as that? You know they said that sh*t back before MLK, women's sufferage and Lincoln, it's closer to being true now than it ever was in the past, going to get closer when the right decision is made on the "culture war" bullsh*t, hopefully we'll get close enough it's round about true before I'm in my grave. This is one mutation in a long evolutionary process toward the nation america says it is.
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
mo303564

Postby mo303564 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:16 pm

I'm gonna update you Paul:

Same Sex Marriage States (7): Iowa, Connecicuit, Vermont, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York and District of Columbia.

Civil Union States (at least 1): New Jersey....I think Maine allows it now as well.
RTL: I love being a dick to people for no reason. It makes me feel better about how my mom smacks me around with a frozen T Bone steak.
Big-Will
Board Moderator

Postby Big-Will » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Who'da thought New England would be leading the way and not California?
The South Park Scriptorium
The South Park Scriptorium on Facebook

Favorite Character: Butters
Need to look for something on the board? Use the search links below: US version
Barack_Obama

Postby Barack_Obama » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Polls flipped in CA, it is supported now. I seen the ads on TV that they ran that lied about homosexuals forcing agendas in schools and having kids hear about gay sex. That is why I think it failed. That, and I hate to say it, the high turnout of blacks from Obama. They were overwhelmingly against gay marriage. And still are. But after prop 8 passed, the polls shifted back, people realized they have been duped. The courts will kill it in the end, and if they do not, it will be voted down via another proposition, probably along with legalizing weed. :lol:
I have been here since January 2005 with another name. I have seniority. (.__. )

Plants stuff their pollen everywhere, all those kids who get allergies because of pollen have plant sperm in their lungs. Flowers deep throat kids :I

- Unassumption
triplemultiplex

Postby triplemultiplex » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:46 pm

I get the impression that President Obama would love to come out for marriage equality, but he knows he can't because there are still too many homophobes out there. So he constantly has to hedge on this issue and he gives us these ticky tacky positions and even resorts to some vaguely states rights sounding stuff.

And "states rights" always makes me cringe. It is always invoked by persons who are trying to justify some ethically & morally dubious sh*t. They are always on the wrong side of history.

I don't mean to imply the federal government always knows best, but just because you live there, doesn't necessarily mean you're right.

It is comforting to know that with every passing day, another old-ass homophobe dies and a young person who doesn't have arcane hang-ups about sexuality comes of age. The tide of history is clear.

You read it! You can't unread it!
Pip Tweek

Postby Pip Tweek » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:54 pm

triplemultiplex wrote:It is comforting to know that with every passing day, another old-ass homophobe dies and a young person who doesn't have arcane hang-ups about sexuality comes of age. The tide of history is clear.

There are plenty of stupid, selfish, and judgmental people in the world, though. Combine that with religion and it's going to be a slow, agonizing process. But, nothing of value ever comes easy.
Unassumption

Postby Unassumption » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:27 pm

Demography can predict change but...it's slow given those old ass people raised young people with their prejudices. It'll decrease each generation but take a long while to erradicate it, but it could be removed from politics within a short time since most of the voters who feel that way are old. Same applies to racism and sexism which are futher along the path to going away.

"states rights" always makes me cringe

There's a reason the US has a strong central government today; States rights don't work, they create trade, boarder, immigration, tax, legal and sometimes even military disputes both in the early US and older examples.
The policy was originally to keep the union together had no other reason, why keep it today?
There's no good reason for it. If a state isn't allowed to do something by other states, that's probably because it would effect those other states in a detrimental way. It should be the rights of the people not the rights of these abstract vestigial organs of history (pokes the senate). Localisms is BS in Europe too people still don't like the Union of the UK let alone of the EU. Hopefully another thing demography will change >_>

I get the impression that President Obama would love to come out for marriage equality

He'll do anything to try and win the next election - but what point is there winning if your not going to use it?
AND BY THE WAY, I WIN
LosAngelesGuns

Postby LosAngelesGuns » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:15 pm

NY did not learn from the 1st 2 bombings of the trade center. I do not have to do anything the Islamers may use a nuke next time. NY stupid lib moves equal 2 trade center bombings and Bin Laden decided not to use the suitcase nuke because he said it would get too messy. Please continue with STUPID NY STUFF noting CA does have direct democracy when not interfered by the Hollywood puppet fed judges (also noting the 9th Circus judge got killed in Tuscon indicating that the 9th Circus has no fear which is good because that makes more targets, I have to do nothing but sitback and laugh when the bombs come).
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:58 pm

LosAngelesGuns wrote:NY did not learn from the 1st 2 bombings of the trade center. I do not have to do anything the Islamers may use a nuke next time. NY stupid lib moves equal 2 trade center bombings and Bin Laden decided not to use the suitcase nuke because he said it would get too messy. Please continue with STUPID NY STUFF noting CA does have direct democracy when not interfered by the Hollywood puppet fed judges (also noting the 9th Circus judge got killed in Tuscon indicating that the 9th Circus has no fear which is good because that makes more targets, I have to do nothing but sitback and laugh when the bombs come).

Ok... a lot of terms you're using do not make sense, but I get the feeling you're ranting about 9/11. Please refrain from doing that. It's still too early, wait another 11.3 years. :(
Can't we all just get along?
Wii fit man

Postby Wii fit man » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:31 pm

mo303564 wrote:I'm gonna update you Paul:

Same Sex Marriage States (7): Iowa, Connecicuit, Vermont, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York and District of Columbia.

Fuck yeah.

And people don't believe me when I say this area is different from the "Real America" in southern Virginia. :|

I expect gay marriage to be re-legalized in California soon, then probably in the rest of New England, then...I dunno...the northwest? *isn't sure*
effses: Austin confirmed for turbo homosexual
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:03 pm

^^Let's hope so. Then we can get on to bigger issues, like feeding Africa, finding the cure for cancer, and ending all war.
Can't we all just get along?
CheesyPoofs8931

Postby CheesyPoofs8931 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:14 am

I'm straight so it doesn't affect me but I think that it doesn't have an affect on anyone if people with the same sex get married. It probably will get passed.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”