The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S20

Discuss South Park characters with all your friends, buddies and guys.

Moderator: Big-Will

HAcoreRD

Re: The Official Stan Discussion Thread thru S17

Postby HAcoreRD » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:53 am

RichardV1150 wrote:How do we know that there will even be a part two, this could very well be permanent. I do find one suspicious clue in the episode. Stan asked Kyle to notice that it wasn't him who had changed, but rather the world. Did anybody else find that to be suspicious?

That stuck on me too. However, it could be Stan shifting blame on the world. After all, as the doctor said, he got older. If anything Stan changed and as a true adult he's shifting the blame onto something bigger than him.

I just rewatched Season 1-3. Man, when you look at Stan/Kyle's friendship then, all the fights they had, versus the happy moments, even when Stan had to conspire and plot so hard to get Cartman to get a kidney to SAVE Kyle's life, I cannot believe Kyle will just let their friendship die like that.
RichardV1150

Postby RichardV1150 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:16 am

HAcoreRD wrote:I just rewatched Season 1-3. Man, when you look at Stan/Kyle's friendship then, all the fights they had, versus the happy moments, even when Stan had to conspire and plot so hard to get Cartman to get a kidney to SAVE Kyle's life, I cannot believe Kyle will just let their friendship die like that.

I guess you could say he Jewed out Stan on that one, ha!
South Park is amazing and anyone who doesn't think so should learn how to Respect My Authoritah! LOL South Park Rulez!
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:26 am

HAcoreRD wrote:
RichardV1150 wrote:How do we know that there will even be a part two, this could very well be permanent. I do find one suspicious clue in the episode. Stan asked Kyle to notice that it wasn't him who had changed, but rather the world. Did anybody else find that to be suspicious?

That stuck on me too. However, it could be Stan shifting blame on the world. After all, as the doctor said, he got older. If anything Stan changed and as a true adult he's shifting the blame onto something bigger than him.

I just rewatched Season 1-3. Man, when you look at Stan/Kyle's friendship then, all the fights they had, versus the happy moments, even when Stan had to conspire and plot so hard to get Cartman to get a kidney to SAVE Kyle's life, I cannot believe Kyle will just let their friendship die like that.

Haha, that's what I keep saying. Kyle needs to save Stan STAT! Still need to write my version of what happens next. But just how could cynicism be cured??
:P
I love: Stan, Butters, Cartman, Sharon.

I ship: Stan/Cartman <3

Stan: MMOOMM!!
Sharon: What is it honey? (gasp!) My baby's killed again!
Haa, I love that line.
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 am

^^Simple. You listen to Queen for 30 days straight.
Can't we all just get along?
VACOOLA

Postby VACOOLA » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:15 am

It's probably much simpler than that. All he has to do is breathe from the bag of visions again and have another inward journey to find the middle-class white remedy for cynicism, like, say, Spaghetti O's + Prozac + Dr. Pepper, or… Well, at least it won't take 30 days, I guess.
BigGuy101

Postby BigGuy101 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:06 pm

^ Like he said.

As for Stan, we'll this an idea I came up with. I don't know about you, but what they could is this: maybe #1508 can be set in an alternate timeline in which the events that took place on the episode "You're Getting Older" (#1507) never happened, Stan never got cynicism, and he's still friends with Kyle, Kenny, and Cartman.

So basically, after "City Sushi" (#1506), you skip "You're Getting Older" and go straight to #1508.

But that's just my idea.
Last edited by BigGuy101 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
My favorite SP characters: Cartman and Butters.

My favorite food: anything pasta related.
The Silver Banana

Postby The Silver Banana » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 am

I think they'd rather leave him out for 5 or 6 episodes than go back to discontinuities, thank you.

Are you forgetting my proposed Haruhi method? Nobody told me why it wouldn't work.

Postby Stanluv25 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:28 am

I'm off to finally write my version of what happens! I am planning for Kyle to help Stan no matter what. And through trial and error of things, he can help get him back the way he was. And one of the reasons I came up with as to why Stan become cynical in the first place...

he feels unimportant to the 5-some. He was tired of being labeled 'normal' and 'average' and changed without really meaning to. So everyone will have to show him he is indeed important and needed.

Sort of like a play on how Stan is seen by most SP fans HAHA :mrgreen:

Haa, I love that line.
BigGuy101

Postby BigGuy101 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:04 am

Stanluv25 wrote:I'm off to finally write my version of what happens! I am planning for Kyle to help Stan no matter what. And through trial and error of things, he can help get him back the way he was. And one of the reasons I came up with as to why Stan become cynical in the first place...

he feels unimportant to the 5-some. He was tired of being labeled 'normal' and 'average' and changed without really meaning to. So everyone will have to show him he is indeed important and needed.

Can't wait to read it.
My favorite SP characters: Cartman and Butters.

My favorite food: anything pasta related.
Ex1lepr0

Postby Ex1lepr0 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:13 am

Stanluv25 wrote:I'm off to finally write my version of what happens! I am planning for Kyle to help Stan no matter what. And through trial and error of things, he can help get him back the way he was. And one of the reasons I came up with as to why Stan become cynical in the first place...

Wish I could read it, but I leave in 2 days. I'll give it a read when I get back.
Can't we all just get along?
HAcoreRD

Postby HAcoreRD » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:57 am

I'm in Season 5 now, it's interesting to rewatch Stan/Kyle's friendship regrow.

Stan (attempted) to save Kyle in Super Best Friends, while he didn't physically break the bubble Kyle was in, he did get the Super Best Friends to acknowledge Blaine as a threat.

In Cartmanland, Stan urged the Doctor and Kyle's parents to get Kyle to see Cartman's shattered dreams, knowing it'd revive and save him.

Now, the way I can see this situation being cured:

As stated in Season 1, when Stan and Kyle had their first fight over the Iceman, they both agreed to become best friends again as: Cartman is a crappy best friend. Furthermore as we seen, Cartman lives, or thrives, off of insulting Kyle, a love/hate relationship at best. Cartman can't go long without breaking the harmony he and Kyle may have formed at the end of "You're getting Older".

So, how will it be cured? Well, Stan sees and hears Kyle as crap. It's unknown if he sees Kenny, Cartman, Butters, Wendy, as crap, so they might help him, or act as interpreters for Kyle to Stan.

How will this cure Stan? Stan sees everything for the negatives. He needs to be able to see positives, and that is brought out in his friends. It's unknown if the cynicism is Stan's psyche or literally something with his brain.

The only plausible cure I see can come from a combined effort from Kyle, Cartman, Kenny, Butters and Wendy. I think this is beyond his crumbling family.
cartmanrocks363

Postby cartmanrocks363 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:15 pm

VACOOLA wrote:Would it be asking too much of Trey to do more Stan and less Randy… thru S17?
randy is the most interactive parent on the show, the only one who actually has his own stories throughout episodes, i think trey would like to keep him in the show
Stanluv25

Postby Stanluv25 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:46 am

^^

That is what's so frustrating about Stan's cynicism. Is it just him or is it his brain? The way the doctor explained it 'the wires in his brain somehow got crossed' or something like that. So if it is that, there has to be some sort of cure. Or way around it. And it might mean it more difficult for Stan to be cured.

While we don't know how Stan sees his other friends, without Kyle there for him I'm sure he won't want help from the others anyway. I think it's unlikely Butters de-friended Stan. He is too happy and carefree, he seems the most likely candidate to help Stan if Kyle can't.

At the end of the day, I am pretty sure Cartman and Kenny will be Stan's friends again as well. The only problem is how...

Haa, I love that line.
HAcoreRD

Postby HAcoreRD » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:35 am

Kenny will probably get sick of Cartman and transition back to Stan. That is if they even use Kenny.

I wonder: if they'll hold a mirror up to Stan and ask him to describe the reflection, will it be a turd or him?
CheesyPoofs8931

Postby CheesyPoofs8931 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:32 am

Stan is one of my favourite characters and is shown in every episode because he's one of the main characters. If they add in Randy for some of the episodes, he's linked to Stan.

:stanpuke: :stanpuke: :stanpuke: :stanpuke: :stanpuke: :stanpuke: :stanpuke: :stanpuke: :stanpuke:

Return to “Character Discussion”